The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TlanTlan
God dammit the menstrual cycle is such a giant pain, apart from that everything else in this unit seems reasonably straightforward except for the sheer volume of information needed to be learned for DNA technology.

:teehee: you made a Bio funny.
Yeah I hate the menstrual cycle and blood glucose level control stuff as well.
Original post by Destroyviruses
use my mindmap :biggrin:

That is...horrifying.
Original post by tehsponge
That is...horrifying.

Why :C ?
use my mindmap :biggrin:

Thankyou that is so helpful :biggrin:!
can anyone help me out on the following questions:
What is the importance of maintaining a constant blood pH in relation to enzyme activity?
what is the importance of maintaining a constant blood glucose concentration in terms of energy transfer and water potential of blood?
what is the effect of adrenaline on glycogen breakdown and synthesis?
what is the second messenger model of adrenaline and glucagon action?
what are the main differences between tRNA and mRNA?

this is all from the spec, but i wouldn't be able to answer them if they came up on the exam... :/
Why :C ?

Sooo many lines and boxes :tongue:
Original post by vickidougal
Thankyou that is so helpful :biggrin:!

Yay! Your welcome. I wanted someone other than me to find it helpful. Be mindful though , I've missed some topics that I'm pretty confident about. So use the specs on AQAs site.
Original post by tehsponge
Sooo many lines and boxes :tongue:

The secret is to ignore them all and focus on one box at a time! Or if you are feeling really clever try to link it to another box!

I'm normally never as productive so to me it looked beautiful when i finished!!
What is the importance of maintaining a constant blood pH in relation to enzyme activity?
what is the importance of maintaining a constant blood glucose concentration in terms of energy transfer and water potential of blood?

this is all from the spec, but i wouldn't be able to answer them if they came up on the exam... :/

Note form okay , i dont like words.

Q1 : -enzymes have a narrow optimum pH range
-pH change could break hydrogen bonds on enzyme
-change tertiary structure of active site
-enzymes can not form complex , cannot catalyse reactions,cannot function
Q2 : Low blood glucose:- respiration cannot occur ,energy cannot be transfered to ATP
High blood glucose: Water potential of blood decreases. Water moves into blood by osmosis. Dehydration/

Q3 Adrenalin : Stimulates glycogen breakdown to glucose (in liver) by secondary messenger.
Inhibits formation of glycogen from glucose (in liver) by secondary messenger.

Q4 Adrenalin binds to receptor on cell> stimulates enzyme>enzyme causes production of second messenger (cAMP) >second messenger produces required change.

Q5 tRNA is clover shaped, mRNA is single helix
tRNA is alittle more stable than mRNA
tRNA brings amino acids has particular anticodons., mRNA contains anticodons(holds the genetic code)
Deviation from the normal pH breaks bonds in the enzymes -----> tertiary structure changes -----> active site no longer complementary to the enzyme's substrate.
In terms of water potential, glucose lowers the W.P. of the blood if its conc is too high. Water leaves the cells, causing them to shrivel and dehydrate. The reverse happens if blood glucose is too low. In terms of energy transfer, it's important that blood glucose doesn't fall too low or too high - otherwise cells won't have a large enough source of energy.
Remember that adrenaline has the same action as glucagon ie it stimulates an increase in blood glucose level.
this animation goes into a bit more detail than you need, but it helps to clarify what's taking place in the cell: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072943696/student_view0/chapter10/animation__second_messenger__camp.html
tRNA is a shorter, clover-shaped molecule, whereas mRNA is longer and linear. Of course there's the functtional differences as well - one is used to bring together amino acids; the other transfers the genetic code from the nucleus to the ribosomes.

Hope this helps :wink:
Reply 510
I'm so relieved to see that other people are struggling as much as me! I agree, there is a hell of a lot to remember. And there's such a lack of information as to what to expect from the essay question, so I think we're all gonna be pretty worried about that one!
Am I the only one who find the whole Action potential stuff difficult to remember? It's pretty simple but it's just so dull I really struggle to remember it well enough. I need to get a B in this exam so fingers crossed it will all pay off!

