The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

i'm hoping meiosis comes up. it's not been on the last 2 papers, and it's nice easy marks XD
Reply 1921
Original post by Waqar Y
Biological species concept - organisms who look similar and are able to interbreed freely and produce fertile offspring

Limitations -Not all organisms interbreed, e.g asexual reproduction in ulmus procera
-Not all organisms look similar e.g male/female peacock

Phylogenetic species concept - groups organisms, based on biochemistry, morphology, behaviour and embryology >

cladistics - grouping organisms based on evolutionairy history.

kind of unsure on this spread, it's very very badly worded in the heinmann book.

Okay.. and golden rice? :confused:
Reply 1922
Original post by Waqar Y
Biological species concept - organisms who look similar and are able to interbreed freely and produce fertile offspring

Limitations -Not all organisms interbreed, e.g asexual reproduction in ulmus procera
-Not all organisms look similar e.g male/female peacock

Phylogenetic species concept - groups organisms, based on biochemistry, morphology, behaviour and embryology >

cladistics - grouping organisms based on evolutionairy history.

kind of unsure on this spread, it's very very badly worded in the heinmann book.

I thought the definitions of the biological species concept and the phylogenetic species concept were the other way around?

Biological species concept - organisms who are similiar in appearance, physiology, anatomy, biochemistry and genetics, and who are able to interbreed to produce fertile offspring. They also remain reproductively isolated from other species.
Phylogenetic species concept - organisms who are geopraphically separated and morphologically and behaviourally distinct from other species, even if their breeding capabilities are unknown.
Original post by wilsea05
fancy doing the same for Jan 11? :wink:

I'm in the process of doing so...but there is a big hint for you MODULE 1 CONTENT CELLULAR CONTROL is what you must focus on....the emphasis on past papers is'nt really effective as it was...alot of the questions are relatively new...although it is still good practice...as the PhilipAllan conference they said they merely have 'adapted' past questions for the practicals and the written hmmm Though it is quite true since the A2 Photosynthesis practical was indeed adapted from a past paper...there's no reason why they can't recycle past questions...
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Haha thank you! I'm sure you will be too :smile:
Yeah, at least for the summer! At least we won't have OCR writing our uni exams... and it'll be all my favourite bits of biology so I'm happy :h:

:yep: .. What type of Biology are you doing?

:frown: Same, I don't think I've ever revised more for an exam but I still feel like I know nothing..
never mind we'll be okay, just keep going :smile:

Ah, but when you're in the exam, your sympathetic nervous system kicks in, increasing blood flow to the brain :awesome: .. You'll suddenly realise you remember lots of stuff! :colone:
Reply 1925
Where in the specifications is there 'Small scale plant cloning- grafting and cutting'? Its in the Heinnman book but not thw CGP one...?
Anyone else had the realisation yet that this exam basically decides your uni placement? :O :biggrin:

(Depending on the conditions of your offer, of course...)
Original post by Kidms001

Ah, but when you're in the exam, your sympathetic nervous system kicks in, increasing blood flow to the brain :awesome: .. You'll suddenly realise you remember lots of stuff! :colone:

Zoology :love: You?

Hahaha yeah hopefully it won't let me down :tongue:
Reply 1928
Original post by SharkTooth194
i'm hoping meiosis comes up. it's not been on the last 2 papers, and it's nice easy marks XD

Unless your asked A question, worded so horrible and vague that you end up leaving it out. Even though its simple biology, if i say. Errrr OCR :eek:
Reply 1929
Yep - it really does!! I am scaared!
Yeah. It's not reassuring :redface:
Reply 1931

Haha nice biology reference there :P :smile:
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Zoology :love: You?

Hahaha yeah hopefully it won't let me down :tongue:

Chemical Biology me :yep: .. Lets me do Chemistry while getting in some immunology modules :love: .. Zoology sounds amazing though :biggrin:

And your brain won't let you down in such an important situation :noway: .. After watching loads of Biology programmes on Discovery, I'm very sure of it :holmes:
Original post by Mcfilly
Haha nice biology reference there :P :smile:

I'm doing it all the time :facepalm: .. Yesterday my Dad made asked me to lift a few really heavy concrete slabs. All I was thinking about was the graduation of response and the sliding filament theory :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1934
Can someone summarise the structural and functional difference between voluntary,involuntary and cardiac muscle?
I'm doing it all the time :facepalm: .. Yesterday my Dad made asked me to lift a few really heavy concrete slabs. All I was thinking about was the graduation of response and the sliding filament theory :colondollar:

could you please elaborate on this:colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
can anyone please please please tell me what i need to know for genetic engineering human insulin.
i have no clue. and i dont find the textbook useful :frown:
can someone please break it down for me
Reply 1937

Whats the graduation of response?
Reply 1938
I'm trying to work out the mark I roughly need to get on the paper, so I'm trying to work out my current UMS.

How do I do the weighting/etc? Like on my results from my sixth I have the mark, I assume this is UMS? What's the UMS out of for the Jan/June papers?

And for the ISAs? I had a quick scout on OCR, but I'm not sure where to start.

Original post by MoMatrix
Can someone summarise the structural and functional difference between voluntary,involuntary and cardiac muscle?

Functions:

Voluntary - To move bones/joints/limbs.
Involuntary - To control organs/glands/arteries etc
Cardiac - To pump blood! :biggrin:

Structures:

Voluntary - Multinucleate, Cylindrical cells.
Involuntary - Uninucleate, Spindle shaped cells.
Cardiac - Uninucleate, Branched cells, lots of mitochondria.

There's probably more, but that's a basic thing of it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest