The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fightersfight
8 less A*'s than you:smile:

how do you know what I got? :L
im doing my GCSES atm :P
Original post by Limitless
Lets be honest it would be nice to tell somebody you have studied medicine at cambridge though.

:smile: i don't like to show off, and i don't see the difference between saying you were at cambridge, or any other university:smile:

everything is from God(i believe), and so, i have no right to be a complete rah

:smile: what i will say in DR WHO FASHION IS

hello, i'm the doctor.

six years of medical degree, just to then tell people you went to cam?:P
Original post by AishaTara
Yeah that's true, they used to prefer grammar school, especially those which do non modular sittings for gcses and a-levels, but now they favour alot of state school student who do well, which is kinda annoying for me now :tongue:
St Georges have only a certain amount of places for grammar/private and majority being from state, and from poorer backgrounds, as long as they have grades/minimum apparently.

that's not bad! just try and ace your UKCAT!
Well actually I'm currently in year 11 :P abit cheeky of me to be on this thread, but hey! you can never start to early, or get too much info :biggrin:
I'm doing Geo and German too ;D

I feel really bad when I talk to people like you, I'm just too relaxed like I've put everything down to the last minute and you've got everything set out before even starting sixth form. What do you think about the fee increase? I don't think it is that bad I mean labour were going to do it anyway and they let the tories take the stick for the increase which is very sly of them.
you're in year 11!?

haha, same as i was last year
my advise is, start W/E early, don't over-look at prospectuses, as they change, but still look at them

don't go for prestige, or name, that doesn't exist in medicine, go for the course structure that suits you best.

ohh lol :L I've got three weeks this summer confirmed, plus more around xmas etc ;D thanks!
Hoping to get in anywhere were it's more traditional :smile: Bham if I get high GCSES.
I like the sound of Imperial and Kings :biggrin:
I feel really bad when I talk to people like you, I'm just too relaxed like I've put everything down to the last minute and you've got everything set out before even starting sixth form. What do you think about the fee increase? I don't think it is that bad I mean labour were going to do it anyway and they let the tories take the stick for the increase which is very sly of them.

=D i started early, applied to hospitals early

was rejected by every single one=D

that doesn't mean you guys shouldn't!

i applied to two summer schools, i live on a council house, get ema, go to a below average school!

:smile: life knocks you down, but stand up one more time. one more round.
Both oxford and cambridge are more traditional. I thought oxford put more emphasis on GCSES :/ and Cambridge on the interview, and BMAT mark? :/
i thought an average oxbridge applicant will have 70% A*

That rules oxbridge out then.

:smile: i don't like to show off, and i don't see the difference between saying you were at cambridge, or any other university:smile:

everything is from God(i believe), and so, i have no right to be a complete rah

:smile: what i will say in DR WHO FASHION IS

hello, i'm the doctor.

six years of medical degree, just to then tell people you went to cam?:P

It is only a year more. But yeah any medical school is as good as each other.

I'm more of a House M.D fan. I like his style.
ohh lol :L I've got three weeks this summer confirmed, plus more around xmas etc ;D thanks!
Hoping to get in anywhere were it's more traditional :smile: Bham if I get high GCSES.
I like the sound of Imperial and Kings :biggrin:

i'm going to apply to one BMAT uni, if i get OK a/s grades

that's either cambridge, or imperial as i like their courses

No, don't feel bad! Infact I'm annoyed with myself, I knew I wanted to study Medicine from start of year 10, but I dossed alot still- don't even know why tbh. I started work In easter, and I'm doubting I'll even get my predicted grades, just because of laziness. Hence,why I'm going to work reallly hard at A-level tbh, and planning it out before especially with all the competition, and gets loads of work experience, good UKCAT hopefully to compensate.
Hmm, tbh I'm not too bothered, because it'll be worth it in the long term overall and it'll take afew years to pay back. Plus, I'm going to Uni cus I want to, not cus I'm being forced. But as long as the fees don't get like to £30,000 a year or something ridiculous, Uni will always be my first priority. :biggrin: wbu?

It is only a year more. But yeah any medical school is as good as each other.

I'm more of a House M.D fan. I like his style.

limit less

if you get good a/s grades, you have a super-chance at cambridge

your gcse's are decent, not bad, and pass most of the requiresments.

i got ok gcse's but have messed up my a/s

i'd kill to get good a/s grades=/

:smile: to oxford, gcses > A levels
to cambridge A levels > GCSE's

=) you're forgetting that. don't let anyone intimidate you , especially if they may not have been there and done that! i've spoken to people who've been there done that, don't listen to anyone but the admissions advisers ect

:smile: gl mate. yes, apply wisely, but if you've earned the right to apply and your gut tells youto, take calculated risk.
=D i started early, applied to hospitals early

was rejected by every single one=D

that doesn't mean you guys shouldn't!

i applied to two summer schools, i live on a council house, get ema, go to a below average school!

:smile: life knocks you down, but stand up one more time. one more round.

I feel snobby now. :frown: I go to a private school, got experience via school and friends parents, I am pretty skint though I literally haven't been out properly all year as all my friends have EMA and I don't even have a job.
I kind of felt inferior when I started the grammar school though as everybody else came from all nice backgrounds whereas I came from not the best part of town and my dad was self employed. On parents evening my dad use to come in wearing jeans and a T-shirt whilst everybody else was wearing suits. :biggrin:

. I .

Just make sure you get into Medicine anywhere else where you like the course structure, even if it's after a gap year, and usually if you have the A-level grades, almost everyone I know of who reapplys gets in as of the extra work experience, commitment etc
stay positive! :biggrin: anything is possible. Even impossible, says I'm possible! Just start UKCAT prep, like now
heres some stuff incase you havent seen it

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992
i'm going to apply to one BMAT uni, if i get OK a/s grades

that's either cambridge, or imperial as i like their courses

Yep, BMAT is a risky one as you apply before doing it. If I had to gap year, do I have to re-do ukcat/bmat. I thought it lasts two years, before you have to re-do it unless thats changed, or I was hearing rumours.
I'm doing for two UKCAT, two BMAT, unless I do amazingly at GCSE, then a uni or two which like hIgh GCSES
what dd you get for GCSES, if you don't mind me asking?
No, don't feel bad! Infact I'm annoyed with myself, I knew I wanted to study Medicine from start of year 10, but I dossed alot still- don't even know why tbh. I started work In easter, and I'm doubting I'll even get my predicted grades, just because of laziness. Hence,why I'm going to work reallly hard at A-level tbh, and planning it out before especially with all the competition, and gets loads of work experience, good UKCAT hopefully to compensate.
Hmm, tbh I'm not too bothered, because it'll be worth it in the long term overall and it'll take afew years to pay back. Plus, I'm going to Uni cus I want to, not cus I'm being forced. But as long as the fees don't get like to £30,000 a year or something ridiculous, Uni will always be my first priority. :biggrin: wbu?

I'm just really relaxed in everything I do which annoys people for some reason like a couple of weeks ago I went to a taster day at liverpool university my friends was waiting at the train station when I he rang me and I woke up was up and out the house in 15 minutes got to the train station in about 10 minutes and was just on time.
I'll find some way to pull it off. Hopefully. :smile:
I feel snobby now. :frown: I go to a private school, got experience via school and friends parents, I am pretty skint though I literally haven't been out properly all year as all my friends have EMA and I don't even have a job.
I kind of felt inferior when I started the grammar school though as everybody else came from all nice backgrounds whereas I came from not the best part of town and my dad was self employed. On parents evening my dad use to come in wearing jeans and a T-shirt whilst everybody else was wearing suits. :biggrin:

:smile: you're no snobby at all

i didn't mean to say it in a way that i am disadvantagd, i'm not in anyway, because i know how to play around these things

i need to be more grateful for what i do have
I'm just really relaxed in everything I do which annoys people for some reason like a couple of weeks ago I went to a taster day at liverpool university my friends was waiting at the train station when I he rang me and I woke up was up and out the house in 15 minutes got to the train station in about 10 minutes and was just on time.
I'll find some way to pull it off. Hopefully. :smile:

ohhh lol :L aha, well basically for A2, just treat it like a new start, force yourself, get parents to force you to work, until your in a routine!
I'm hoping to work hard from day 1 for Alevels. GCSES you can easily get away with laziness tbh
Hmm hopefully, my parents just tell me not too let fees stop me or worry me, but I dont really think about it
Yep, BMAT is a risky one as you apply before doing it. If I had to gap year, do I have to re-do ukcat/bmat. I thought it lasts two years, before you have to re-do it unless thats changed, or I was hearing rumours.
I'm doing for two UKCAT, two BMAT, unless I do amazingly at GCSE, then a uni or two which like hIgh GCSES
what dd you get for GCSES, if you don't mind me asking?

if you're deferred entry, then no, you've already got a place providing you meet offers

if you're rejected 4 times, you have to re-do
ohhh lol :L aha, well basically for A2, just treat it like a new start, force yourself, get parents to force you to work, until your in a routine!
I'm hoping to work hard from day 1 for Alevels. GCSES you can easily get away with laziness tbh
Hmm hopefully, my parents just tell me not too let fees stop me or worry me, but I dont really think about it

My parents are hardly at home. My dad is always on business trips abroad and my mum and sisters are usually out shopping. You say you will try hard but end up procrastinating.
^^

guys, i don't mean to bring race, but for my own sociology study reasons, can i ask:

how many of you are asian?(chinese/indian/pakistani)

thanks! i just want to see the proportion

i am myself, i heard people saying a alot of asians do medicine , now, i just want to do a random sample of people here right now - may not give reliable results, but let me see if it meets the generalisation
(edited 12 years ago)
My parents are hardly at home. My dad is always on business trips abroad and my mum and sisters are usually out shopping. You say you will try hard but end up procrastinating.

i am right now lol, i should be doing UKCAT revision..=/
if you're deferred entry, then no, you've already got a place providing you meet offers

if you're rejected 4 times, you have to re-do

ohh gosh :frown: can a uni say to you that they think your good enough but they want to defer you rather than you doing defered entry

Latest

Trending

Trending