The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
This time tomorrow we all shall be doing the exam, and then it'll all be over. This unit is an absolute monster and i hope the paper is much better than the weather. Then again, if the weather is crap tomorrow, then the paper will be horrible. Thats what i feel lol.
What's the difference between autosomal and sex linkage?? D:
Reply 1902
Original post by ManPowa
This time tomorrow we all shall be doing the exam, and then it'll all be over. This unit is an absolute monster and i hope the paper is much better than the weather. Then again, if the weather is crap tomorrow, then the paper will be horrible. Thats what i feel lol.

Its quite sunny where i am :smile:
Ahhhh i'm so unprepared :frown:
Reply 1904
Original post by NWA
Its quite sunny where i am :smile:

Im in birmingham lol and its absolutely dull, cold and ****e if im honest :colone:
Original post by hellosarah

Sex linkage is when the gene is on the X or Y chromosome which is the 23rd chromosome. Its usually on the X instead of Y though because the Y is much smaller than X so it has less space. Autosomal refers to genes linked on the normal other 22 chromosomes.
Original post by heartskippedabeat

You'll be fine :h: .. Soon, we can all forget Biology forever (until uni) :biggrin:
Reply 1907
Original post by ekta9
Ahh okay thank you, so basically weaknesses of the experiments :smile: good luck for tomorrow

Yeh I thinK the evaluations are the types of things you can kind of make up on the spot.. and get a few marks if learning them fails!!

Good luck to you too!! Cannot wait till this is over! :smile:

I know

Everything I've learnt has run away from me :frown:

Sex chromosomes are the Y chromosomes. Autosomes are just normal chromosomes.

Therefore autosomal with be XX and sex Linkage will be XY :tongue:
summary of sliding filament? anyone?

Autsomomal linkage is that found in all body cells other than gametes, whilst sex linkage only occurs in production of gametes and is generally to do with alles appearing on the X chromosome and not the Y :smile:
June 2010

-Flow diagram of main stages of Cheese - milk, protein, casein
-Cheese making Biotechnolgical process
-Pasteurisation
-Enzyme Rennin and milk
-Rennin advantages
-Rennin 8 marker - Bacteria genetically modified to produce Rennin

17 marks were on Biotechnology

Genotypes Phenotypes, Gene Interaction, Coding, Mutation, Hetrozygous, Genetic Diagram, Chi-Squared test, Gene Coding, Synthesis of Polypeptides

32 marks were on Genetics...

Dopamine DDR4 more genetics 18 marks...

20 marks on Ecosystems, Populations and Sustainbility which included Timber.

13 marks were on Plant growth hormones, germination of seeds, graph interpretation...

Quite clear about half the of the paper was focused on Module 1 Cellular Control...with quite a few marks on Biotechnology and Ecosystems, Populations and Sustainbility with 13 marks on the Plant Growth Hormones topic...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1913

Don't worry about it!!

The grade boundaries are very likely to be low as they have in both of the other exams.. and lets face it - OCR like to make their biology exams impossible :P :smile:

There is no point spending the whole day stressing about stuff you don't know because it won't help - so just calm down and have a chilled day of just going over the stuff - there is not much more you can do now!! :smile: Good Luck!!!!! What do you need in this exam?
Original post by YuDunno
Yayy :smile: thankyou!!

I think I might need to borrow your memory for tomorrow..

explain significance of various concepts of species, with reference to the biological species concept and the phylogenetic species concept .. cladistics?

Biological species concept - organisms who look similar and are able to interbreed freely and produce fertile offspring

Limitations -Not all organisms interbreed, e.g asexual reproduction in ulmus procera
-Not all organisms look similar e.g male/female peacock

Phylogenetic species concept - groups organisms, based on biochemistry, morphology, behaviour and embryology >

cladistics - grouping organisms based on evolutionairy history.

kind of unsure on this spread, it's very very badly worded in the heinmann book.
Original post by intellectual1
June 2010

-Pasteurisation
-Enzyme Rennin and milk
-Rennin advantages

Genotypes Phenotypes, Gene Interaction, Coding, Mutation, Hetrozygous, Genetic Diagram, Chi-Squared test, Gene Coding, Synthesis of Polypeptides

13 marks were on Plant growth hormones, germination of seeds, graph interpretation...

Quite clear about half the of the paper was focused on Module 1 Cellular Control...with quite a few marks on Biotechnology and Ecosystems, Populations and Sustainbility with 13 marks on the Plant Growth Hormones topic...

fancy doing the same for Jan 11? :wink:
Original post by intellectual1
June 2010

-Pasteurisation
-Enzyme Rennin and milk
-Rennin advantages

This. I think now they will shift to the right with some module 1 questions and loads of module 2 3 4 Qs! :yikes:
Original post by Kidms001
Sex chromosomes are the Y chromosomes. Autosomes are just normal chromosomes.

Therefore autosomal with be XX and sex Linkage will be XY :tongue:

I have no idea how to multi quote on this thing but to the both of you, thank you. :biggrin:
Original post by Kidms001
You'll be fine :h: .. Soon, we can all forget Biology forever (until uni) :biggrin:

Haha thank you! I'm sure you will be too :smile:
Yeah, at least for the summer! At least we won't have OCR writing our uni exams... and it'll be all my favourite bits of biology so I'm happy :h:

Original post by DontPropositionMe
I know

Everything I've learnt has run away from me :frown:

:frown: Same, I don't think I've ever revised more for an exam but I still feel like I know nothing..
never mind we'll be okay, just keep going :smile:
Golden rice, go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending