The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skygirl999
Ok, its kinda late to be asking this question, but how does revelation fit in with religious experience? I just don't understand the link...? (I know revelation won't come up, but I would like to, if possible, put in a paragraph on it if there is a more general religious experience question and it is relevant)

Revelation = how does God reveal himself as the creator and as omnibenevolent/eternal etc.

Religious experience is one way. This is a personal insight that God reveals
Secondly, God revealed himself to the writers of the Bible so we may all know what God is like. This is scripture revelation. This then gets split into is it propositional? Do we take it literally? etc. etc.

---------------------------------------
Guys, Boethius. In my notes I have one of the problems he raises is what's the point of prayer? & his relationship with humanity.

However, I don't understand how is argument supports any relationship as he's suggesting God is completely non-temporal???
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Noodlzzz
Revelation = how does God reveal himself as the creator and as omnibenevolent/eternal etc.

Religious experience is one way. This is a personal insight that God reveals
Secondly, God revealed himself to the writers of the Bible so we may all know what God is like. This is scripture revelation. This then gets split into is it propositional? Do we take it literally? etc. etc.

---------------------------------------
Guys, Boethius. In my notes I have one of the problems he raises is what's the point of prayer? & his relationship with humanity.

However, I don't understand how is argument supports any relationship as he's suggesting God is completely non-temporal???

Ok thanks :smile: In response to the stuff on Boethius, i think that the whole point is that is does not support a relationship with a humanity and this would be a weakness. If God sees all in an eternal present, then it is not possible for him to interact with us, which defies scriptural teaching and the belief that God is personal in our lives. Similarly for prayer, if God cannot interact with us then prayer is useless as he cannot change the future.
So is this all we need to know about miracles?
1. Definitions: Hume, Aquinas, Swinburne, Polkinghorne, Tillich, R.F. Holland
2. Biblical miracles and issues
3. Challenges from Hume and Wiles
Original post by Ineluctable

we need to be able to discuss whether modern people can be expected to believe in miracles and if they suggest an arbitrary or a partisan god... but yes, i think they are incorporated into it...
Reply 684

You also need to relate it to the problem of evil
Reply 685
Ok, its kinda late to be asking this question, but how does revelation fit in with religious experience? I just don't understand the link...? (I know revelation won't come up, but I would like to, if possible, put in a paragraph on it if there is a more general religious experience question and it is relevant)

Why do you think that revelation won't come up? I've revised religious experience but did skip all the revelation stuff so I really hope you're right :biggrin:.

What is Tillich's definition of a miracle? I thought he only crops up in symbol :/
What is Tillich's definition of a miracle? I thought he only crops up in symbol :/

The same views apply here-he thinks that miracles are symbols of religious significance
Was Wittgenstein a challenge to emotivism because his language game idea challenged the authority of verification to make judgements on other language games like ethics?

It's similar to symbols. He considers them to be 'sign events' with a revelatory nature. He uses Hollands pedal car example to show that, whilst, in actual fact the event was perfectly ordinary, it was a miracle because it was a sign event 'given' to the woman. So he thinks that the concept of a public or objective miracle is wrong, and they are in fact private events for the person to which the sign was given.

This opens him up to criticisms of subjectivism, how we actually know if we are being given a sign event etc etc.
Was Wittgenstein a challenge to emotivism because his language game idea challenged the authority of verification to make judgements on other language games like ethics?

Personally, I wouldn't use him in this way. Instead I'd use other criticisms of the VP, hick, doesn't pass it's own test etc, and then consider whether a theory can still be considered reasonable if it's basis is basically completely disregarded.

Wittgenstein I'd bring in to meta ethics perhaps with the picture theory and relating that to non-cognitive/cognitive. I think language games would be harder to bring in, maybe as a drop in showing that he reconsidered picture theory.
Anyone got any strong psychic powers to give me an idea on what might come up on the ethics paper?

Really don't have time to revise everything so would really appreciate some predictions :smile:

Original post by Charlotte_Bailey
Anyone got any strong psychic powers to give me an idea on what might come up on the ethics paper?

Really don't have time to revise everything so would really appreciate some predictions :smile:

Looks like both applied ethics topics come up every year, apart from that, they could give us anything really :/

Virtue + meta are your best bet
Original post by Clevergecko
Looks like both applied ethics topics come up every year, apart from that, they could give us anything really :/

Original post by Noodlzzz
Virtue + meta are your best bet

Thanks :smile: I am revising meta ethics now, forgot how much there is to learn :frown:

Philosophy isnt any better either :confused:

Tomorrow isnt going to be one of my best days

Pray to God, he will bestow upon you a revelation! Unless he's eternal and outside time, then your just screwed.
The same views apply here-he thinks that miracles are symbols of religious significance

Original post by Clevergecko
It's similar to symbols. He considers them to be 'sign events' with a revelatory nature. He uses Hollands pedal car example to show that, whilst, in actual fact the event was perfectly ordinary, it was a miracle because it was a sign event 'given' to the woman. So he thinks that the concept of a public or objective miracle is wrong, and they are in fact private events for the person to which the sign was given.

This opens him up to criticisms of subjectivism, how we actually know if we are being given a sign event etc etc.

Ok I see, thank you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: We didn't cover Tillich in relation to miracles :smile:
Original post by umm123
Why do you think that revelation won't come up? I've revised religious experience but did skip all the revelation stuff so I really hope you're right :biggrin:.

Because it came up in January - "To what extent can God be seen to reveal himself through sacred writings". Therefore it is unlikely that revelation will come up. Religious experience is such a big topic though that it is probably quite likely that a different sub-topic will come up.
Reply 698
Original post by wildliam1
hi, for some reason im sure that Westphal is going to come up however, i still need to revise Ayer and i am really struggling!!

is there any way in which i could learn a AO1 that i could then mould in the exam? PLEASE HELP!!! :smile:

Sorry to be dumb but what is 'westphal'? =/
Reply 699
Can anyone explain the Naturalistic Fallacy to me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending