The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joseppea
xD I actually like doing exams... just not when it goes horribly wrong and I forget everything :tongue: It's sort of exciting to see what questions come up...

...and now we've established just what an exciting life I lead. :ashamed:

Yeah but only when you know everything inside out not when you pull an all nighter.

Original post by fightersfight
you really have an equal chance of applying to cambridge, or any other medical school. the number of applicnats per place are equal. Cambridge take GCSE's in context, and UMS marks too.

But there will be people who get very low grades(like me) but get in (not like me)

=D to be frank, the teaching is really, all the same, in cambridge, imperial, kele, lesicter, oxford...ucl all the same

don't ever let somebody tell you that you can't do something. if people can't do something themselves, they'll tell you that you can't.

you've got to dream, and you've got to protect it. PERIOD.

My GCSE grades are average people with higher GCSE grades would have a better chance. Also I think Cambridge do a 6 year course instead of five years but I'm not sure.

GUYS, i was wondering, for the quantitative reasoning on the UKCAT, do you just pick out scimming the relevant parts of the question, and then, guess the answer by elimination?

Or do you use the calculator?

:s-smilie: i use the calc, and i use up too much time:frown:

I use the calculator. I've manage to type in the numbers on a calculator really fast after a year of chemistry and physics AS.
Original post by Limitless
Yeah but only when you know everything inside out not when you pull an all nighter.

My GCSE grades are average people with higher GCSE grades would have a better chance. Also I think Cambridge do a 6 year course instead of five years but I'm not sure.

I use the calculator. I've manage to type in the numbers on a calculator really fast after a year of chemistry and physics AS.

we are going to have to use an on-screen calc

:frown: that part sucks
Really I thought EPQ gets you UCAS points and medical schools don't do UCAS points. Thanks :biggrin:

I was thinking Oxbridge I go to a private school but I thought there is no point applying to an extremely competitive university for medicine which would just be a waster of choice. I mean my GCSE grades are average and I want to apply to places where I have a higher chance of getting into.

Cambridge and Oxford look highly on UMS for A-levels too! True, my dad said that each medical school has it's own exam and it's own pass marks, so maybe go to a place where you'll have better grades than other applicants and will find it easier to keep up, but who knows depends all on grades now. Being from a private or grammar school is an advantage though, although would they expect better grades from them?

What did you get for GCSES if you don't mind me asking?
we are going to have to use an on-screen calc

:frown: that part sucks

Crap. :frown:
Can you not bring in your on calculator?
Reply 3884
Crap. :frown:
Can you not bring in your on calculator?

Nope, it's a basic on screen one I think.
Original post by cz100

CZ, i heard it's the one on microsofts?

if so, do you think they'll keep the memory re-call ect? it'd be impossible not to use brackets:frown:

i hate clicking:frown::frown:
Original post by AishaTara
Cambridge and Oxford look highly on UMS for A-levels too! True, my dad said that each medical school has it's own exam and it's own pass marks, so maybe go to a place where you'll have better grades than other applicants and will find it easier to keep up, but who knows depends all on grades now. Being from a private or grammar school is an advantage though, although would they expect better grades from them?

Yeah there is no such thing as an easy medical school but there is such thing as a medical school you have a higher chance of getting into. Getting in is the hard bit after that its easy. My friend was telling me how universities use to favor grammar school so they got slated now they prefer students from state school I'm not sure how true this is though.
I got 1.5 A*s in business studies and R.E short course
5As in bio, chem, physics, maths and geography
3Bs in english lang and enlish lit and German.

What about you?

8 less A*'s than you:smile:
Reply 3888
CZ, i heard it's the one on microsofts?

if so, do you think they'll keep the memory re-call ect? it'd be impossible not to use brackets:frown:

i hate clicking:frown::frown:

I don't know, I never use the calculator on the computer anyway cos I always click things wrong or I click something but it's not registered.
aisha, medical schools are all equally tierd.

it's a pass or fail, and GMC approved.

cambridge/kele will have equal degrees, none higher than the other. your employers don't even know / can't tell the difference

for other subjects besides medicine, yes, there is a difference

for medicine, no difference

hmm really? But I thought they all teach slightly differently and test differently, and they decide their bench marks for pass or fail depending on everyone at that particular Uni. Well if you're right, then I'm chuffed!
Apparently Bham are going to help Aston Uni start Medicine for 2013, orginally 2012, I personally don't believe that, because I can't find it anywhere online.
Original post by cz100

Better get use to using the scree one then. :frown:
Yeah there is no such thing as an easy medical school but there is such thing as a medical school you have a higher chance of getting into. Getting in is the hard bit after that its easy. My friend was telling me how universities use to favor grammar school so they got slated now they prefer students from state school I'm not sure how true this is though.

What about you?

exactly!!

there is no such thing as a medical school being better, having better exams

all doctors are equally approved of, and monitored by the GMC

you apply to a course you like the look of, or facilities ect.
Original post by cz100
I don't know, I never use the calculator on the computer anyway cos I always click things wrong or I click something but it's not registered.

exactly the same

i'll need to brush up on mental maths lol, another thing i need to improve
Better get use to using the scree one then. :frown:

same man=/
i'm use to my scientific one , i can type super-fast

but on the computer, it takes me 2 seconds per number lol
hmm really? But I thought they all teach slightly differently and test differently, and they decide their bench marks for pass or fail depending on everyone at that particular Uni. Well if you're right, then I'm chuffed!
Apparently Bham are going to help Aston Uni start Medicine for 2013, orginally 2012, I personally don't believe that, because I can't find it anywhere online.

I think Oxbridge teaching is more traditional. More lecture based.
Depending on my UMS marks in August I might try for Oxbridge. The one which does not put much emphasis on GCSE grades.

What about you?

Yeah that's true, they used to prefer grammar school, especially those which do non modular sittings for gcses and a-levels, but now they favour alot of state school student who do well, which is kinda annoying for me now :tongue:
St Georges have only a certain amount of places for grammar/private and majority being from state, and from poorer backgrounds, as long as they have grades/minimum apparently.

that's not bad! just try and ace your UKCAT!
Well actually I'm currently in year 11 :P abit cheeky of me to be on this thread, but hey! you can never start to early, or get too much info :biggrin:
I'm doing Geo and German too ;D

yes, they do teach differently

i prefer the cambridge course to the manchester one

but i prefer the imperial or lesicter course to the cambridge one

i don't know about the pass/fail mark, maybe you're right but ALL doctors need to have a certain knowledge level to get a pass
what's stopping you or i getting amazingly high marks that surpass a pass grade anyway?
exactly!!

there is no such thing as a medical school being better, having better exams

all doctors are equally approved of, and monitored by the GMC

you apply to a course you like the look of, or facilities ect.

Lets be honest it would be nice to tell somebody you have studied medicine at cambridge though.
I think Oxbridge teaching is more traditional. More lecture based.
Depending on my UMS marks in August I might try for Oxbridge. The one which does not put much emphasis on GCSE grades.

Both oxford and cambridge are more traditional. I thought oxford put more emphasis on GCSES :/ and Cambridge on the interview, and BMAT mark? :/
i thought an average oxbridge applicant will have 70% A*
Yeah that's true, they used to prefer grammar school, especially those which do non modular sittings for gcses and a-levels, but now they favour alot of state school student who do well, which is kinda annoying for me now :tongue:
St Georges have only a certain amount of places for grammar/private and majority being from state, and from poorer backgrounds, as long as they have grades/minimum apparently.

that's not bad! just try and ace your UKCAT!
Well actually I'm currently in year 11 :P abit cheeky of me to be on this thread, but hey! you can never start to early, or get too much info :biggrin:
I'm doing Geo and German too ;D

you're in year 11!?

haha, same as i was last year
my advise is, start W/E early, don't over-look at prospectuses, as they change, but still look at them

don't go for prestige, or name, that doesn't exist in medicine, go for the course structure that suits you best.

Latest

Trending

Trending