Good luck everyone :smile:
I find the Gene technology the hardest topic like restriction mapping, recombinant stuff, vectors etc
HERE ARE ALL THE PAST ESSAY Q'S (OUR TEACHER GAVE US THESE)

1. The different ways in which organisms use ATP
2. How the structure of cells is related to their function.
3. How bacteria affect human lives.
4. The biological importance of water
5. The structure and functions of carbohydrates
6. Cycles in biology
7. How carbon dioxide gets from a respiring cell to the lumen of an
alveolus in the lungs.
8. How an amino acid gets from protein in a person’s food to becoming
part of a human protein in that person.
9. The transfer of energy between different organisms and between
these organisms and their environment.
10. Ways in which different species of organisms differ from each other
11. Negative feedback and its importance in biology
12. Condensation and hydrolysis and their importance in biology
13. Inorganic ions include those of sodium, phosphorous and hydrogen.
Describe how these and other inorganic ions are used in living
14. Bacteria affect the lives of humans and other organisms in many ways. Apart from causing disease, describe how bacteria may affect the lives of other organisms.
15. Polymers have different structures. They also have different functions .Describe how the structures of different polymers are related to their functions.
16. Describe how nitrogen-containing substances are taken into, and metabolised in, animals and plants.
17. Carbon dioxide in organisms and ecosystems.
18. Why the offspring produced by the same parents are different in appearance.
19. Hydrogen bonds and their importance in living organisms
20. How nitrogen-containing substances are made available to and are used by living organisms
21. The uses of water in living organisms
22. The transfer of energy within and between organisms
23. Carbon dioxide may affect organisms directly or indirectly. Describe and explain these effects.
24. The causes of disease in humans.
Original post by bethalex
Anything really as I'm really struggling with knowing what to put in the essays:s-smilie:, so would you mind sending my the titles you have and the different things to put in each of them. Would it be easier if i just gave you my email?

Thank you:biggrin:

HERE YOU GO :smile:

1. The different ways in which organisms use ATP
2. How the structure of cells is related to their function.
3. How bacteria affect human lives.
4. The biological importance of water
5. The structure and functions of carbohydrates
6. Cycles in biology
7. How carbon dioxide gets from a respiring cell to the lumen of an
alveolus in the lungs.
8. How an amino acid gets from protein in a person’s food to becoming
part of a human protein in that person.
9. The transfer of energy between different organisms and between
these organisms and their environment.
10. Ways in which different species of organisms differ from each other
11. Negative feedback and its importance in biology
12. Condensation and hydrolysis and their importance in biology
13. Inorganic ions include those of sodium, phosphorous and hydrogen.
Describe how these and other inorganic ions are used in living
14. Bacteria affect the lives of humans and other organisms in many ways. Apart from causing disease, describe how bacteria may affect the lives of other organisms.
15. Polymers have different structures. They also have different functions .Describe how the structures of different polymers are related to their functions.
16. Describe how nitrogen-containing substances are taken into, and metabolised in, animals and plants.
17. Carbon dioxide in organisms and ecosystems.
18. Why the offspring produced by the same parents are different in appearance.
19. Hydrogen bonds and their importance in living organisms
20. How nitrogen-containing substances are made available to and are used by living organisms
21. The uses of water in living organisms
22. The transfer of energy within and between organisms
23. Carbon dioxide may affect organisms directly or indirectly. Describe and explain these effects.
24. The causes of disease in humans.
i hate the fact that there is only one paper to learn from
i especially hate the dna stuff more bothered about chem 5 atm
Reply 516
we used the only past paper for our mock at school.. so tried the spec paper (which teacher said was crap)
only to find he was right.. the questions are stupid! i would just use exam style qus from book to revise tbh!
Reply 517
Original post by Charlottehall
What are people's predictions for the essay? It's the main thing worrying me.
I'm gutted it was disease last year because I think that would have been a really good one to write about because sooo much of the course is on it and plenty of unit 5.
thankyouuu :tongue:

im **** at essays but in my mock i got a C on the essay and an A overall... so if you dont do too well you can still make it up on the exam!
Reply 518
Original post by emmaaa65
would someone please be able to look over this synoptic essay i did and maybe give me a rough mark out of 25? i dont have anyone to mark them as im on study leave and cant get into school to hand them into teachers so i would really appreciate anyones help :colondollar:
its a really rubbish one thats barely synoptic and took about 45mins including the plan

Receptors and their role in coordination

Spoiler

i had alot more stuff in my plan such as control of body temperature etc but i ran out of time lol

I think this is a pretty good essay, you get in a lot of knowledge and you'd probably get the relevance, breadth and quality of language marks. I'd say its 14/15 for the knowledge, maybe just add something about oestrogen receptors forming the transcription initiation complex to link receptors to DNA. Otherwise it's really good :smile: It's one of those questions where all the knowledge is from like only 1 unit.
Original post by salman s
I think this is a pretty good essay, you get in a lot of knowledge and you'd probably get the relevance, breadth and quality of language marks. I'd say its 14/15 for the knowledge, maybe just add something about oestrogen receptors forming the transcription initiation complex to link receptors to DNA. Otherwise it's really good :smile: It's one of those questions where all the knowledge is from like only 1 unit.

I like your sig :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending