The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limitless
Not really but I've got loads planned in the summer what about you?
I like kings it's in the middle of london so if I get a really good UKCAT I might apply there too.

Same, I've got around 3 weeks this summer ( after like 20 rejections). And then my local hospital who runs it differently do a one day course and from there I can do as much as I want whenever, as long as I contact the department I'd like to go in.
Yep although, I'd be happy to study Medicine anywhere tbh! :smile:
Original post by AishaTara
Same, I've got around 3 weeks this summer ( after like 20 rejections). And then my local hospital who runs it differently do a one day course and from there I can do as much as I want whenever, as long as I contact the department I'd like to go in.
Yep although, I'd be happy to study Medicine anywhere tbh! :smile:

I've got 4 weeks in hospitals this summer and trying to get 1/2 weeks at a GP and some at a hospice at the moment.
I've got 4 weeks in hospitals this summer and trying to get 1/2 weeks at a GP and some at a hospice at the moment.

ahh that's a good amount! GP said they'll give me a part time job after my exams, so :biggrin: but it'll be alot of admin work I'm guessing. I found a hospice hard to get :/ so last summer so instead I did this childrens playscheme place, and Elderly home

do alot of extra curricular? ( just out of interest)
ahh that's a good amount! GP said they'll give me a part time job after my exams, so :biggrin: but it'll be alot of admin work I'm guessing. I found a hospice hard to get :/ so last summer so instead I did this childrens playscheme place, and Elderly home

do alot of extra curricular? ( just out of interest)

I've got mentoring year 10s, I've ran cross country for my school against my other schools in my borough, Play squash, I'll probably be a prefect next year, I've done a chemistry competition at UCLAN and I'm doing a biology Olympiad in a couple of weeks and I've helped primary school kids in a chemistry taster lesson, I've done extra reading around the subject (reading things like the new scientist and other books) and stuff like that what about you?

How did you manage to get a job doing admin work at a GP?
I've got mentoring year 10s, I've ran cross country for my school against my other schools in my borough, Play squash, I'll probably be a prefect next year, I've done a chemistry competition at UCLAN and I'm doing a biology Olympiad in a couple of weeks and I've helped primary school kids in a chemistry taster lesson, I've done extra reading around the subject (reading things like the new scientist and other books) and stuff like that what about you?

Badminton, Skating, DofE, languages, Air cadets. Chemistry Camp 8)
possibly extended project
hopefully St Johns soon.
I found a hospice hard to get :/

You have to be persistent, my friend applied to a hospiscare but they said they were unable to do so, but he still told them to contact him if anything comes up. Two weeks later they called him up and he starts volunteering there next week I think.
Badminton, Skating, DofE, languages, Air cadets. Chemistry Camp 8)
possibly extended project
hopefully St Johns soon.

I might be doing extended project what are you thinking about doing yours on?
Original post by Normandy114
You have to be persistent, my friend applied to a hospiscare but they said they were unable to do so, but he still told them to contact him if anything comes up. Two weeks later they called him up and he starts volunteering there next week I think.

True that, I am hoping to apply to one near my grandmas house because they said last summer they were desperate, but I was on holidays so couldnt go. The local hospice say they want people 18+ as they have alot of volunteers :/
Reply 3848
Hiya guys! I think I qualify as I've applied this year,but I'm deferring so I'm starting when you lot start :smile: I'm hopefully going to Cardiff grades dependent. If anyone has any questions about applying UKCAT/BMAT or anything I'm willing to help :smile: Just ask if you wanna know where else I applied etc :smile:

I'm really not sure. Some people say do something related to what you want to do, and others say do something differently to show you've got different hobbies/interests.
Whatever I do I might do a porfolio to go with it, so I only have to do 1000-2000 words instead of the full 5000 words.
I was considering between
- sociology/psychology stuff
-medical ethics
-maybe dermatology ( but I'd have little to say about it)
-maybe textiles stuff ( as a hobby sort of thing)

probs go for medical ethics/ or textiles stuff, but with medical ethics I'll probs get alot of questions on it in the interview, which can be good and bad I suppose.

I'm doing mine about motor neurone disease and if a cure is possible, any ideas for about yours?
I'm really not sure. Some people say do something related to what you want to do, and others say do something differently to show you've got different hobbies/interests.
Whatever I do I might do a porfolio to go with it, so I only have to do 1000-2000 words instead of the full 5000 words.
I was considering between
- sociology/psychology stuff
-medical ethics
-maybe dermatology ( but I'd have little to say about it)
-maybe textiles stuff ( as a hobby sort of thing)

probs go for medical ethics/ or textiles stuff, but with medical ethics I'll probs get alot of questions on it in the interview, which can be good and bad I suppose.

Im thinking about doing either on
-Smart drugs and how it can benefit medicine in the future the affects it has on the body and how it has to go through rigorous testing to be accepted as medical drug
-Something about muscle building and how it is linked to the body
-A disease such as thalassemia as my sister had it and she had to have a bone marrow transplant

I'm doing mine about motor neurone disease and if a cure is possible, any ideas for about yours?

See above.:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

:biggrin:
Im thinking about doing either on
-Smart drugs and how it can benefit medicine in the future the affects it has on the body and how it has to go through rigorous testing to be accepted as medical drug
-Something about muscle building and how it is linked to the body
-A disease such as thalassemia as my sister had it and she had to have a bone marrow transplant

.:biggrin:

Nice :smile:
I haven't thought about it much yet, but seeing as I'd be doing it mostly in the holidays, I might try and come up with something debatable so I can do pros and cons etc. I like the first one you've got about smart drugs though, that sounds quite interesting.
Nice :smile:
I haven't thought about it much yet, but seeing as I'd be doing it mostly in the holidays, I might try and come up with something debatable so I can do pros and cons etc. I like the first one you've got about smart drugs though, that sounds quite interesting.

I kind of got the idea after watching the film "Limitless". It is an awesome film. :smile:
I kind of got the idea after watching the film "Limitless". It is an awesome film. :smile:

ahh, whats it about? I shall have to watch it this summer then?

:biggrin:

Not quite as good as amateur transplants :tongue:

ahh, whats it about? I shall have to watch it this summer then?

It's basically about a guy who is a writer his life is a mess, he is walking down the street sees his brother who is an ex drug dealer and his brother manages to convince him to buy this drug which allows him to perform at full capacity.

Spoiler

Not quite as good as amateur transplants :tongue:

Good ol' medics. :biggrin:
It's basically about a guy who is a writer his life is a mess, he is walking down the street sees his brother who is an ex drug dealer and his brother manages to convince him to buy this drug which allows him to perform at full capacity.[SPOLER] With the help of this drug he becomes a millionaire over night goes into financial banking then he realizes he does not have an infinite supply of this drug as his brother gets killed then loads of people start coming after him to get there hands on this drug

ohhh, sounds interesting. I'm going to watch that then :biggrin:

A friend of mine wishes there was like a 4Gb memory card you could slot into your brain in order to remember thinks, although that would kind of defeat the point of life. Everyone would be equally as capable of doing anything they'd like.

Latest

Trending

Trending