The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

I reckon there will be one religious language question, one nature of God question, one life after death question, and then it will be either religious experience OR miracles.
Original post by philly.tidd
But if it was culturally relative, wouldn't this make it non-cognitive?

And what about other ethical words, sorry, still not clear on how he is arguing that ethical language as a whole is meaningful.

EDIT: is it that he is saying we can know it through reason in a similar way to Kant? i.e. our duties are absolute?

Think I'm pretty much just thinking aloud now lmao.

It's cognitive because it's recognising objective good exists, it just emobdies itsellf culturally. For example, a hedonic naturalist sees good = pleasure. However, what is pleasure for me/western culture is far different from you/other cultures.

Ethical language is meaningful because what is good can be found and does have objective existance.

Bradley says we should use nature (where naturalism comes from) like science to know what is good. I say 'abortions are good'. While Kant would use reason to universalise/means to an end, Bradley would scientifically look to the environment and ask 'are women more happy? Is money more plentiful?' etc.
Original post by Ineluctable
I reckon there will be one religious language question, one nature of God question, one life after death question, and then it will be either religious experience OR miracles.

I'd be pleased with that... would just avoid the religious language question!
Original post by Anna Louise
really ? are you sure you don't mean that awful blue one by ocr ? i'm meaning the really thick orange and turquoise one for philosophy by matthew taylor and then the ethics is a purpley book, by jill oliphant. was lead to believe they were good so used them both last year and managed to get a high a. which is why i'm so wary of switching to another book.. if that makes sense ! :P

ahh bowie yeahh i've heard of him ! hmm.. so you don't think it's bad to be solely using this 2nd edition, advanced religious studies ? it's really, really good and seems to have everything in it, + additional quotes to boost your grade.

ahh yeahh that sounds good :smile: damnn literally one and a bit days left and i'm only just questioning what resources to use ! ohh dearr :frown: i'm soo not looking forward to monday ! what grade are you hoping of getting by the way ?

You sound very stressed! I've never heard of the materials you're using, but they sound fine by me. Yeah, I was referring to the "awful blue one", which is a fairly good summary of that book!

To be honest, there's no way you'll be able to get any other textbooks or revision guides for this subject in the next 36 hours, so don't fret about it. Keep revising however you revise now and I'm sure you'll be OK. Are you working on a few specific topics, or trying to revise every single unit?

I'm hoping for an A in this exam - I mean, really, really hoping, since my offer is AABb and whilst the other grades are pretty secure, I'm something like .5 UMS into the A in RS at AS, so I absolutely need the A this year. And yourself?

You do realise that you've only made 1 prediction there: religious experience and miracle won't be both on the paper :P
Original post by KieranJones
You sound very stressed! I've never heard of the materials you're using, but they sound fine by me. Yeah, I was referring to the "awful blue one", which is a fairly good summary of that book!

To be honest, there's no way you'll be able to get any other textbooks or revision guides for this subject in the next 36 hours, so don't fret about it. Keep revising however you revise now and I'm sure you'll be OK. Are you working on a few specific topics, or trying to revise every single unit?

I'm hoping for an A in this exam - I mean, really, really hoping, since my offer is AABb and whilst the other grades are pretty secure, I'm something like .5 UMS into the A in RS at AS, so I absolutely need the A this year. And yourself?

yeahh, i am extremely stressed ! :P i must sounds like such a geek, hahahaa :P hahaa yeahh that book really is awful, i know people who have spent ages during their study leave making notes from that and i was a bit like :s-smilie: yeahh it's a good summary but i doubt you'd get over a c solely using that ! i've also managed to rip the cover off mine, which i don't think my teacher will be too pleased about. she's head of r.s. and is constantly commenting on our 'treatment' of the books, due to the whole thing about cuts from the government.. knowing her she'll make me pay for it.. fml !

hahaa yeahh very true.. this is exam is just soo stressful it's hard not to panic ! and the fact you have to sit both on the same day, it's just soo unfair :frown:

no i'm missing topics out ! i'm just mainly revising life after death and religious language for philosophy and then may go over religious experience if i have time, but definitely not doing any revelation of scripture or attributes of God !

