The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

OH CRAP i haven't done any revision. ****, im so screwed for this exam.
I wonder who's fault that is?
Maybe if I don't contribute anything and tell everyone on this thread like it's my freaking facebook page or twitter, the people that are actually trying to work will help me and it'll all be okay!
Haha this is great :biggrin:
If only it was true...
SCRIBLINK REVISION (you know you want to :colone: )
http://www.scriblink.com/index.jsp?act=phome&roomid=307&KEY=84A6929D48B1085CA3259EFC600F67F1

might be useful to ask eachother some questions and offer answers! x
Original post by Lad McChunderlash
OH CRAP i haven't done any revision. ****, im so screwed for this exam.
I wonder who's fault that is?
Maybe if I don't contribute anything and tell everyone on this thread like it's my freaking facebook page or twitter, the people that are actually trying to work will help me and it'll all be okay!

:hmmm:
Original post by ManPowa
Didnt you go onto Uni? Or did you retake the year?

Gap year... I couldn't get into uni due to my grades.. so is life but anyways this time I am off for definite.
Reply 1585
Original post by jak67m
ok so confused again... book sez this

Genomes are mapped to identify which part of the genome that they come from. Information that
is already known is used, such as the location of microsatellites
Samples of the genome are mechanically sheared into smaller sections of around 100,000 base
pairs
These sections are places in separate Bacterial Artificial Chromosomes (BACs) and transferred to E.
coli cells. As the cells are grown in culture, many copies of the sections are produced- referred to as
Clone Libraries

I just dont understand it.... like "Genomes are mapped to identify which part of the genome that they come from."
everything is confusing me

can anyone just tell me in a simple way with all the key terms PLEASEE!

Genomes are mapped - basically a fancy way of saying they are looked at and put in order
microsatellites- if i recall correctly are long repetitive sequences of base pairs which have been replicated many times (by accident-mutation) over many many many generations. They are basically used to help them put the genome in order

The ordered genome is then cut into smaller peices so they can can be put into the BACs. BACs are needed so it can be put into the bacteria (E.Coli).
Bacteria can then grow and replicate so you can have many copies of the DNA - a 'library' of the DNA.
Reply 1586
I just done the speciemen paper it was okay the succession bit caught me off guard abit .. but loved the 10 mark on transcription and translation :biggrin: .... Would love if that exact same paper came up or that question !
What would you write for sliding filament model?
Original post by sportycricketer
Hey dude, considering you've done the exam, can you tell me the brief order of genome sequencing?

I will try to recall however much I can,so please excuse any of my unintended mistakes.

For a plant,leaves are crushed and put into a testube where dna is made to leak it by suspension.Primers,DNA polymerase are further added here primers act as start lines for the DNA polymerase to start replicating part of DNA.The nucleoitides available to the DNA polymerase are of different nature ,they are doubly de-oxidised,are labbeled in four different color depending on the base,these are called 'tagged' nucleotides.
As the polymerase keeps catalzying the reaction once a 'tagged nucleotide' is attach to the chain,no further phosphodiesteration occurs.We end up with DNA fragments.

These are made to go through a tube which has potential difference going through it,depending on the sizes of these 'DNA fragments/chunks' laser at the end of the tube estimates their time of arrival,in this way genome is structured.Since dna is acidic these fragments tend to go from +ve to negative terminal.

Probes can also be added to them in order to identify.PCR is used to increase the quantity of genetic material.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1589
Original post by Waqar Y
Haha, sure

----

Plants respond to there enviroment to avoid predation and abiotic stress, so that they are able to photosynthesize effectively and survive.

Plants respond through tropisms, a tropism is a directional growth response of a plant determined by the direction of the external stimulus.

To produce a tropism, a plant produces growh hormones or plant growth substances. These are hormones which are released by specific parts of the plant to bind to target cells to initiate a response > due to the receptor having a complimentary shape for the hormone to bind to, and trigger an effect.

Auxins

-Produces in the apical bud(the apex) of the shoot tip in the plant
-Involved in cell elongation, stem elongation and also preventing leaf abcission.

Auxin is also involved in a phototrophic response, this response happens because, as light hits the plant, the apical bud produces auxins that are able to flow down the shaded side(the side of the plant that is not exposed to the sun). Auxin causes cell elongation by helping in the active transport of hydrogen ions into the cell wall, this allows optimum pH for expansioners to work, these expansioners are able to break the bonds between cellulose(which are going to be glycosidic bonds i believe) and so the plant is able to take in water, causing elongation.
This then means that the shoot bends towards a light source.

Auxins are also involved in apical dominance, the growing apical bud inhibits the groth of the lateral bud(side shoots) further down the plant. It's been tested experimentally, because if you remove apical bud of a plant, side shoots are able to grow. If you apply synthethic auxin once you've removed the apical bud, side shoots don't grow.

