The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

does binary fission take place in prokaryotes/ what exactly is it...
Does anyone know if the method for genetically engineering microorganisms has come up? I can't remember seeing it but just wanted to check :tongue:
Hope it doesn't come up :frown:
Original post by rebeccalouise_92
does binary fission take place in prokaryotes/ what exactly is it...

Yep, and some protozoa; I think of it as mitosis essentially(not technically as it doesnt involve a nucleus etc) - its asexual reproduction of bacteria etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Does anyone know if the method for genetically engineering microorganisms has come up? I can't remember seeing it but just wanted to check :tongue:

In the specimin there is a question on genetic engineering of bacteria to produce insulin, and in June 2010, there is a question on the same for a different protein called Rennin. Both pretty beefy at 7-10 marks, but I suppose if you learn the step sequence it's easy marks compared to all the suggest questions :smile:

has'nt come up yet...but it can since this is the third paper...there are three more papers yet and then they'll have assessed the specification...on course to complete all the review/notes by 1am ahhh but at least its good to know most peopl are finding it difficult to revise this unit/motivate themselves.

Meiosis and Genomes Gene Technologies topics are going to feature more than others...Genetic Engineering of some kind is likely to come up...if we look at the F212 paper...there was a DNA question worth 9 marks...something similar could appear in F215.
Why didn't I start revising months ago, honestly... :frown:

because you're a procrastinator! :rolleyes:
Original post by ngarner92
In the specimin there is a question on genetic engineering of bacteria to produce insulin, and in June 2010, there is a question on the same for a different protein called Rennin. Both pretty beefy at 7-10 marks, but I suppose if you learn the step sequence it's easy marks compared to all the suggest questions :smile:

What was the answer for the rennin one?

Does anyone know a good limerick/mnemonic for the nervous system?

Nervous system
Central Nervous System
Peripheral Nervous System
Somatic Nervous System
Autonomic Nervous System
Sympathetic Nervous System
Parasympathetic Nervous System

Ive made some for meoisis and animal kingdoms but im stuck on this one :colondollar:
Original post by intellectual1
has'nt come up yet...but it can since this is the third paper...there are three more papers yet and then they'll have assessed the specification...on course to complete all the review/notes by 1am ahhh but at least its good to know most peopl are finding it difficult to revise this unit/motivate themselves.

Meiosis and Genomes Gene Technologies topics are going to feature more than others...Genetic Engineering of some kind is likely to come up...if we look at the F212 paper...there was a DNA question worth 9 marks...something similar could appear in F215.

Yeah i can't motivate myself at all :frown: I think PCR will come up, and yeah definitely meiosis. I'll probably stay up all night tonight to revise...
Reply 1548
Original post by fortunecookie
Could we potentially get something like this? It is a legacy paper, but I'm struggling to work out if it is relevant or not?

10)
In this question, one mark is available for the quality of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
The figure below shows the left side of the cerebrum of a human.

"Picture of a Brain"

A person is reading a book. Outline the events that take place in the nervous system from the time an image of a word is formed on the retina to the time that word is recognised by the brain.
You may refer to the figure in your answer.
(Allow one lined page)

You don't need to know that - you can attempt it, but the mark scheme only has a few marks that we'd be able to get. We did this question in class :smile:
Original post by DontPropositionMe
What was the answer for the rennin one?

Does anyone know a good limerick/mnemonic for the nervous system?

Nervous system
Central Nervous System
Peripheral Nervous System
Somatic Nervous System
Autonomic Nervous System
Sympathetic Nervous System
Parasympathetic Nervous System

Ive made some for meoisis and animal kingdoms but im stuck on this one :colondollar:

Ooh what's your meosis one? :tongue:
Umm, I'm rubbish at thinking these up haha. I'll keep trying :redface:
Original post by intellectual1
because you're a procrastinator! :rolleyes:

I know, I know :colondollar:
Original post by yesioo
Parasympathetic and sympathetic n.s?

does anyone know of any sites that do a decent job and showing the similarities and differences?

No but what I know about this;

Both are part of the autonomic nervous system.

The symapthatic nervous system uses the neurotransmitter substance noradrenaline , whereas the parasympathetic nervous system uses the neurotransmitter substance acetylcholine. The sympathetic nervous system has a ganglion just outside the CNS which joins the 2 neurones and the pre-ganglionic neurones are all very short. Wheras the parasympathetic nervous system consists of neurones which are longer/ variable lengths. In the parasympathetic nervous system, neurones are linked at teh ganglion within the target tissue.

Both change heart rate and have a variety of effects on the body.

Effects of the sympathatic nervous system increases heart rate, increases breathing rate, causes pupils to dilate and orgasm. The sympathetic nervous system is involved in the flight or fight response- variety of co-ordinated responses to situation of percieved danger. Controlled by teh nervous and hormonal system.

Whereas parasympathetic nervous system has the opposiste effects. The 2 systems are antagonistic to one another. The oarasymathetic nervous system, decreases heart rate, and breathing rate, and causes pupils to constrict however it also causes sexual arousal :tongue:

Remember the basic difference between the 2 sub-systems of the autonomic nervous system are that the sympathetic nervous system is active in times of stress and the parasympathetic in times of relaxation/ rest e.g. sleep- although both work to a greater or lesser extent all the time :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ngarner92

Ohh okay, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 1553
hey dumbest question... whats a genome?? (isit just a chromosome) ...keep getting confused :P
Miss prophase crossed over, to meet Mr Meta on the equator. They lived happily ever after, until they split because Meta was cheating with Ana. Whilst this was going on, Mr telo decided to split.
Original post by jak67m
hey dumbest question... whats a genome?? (isit just a chromosome) ...keep getting confused :P

A subset of all the genes present within an individual organism.
:tongue:
Original post by jak67m

genome is just every single piece of genetic information.

chromosome is just one molecule of DNA
Original post by jak67m

A genome is the genetic make up of an organism. It is the nucleotide base sequences it contains.

Genomes are sequenced and can be put on a public access database.
Reply 1558
How much detail are people learning for spread 2.1.20. The specification says 'Explain the significance of the various concepts of the species with reference to the biological concept and the phylogentic species concept'
What exactly is the significance? :s-smilie:
Original post by jak67m

it's the whole genetic make up in the body!

Quick Reply

Latest