for ethics i'm hoping for meta ethics and free will and determinism, but i'm going to revise sexual ethics just to be safe ! and i've also made business ethics but not sure if i'll have enough time to go over them :/

what about you ? are you revising them all, or leaving some out ?

ohh well i'm sure you'll get it :smile: i was also looking at the grade boundaries from as i think it was just 70% or a bit over to get the a, so it's doable ! i'm hoping, rather ambitiously, to get an a* ! i'm actually well into the a* band for as, only dropped 4 ums marks last summer.. don't ask me how ! so my parents are really keen for me to keep it ! which is why i'm so darn stressed ! hahaa :P
It's more like: you can guarantee that revelation probably won't come up as well as other subtopics such as analogy and perhaps boethius (/omniscience generally) also life and death in relation to suffering is relatively unlikely.

Having said that, they may all come up on Monday and I may have to eat my words. Difficult game to play but I'm sure we'll all be fine anyway. A levels aren't the end of the world... if we fail we can just sell our bodies or find other legitimate ways of earning a living.
yeahh, i am extremely stressed ! :P i must sounds like such a geek, hahahaa :P hahaa yeahh that book really is awful, i know people who have spent ages during their study leave making notes from that and i was a bit like :s-smilie: yeahh it's a good summary but i doubt you'd get over a c solely using that ! i've also managed to rip the cover off mine, which i don't think my teacher will be too pleased about. she's head of r.s. and is constantly commenting on our 'treatment' of the books, due to the whole thing about cuts from the government.. knowing her she'll make me pay for it.. fml !

hahaa yeahh very true.. this is exam is just soo stressful it's hard not to panic ! and the fact you have to sit both on the same day, it's just soo unfair :frown:

no i'm missing topics out ! i'm just mainly revising life after death and religious language for philosophy and then may go over religious experience if i have time, but definitely not doing any revelation of scripture or attributes of God !

for ethics i'm hoping for meta ethics and free will and determinism, but i'm going to revise sexual ethics just to be safe ! and i've also made business ethics but not sure if i'll have enough time to go over them :/

what about you ? are you revising them all, or leaving some out ?

ohh well i'm sure you'll get it :smile: i was also looking at the grade boundaries from as i think it was just 70% or a bit over to get the a, so it's doable ! i'm hoping, rather ambitiously, to get an a* ! i'm actually well into the a* band for as, only dropped 4 ums marks last summer.. don't ask me how ! so my parents are really keen for me to keep it ! which is why i'm so darn stressed ! hahaa :P

You can't get an a* at AS. To get an a* you have to have a minimum of 90%=180 UMS at A2 and a minimum of 160 UMS at AS.
Original post by Noodlzzz
You do realise that you've only made 1 prediction there: religious experience and miracle won't be both on the paper :P

I know, and by doing so I predicted that the other topics would be! Were you on the Oxford thread a few months back btw?
Reply 629
Original post by Nayberay
Hi - Was wondering who else was doing:

- A2 Philosophy: Monday 13th June (AM)
- A2 Ethics: Monday 13th June (AM)

Was thinking we could discuss topics/share exam/study techniques etc. :h:

Is this with the OCR board? I've recently completed my AS levels in them and we had Philosophy and Ethics in one 3 hour sitting so I'm intrigued as to why they're separate. Maybe because it's A2?
Serious confidence crisis this evening :frown: :'( I keep reading posts on here and then completely forgetting what's in the topic the post is related to. Maybe I should just leave it till tomorrow morning and make sure I cover everything tomorrow.

Right now I just feel like I'm never going to pass it :frown:
I know, and by doing so I predicted that the other topics would be! Were you on the Oxford thread a few months back btw?

Yes, but we don't talk about that :P
Reply 632
Original post by purplefrog
Are there any scholars which argue the libertarian (non-compatibalist) approach to free will? I only have Kant in my notes... it seems like such a weak theory

libertarians satre heisenburg thats all i got hope it helps :colondollar:
Reply 633
Original post by Ras17
Is this with the OCR board? I've recently completed my AS levels in them and we had Philosophy and Ethics in one 3 hour sitting so I'm intrigued as to why they're separate. Maybe because it's A2?

Lol re read it, it says both AM..
Reply 634
Original post by Ideal.
Alright, sorry if this is a long list. Just going through the syllabus and seeing stuff I don't understand. Any help on any of it is very welcome

The views of the vienna Circle on religious language - never heard of them

The issues the biblical concept of miracle raises about Gods activity in the world

The implications of the concept of miracle for the problem of evil

Relationship between the afterlife and problem of evil. (I assume this is just it gives reason for evil?)

Thanks for any help! - Looks liek I'll be struggling on philosophy more than ethics.

vienna circle infulenced ayer i think they came up with logical positivism and believed that things were only meaningful if they were analytic or or you were able to gather observable evidence to prove them or were synthetic. so they would believe that ethical language was meaningless.
Reply 635
yeahh, i am extremely stressed ! :P i must sounds like such a geek, hahahaa :P hahaa yeahh that book really is awful, i know people who have spent ages during their study leave making notes from that and i was a bit like :s-smilie: yeahh it's a good summary but i doubt you'd get over a c solely using that !

I disagree with the bold alot, i'm a retaker but my friend who is at uni now, did exactly the above and got an B in A2 Philosophy and a A in A2 Ethics, making her grade an A overall. This was the case for plenty of people who achieved grades above C aswell..

She even said herself that she was expecting a low - mid B grade (she wasn't overly confident but I knew she worked hard). She did however revise for roughly 2-3 weeks.

Surely its down to technique and ability to analyse arguments etc along with bringing knowledge from other topics and knowledge in general rather than solely content?

Not trying to debate at all, I acknowledge the blue book isn't the best, but at the same time as you've said.. its a great summary..agreed to an extent. :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 636
Original post by philly.tidd
It's more like: you can guarantee that revelation probably won't come up as well as other subtopics such as analogy and perhaps boethius (/omniscience generally) also life and death in relation to suffering is relatively unlikely.

Having said that, they may all come up on Monday and I may have to eat my words. Difficult game to play but I'm sure we'll all be fine anyway. A levels aren't the end of the world... if we fail we can just sell our bodies or find other legitimate ways of earning a living.

...Laaavely.
Original post by Nayberay
I disagree with the bold alot, i'm a retaker but my friend who is at uni now, did exactly the above and got an B in A2 Philosophy and a A in A2 Ethics, making her grade an A overall. This was the case for plenty of people who achieved grades above C aswell..

She even said herself that she was expecting a low - mid B grade (she wasn't overly confident but I knew she worked hard). She did however revise for roughly 2-3 weeks.

Surely its down to technique and ability to analyse arguments etc along with bringing knowledge from other topics and knowledge in general rather than solely content?

Not trying to debate at all, I acknowledge the blue book isn't the best, but at the same time as you've said.. its a great summary..agreed to an extent. :holmes:

ohh really ! is this from the summary book ? or the actually thick textbooks that are edited by ocr's principle examiner ?

true ! but some books give you good quotes to help lift your essay, but you are right, it's how you adapt the knowledge and your ability to analyse etc. which ensures the high grades !

ohh no it's fine, don't worry ! nothing like a bit of constructive criticism :tongue: hahaa ! i just personally prefer to use textbooks that go beyond a summary :smile: but i hear what you're saying !

me too ! let's hope we're right :smile:
You can't get an a* at AS. To get an a* you have to have a minimum of 90%=180 UMS at A2 and a minimum of 160 UMS at AS.

yeahh sorry i know you only call it an a, i just meant i have over the minimum about of ums you need at as in order to get the final a*.. if that makes sense ! but this is actually quite helpful, does that mean that if you just got an a in a subject, maybe 163 ums, something like that an a* overall is still achievable ? just you seem like you know the process of getting an a*, i still haven't managed to get my head around it ! the whole you have to 'average 90%' at a2 confuses me :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending