The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4(6BIO4) 13/06/11 - OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkiee
Outline the causes of global warming including the role of greenhouse gases (carbon dioxide and methane, CH4) in the greenhouse effect.

Describe the effects of global warming (rising temperature, changing rainfall patterns and seasonal cycles) on plants and animals (distribution of species, development and life cycles).

Explain the effect of increasing temperature on the rate of enzyme activity in plants, animals and micro-organisms.

Describe how to investigate the effects of temperature on the development of organisms (eg seedling growth rate, brine shrimp hatch rates).

Analyse and interpret different types of evidence for global warming and its causes (including records of carbon dioxide levels, temperature records, pollen in peat bogs and dendrochronology) recognising correlations and causal relationships.

Describe that data can be extrapolated to make predictions, that these are used in models of future global warming, and that these models have limitations.

Discuss the way in which scientific conclusions about controversial issues, such as what actions should be taken to reduce global warming or the degree to which humans are affecting global warming, can sometimes depend on who is reaching the conclusions.

Thats all we need to know about global warming

Does anyone know the answers to any of this???

I dont know anything bout the global warming sectionnn!!! :confused:
Reply 221
Original post by LibbyU
Completely agree with you. I get straight A's in all my other subjects but when it comes to biology im permanently stuck on a C (if I'm lucky!!) and the thing is I feel like I genuinely understand everything in the book but when it comes to exams the way the questions are written are so annoying! it takes ages to work out what they're actually asking, loads of them are maths questions and data interpretation (I don't do maths!!) and personally I think they don't give us enough time to complete the paper... If we were given extra time I know I could do better.
what grades have you been getting in bio?

It annoys me when maths questions come up or things related to chemistry, its not very fair on people that do neither of these a levels.

Biology, when you the 1st question is a bitch or stress you out at the beginning like the JAN 2011 paper, it completely knocks you down cause ur mind think the other question would be exactly the same, and i hate 'SUGGEST' questions with a passion.
Original post by darkiee
no carbohydrate is the product

aren't starch/sugar carbohydrates?
can anybody atleast predict what topics will come up in the exam???
Original post by LibbyU
Is anyone else absolutely ****ting themselves for this exam?!
I've revised everything for topic 5/6, I know the core practicals and I've completed and marked all the past papers available (3 I think) and I still feel like I know nothing and feel hugely unprepared! the January exam has definitely knocked my confidence (I got a D) and just the fact that I know so much is relying on this exam to get into uni :frown: arghhh!! anyone else feeling the same?

also does anyone else hate all the ecology stuff? I find that I only really understand and am interested in the human biology stuff like the immune system, but all the crap about succession and global warming is just soooo boring!

what is everyone doing in terms of last minute revision?

OMG sameeeeeee! :eek:

I havent done any core practical stuff cos our teacher hasnt given us anyyything due to our second teacher randomnly leaving half way thru the year so she had to take on double the load in less time...
and i havent done any past papers cos still feel i know nufinnnn in the content...
but planning on doin all past papers later tonight/tmrww all day..

yehh i need an A overall for A level in biology, i already got 2 B's in AS..but this is toughh! :frown:
and yesss i hateeeee ecology stuff and the global warming stuff is boring.. ive only jus come to terms wid tryna read thru succession which wernt too bad...
but yeh unit 5 seems soo much more interestin!!

in terms of last min revision im firstly like :eek: :frown: :confused:
and secondly jus like reading over notes...
gna do past papers tmrw i guess :confused::confused::confused:
hey erm i thought there was gonna be a revision session on this thread on saturdayyy?!
unless its been moved to a separate thread can someone post me the link plzzz
Reply 226
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
aren't starch/sugar carbohydrates?

They are a form of carbohydrate but not exactly, STARCH ARE CARBOHYDRATE CONVERTED INTO POLYSACCAHRIDE FOR ENERGE STORAGE. remember amylopectin and amylose? Branched and Unbranched chains?
Reply 227
Original post by knowledgeISgood

We cant, Just go over the syllabus and read what you need to know.
Original post by darkiee
They are a form of carbohydrate but not exactly, STARCH ARE CARBOHYDRATE CONVERTED INTO POLYSACCAHRIDE FOR ENERGE STORAGE. remember amylopectin and amylose? Branched and Unbranched chains?

Isn't starch a polysaccharide anyway by definition?

And the mark scheme said starch / sugar / eq

So wouldn't carbohydrate be counted in the eq?
Original post by LibbyU
Is anyone else absolutely ****ting themselves for this exam?!
I've revised everything for topic 5/6, I know the core practicals and I've completed and marked all the past papers available (3 I think) and I still feel like I know nothing and feel hugely unprepared! the January exam has definitely knocked my confidence (I got a D) and just the fact that I know so much is relying on this exam to get into uni :frown: arghhh!! anyone else feeling the same?

also does anyone else hate all the ecology stuff? I find that I only really understand and am interested in the human biology stuff like the immune system, but all the crap about succession and global warming is just soooo boring!

what is everyone doing in terms of last minute revision?

I feel EXACTLY the same as you, Im relying on this exam to go to uni next year! I need a B minimum! and i also feel as i know nothing eventough ive done all the papers lots of times! i hope monday´s exam is a nice one.
Reply 230
Isn't starch a polysaccharide anyway by definition?

And the mark scheme said starch / sugar / eq

So wouldn't carbohydrate be counted in the eq?

I dont know what they would say, erm only the examiner would know really, so what is the product?
Reply 231
Original post by knowledgeISgood

i reckon the brine shrimp / seedling temperature experiment will come up as its the only experiment not to have come up yet
Can someone help me out with a link to June 2010 and January 2011 Past Papers please?
Reply 233
Original post by mobius323
Can someone help me out with a link to June 2010 and January 2011 Past Papers please?

Check page 10 of the thread Inittowinitgetit has posted it quoting me
Original post by darkiee
I dont know what they would say, erm only the examiner would know really, so what is the product?

MS:
- idea of carbon fixation produces {GP / eq}
- (product) is converted to {starch / sugar /
eq}'', which I assume the product is either GALP or glucose.

Really the product of photosynthesis is glucose, which is then used to synthesise various things.

The MS for Jan 11 was a weird one in general. I just did and got 66/90, and ended up getting 4/5, 2/3 on most questions. And the points which I missed, I would never have got them if I kept going on and on either. Maybe it is just me :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mobius323

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=32015512&postcount=157
Reply 236
MS:
- idea of carbon fixation produces {GP / eq}
- (product) is converted to {starch / sugar /
eq}'', which I assume the product is either GALP or glucose.

Really the product of photosynthesis is glucose, which is then used to synthesise various things.

The MS for Jan 11 was a weird one in general. I just did and got 66/90, and ended up getting 4/5, 2/3 on most questions. And the points which I missed, I would never have got them if I kept going on and on either. Maybe it is just me :s-smilie:

What I Have Noticed, State the Bleeding obvious in your answer, even if it looks like you would b repeating questions, some of them answer DO get you marks. I have met a lot of question like that, i would never have thought have to put it in cause its stupid and they are actually in the mark scheme

Cheers mate. I don't suppose you happen to have the Exam Reports too?
Reply 238
PLEASE can some one go over the investigations...i know the Antibiotic one and the Species Distribution...is there just the Brine shrimp one left? If so can some one PLEASe go over the Brine Shrimp investigation!
is anyone gonna be posting revision stuff or jus random stuff?...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending