The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JChoudhry
oh haha. What school is this btw? Just curious.

haha i'd rather not say :tongue: it's girls
and it's grammar
Original post by AishaTara
haha i'd rather not say :tongue: it's girls
and it's grammar

Oh okay. It's a grammar school. Wow! That's a lot for a grammar! Best of luck to all of you though :smile:
Reply 3802
Original post by thatwasfast

how on earth do you do the abstract reasoning section? it seems impossibly hard

here's a site i use

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/ukcat/34306-ukcat-advice-5.html

as for the questions on the quantitative reasoning...i mean 30 seconds per questions, it takes me 15 to read the question, and how on earth do i answer it? most of them are twisted/require another 15 to decode!

i don't do the AR section :P i just look at the answers :P i literally cannot work out the patterns!!! i agree, QR is riduculous!!
Oh okay. It's a grammar school. Wow! That's a lot for a grammar! Best of luck to all of you though :smile:

I suppose but when there are loads of Indians that might explain part of it :tongue:
I suppose but when there are loads of Indians that might explain part of it :tongue:

:laugh: I know! Lots of brown people are going for medicine in my year :p:
Reply 3805

omg JINX

this is what i am finding for roughly about...ALL of them

there may be one or two obvious ones, but as soon as you hit q 3 4 5 6...it gets tricky.

how can anyone find this section easy in the time limit?what is your approach? do you use the calculator? if so, how on earth do you read, decode, understand, note down, then use the calc in 30 seconds?

i'm also using that, maybe we can work together

i don't know! it takes me at least 4mins for some of the hard questions!! apaz, in the exam we will have an on-screen calculator which makes it even worse!!!
i cant use a mouse that fast! loool

haha it's an asian thing :L I guess 'great minds think alike' :rolleyes:
haha it's an asian thing :L I guess 'great minds think alike' :rolleyes:

:laugh: You got that right :p:
:laugh: You got that right :p:

oh well I suppose theres no harm in being in a course where 3/4 of them are asian tbh :L as long as its what you want to do and not due to pressure from parents, they why not?
Have you done alot of hospital work experience?

Lol I'm the only brown guy doing it in my year the other asian is doing law and the other one couldn't hack it.
Original post by Limitless
Lol I'm the only brown guy doing it in my year the other asian is doing law and the other one couldn't hack it.

:laugh: I'm shocked. :p: But then again, how many brown people in the year? Almost ALL of the brown people in my year are going for medicine/dentistry lol
:laugh: I'm shocked. :p: But then again, how many brown people in the year? Almost ALL of the brown people in my year are going for medicine/dentistry lol

I'm the only 'brown' :laugh: guy in my year :rolleyes: but not asian :lolwut:

actually, there might be another who was in year 11... but i haven't seen him all year so i doubt it :tongue:

There is only 3 including me and one acts white. :frown:
Original post by manic_fuzz
I'm the only 'brown' :laugh: guy in my year :rolleyes: but not asian :lolwut:

actually, there might be another who was in year 11... but i haven't seen him all year so i doubt it :tongue:

Haha, I get really surprised when I see some of the statistics for Medicine applicants, as it's only about 55% of applicants that are white, especially seeing as here in Devon the vast, vast majority of people here are white - there's only two or three that aren't in my entire school.
Original post by Normandy114
Haha, I get really surprised when I see some of the statistics for Medicine applicants, as it's only about 55% of applicants that are white, especially seeing as here in Devon the vast, vast majority of people here are white - there's only two or three that aren't in my entire school.

:eek: that's really low! in my year there's 2 or 3 who aren't white, :laugh: typical south-west
yeah, i had a bit of a shock when i went to Oxford and there were so many people who weren't white, just because i'm so used to it :tongue:
Reply 3815
I have the oppurtunity to go to Lesotho , to visit , to help and go to a link school over there. Also to go to HIV clinic, orphanage, school and hospital. Going with a group of people some who have been a few time before and have friend out there and we take supplies.
BUT we are going october half term which is the week ending in Sunday the 27th of October and the BMAT is the 2nd of november. Should I go any way and do work on the plane and in the evenings or is it stupid ?
Original post by Limitless
There is only 3 including me and one acts white. :frown:

how does one act white?
Original post by ChessMister
how does one act white?
many people would like to know, but we're not telling
Reply 3818
I'm also considering HYMS and Manchester, do you know what sort of GCSE grades and UKCAT scores they like? :smile: thanks

Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine

And check the websites.

HYMS aren't too bothered about the UKCAT, but for manchester, they like a pretty good one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3819
I've hopefully got a week at Barts (almost certainly actually). I'm also hoping for a month at another hospital :smile: You? I'm trying to find out if I could do a day shadowing a GP, but I'll find out if that's possible on Wednesday. :smile:

I've already done about a week's worth in a hospital - saw someone fitting in resus!:eek:
That was scary.

And I've got the consultant shadowing thing coming up - a psychiatrist, so it should be very interesting :biggrin:

Original post by Quackers93
Woooooo Aberdeen. I just like Scotland, all my family are from Paisley and we're always up (it sort of realllllly influence my choices last year considering I applied to four Scottish lol) I agree about the UKCAT! It shouldn't be so crucial :/ Cause theres other tests for all those things and I've done reallly well in them but then not as well in UKCAT... money making scam I tell ye! lol

I know what you mean! There's just something about Scotland... :laugh:

I don't know why we have to pay so much. I was thinking about this t'other day, and thought that they might have to pay test centres to rent rooms out and etc.

Ah well.

Latest