Gibberlinnins - need to know a bit about them, just that they cause internodal stem elongation which has been tested experimentally, by applying synthethic GA (gibberlillic acid) to dwarf varities of plants, your able to produce tall plants > this is useful in sugar cane crops, so GA is applied.

Leaf abcission/leaf fall in decidicous plants

This is caused by a variety of hormones.

-Auxin prevents leaf loss by acting on the cells of the abcission zone, but as the cell gets older, the auxin concentration decreases

-As auxin conc decreases, concentration of Ethene increases, working antagonistically - ethene causes enzymes (cellulase) to digest the cell wall of the cells in the abcission zone > which means the leaf seperates from the stem :smile:

-Cytokinins are also involved, they prevent leaf loss by making the cells in the abcission zone a sink for phloem transport, so get's a good supply of nutrients, e.g sucrose.

Commercial use of plant hormones

Auxins can be applied to fruit trees to prevent fruit from dropping early, auxin is also used as a herbicide as it causes cell elongation, and also increases the length of the stem > this means that the plant will need to take up more nutrients from which it can't get and so will die.

Auxins can be used as rooting powder, as they promote seed germination i think

Gibberlennins are used in the brewing process (forgot how)
Gibberlniegnegns are used to produce long internode crops e.g sugar cane

Cytokinins - can be applied to plants to prevent leaf fall

Ethene - can be applied to plants to allow them to fall earlier, this applies to bannanas which are sprayed with ethene, so when they are packaged and sold - they ripen.

that's all of plant responses done.. woo

Wow.. thanks for that Waqar :smile:
remind me to pos rep you tomorrow!

- The Gibberellins promote seed germination
- I don't think we need to know how but just for the record.. you need malt to make beer.. when barley seeds germinate the aleurone layer of the seed produces AMYLASE enzymes to break down the stored STARCH in to MALTOSE, usually the genes for amylase production are switched on by naturally occuring gibberellins, if you add gibberellins urself, you can speed this process up :smile: ..dry and grind up seeds to make malt.

I have a feeling this could turn in to a lac operon-ish q..

anywaysss.....

Neuromuscular junction? synapse?

differences/similarities to neurotransmitter junctionn?
Reply 1590
Original post by slacker07906

About the Myosin Heads they bind to something* and then bend causing thin filaments to cross over thick filaments forming cross bridge.
Its a power stroke
you need atp
Tropomyosin tropnin

Can someone please fix my answer into words thanks
Reply 1591
Original post by slacker07906

Of how the contraction happens?

The TROPOMYOSIN molecules cover the binding site on the ACTIN filament, and they are held in place by the TROPONIN molecules.. when the action potential arrives calcium ions are released by the sarcoplasmic reticulum, these bind to the TROPONIN molecules, changing the shape... this in turn moves the TROPOMYOSIN away from the binding site on the ACTIN FILAMENT so it is now free... now the MYOSIN heads can bind to the ACTIN FILAMENT..known as a CROSS BRIDGE.. and can pull it over the MYOSIN bending the heads backwards, this is known as the POWER STROKE and requires ATP when the head detaches from the ACTIN FILAMENT, this ATP is hydrolysed to ADP+Pi...
The supply of ATP is maintained by the mitochondria in the muscle cells.

Hope that helps.. you should know the diagram too, and the zones as there has not yet been a question on that either.
Reply 1592
Original post by mazam
About the Myosin Heads they bind to something* and then bend causing thin filaments to cross over thick filaments forming cross bridge.
Its a power stroke
you need atp
Tropomyosin tropnin

Can someone please fix my answer into words thanks

Think I might just have done that... excuse me for any mistakes, more than happy to be corrected! :smile:
42 hours to go til this exam! How are you people preparing?

Which topics do you think are likely to come up?
This may seem extremely cheeky but I saw earlier some predictions (or stuff that hasn't come up before) - I can't find it again and I know one topic was meiosis but does anyone know any others? thanks :smile:
Reply 1595
Theres lots
Apoptosis
Sliding filament
brain
epistasis
gene theraphy
galapagos and humans
golden rice
few others but cant remember them
I think PCR will come up, definitely something on genetic engineering/gene therapy, galapagos islands look likely aswell, and succession. :redface:
Original post by heartskippedabeat
I think PCR will come up, definitely something on genetic engineering/gene therapy, galapagos islands look likely aswell, and succession. :redface:

Have no idea- have just revised golden rice and xenotransplantation. I reckon a long ethics/ rights and wrongs question on one of these :s-smilie:
Original post by mazam
Theres lots
Apoptosis
Sliding filament
brain
epistasis
gene theraphy
galapagos and humans
golden rice
few others but cant remember them

Apoptosis was on the june 10 paper,I think.
can anyone tell me, you know in interrupted PCR... what is it exactly that means the dna polymerase is thrown off when it comes to a died base? something is missing that isn't complementary i think :s ....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending