The Student Room Group

Cupcake society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiss_me_now9
Recipe please!

I'll be doing a blog post about it tomorrow (revising for exams atm!), so I'll link you to it then :smile:
Original post by whitepearlbaby
Don't worry, it looks lovely :h:

I made some cute Easter cupcakes but forgot to take pictures :frown: Green butter cream icing and mini eggs on top :mmm:

Aww thanks! Not bad for a first attempt ay? Ahh unlucky :frown: Your cupcakes sound so cute as well ahaha.

I need to make another batch. The only problem is that I end up baking loads of cakes but don't have many people to give them to, so they end up going in the bin :frown:
Recipe please!

Death by Oreo cupcakes recipe :yep:
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Aww thanks! Not bad for a first attempt ay? Ahh unlucky :frown: Your cupcakes sound so cute as well ahaha.

I need to make another batch. The only problem is that I end up baking loads of cakes but don't have many people to give them to, so they end up going in the bin :frown:

Ah, I have the same problem- my family is small, and my mum doesnt like cake, so I sometimes have to throw the stale surplus out :frown:
Here is what I made earlier- lemon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. My piping skills are atrocious, but the taste is great :

Original post by AutVinceriAutMori
Ah, I have the same problem- my family is small, and my mum doesnt like cake, so I sometimes have to throw the stale surplus out :frown:
Here is what I made earlier- lemon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. My piping skills are atrocious, but the taste is great :

Haha but the icing still looks good! It looks like you intentionally iced them that way - just say that it is part of the design :biggrin: ahahah. They look so cute :smile:

Yeah me too! It's only me and my mum at home so you can imagine how many cakes we throw out! It gets sickly eating a cupcake a day...especially with the amount of icing that I put on em! ahah
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Haha but the icing still looks good! It looks like you intentionally iced them that way - just say that it is part of the design :biggrin: ahahah. They look so cute :smile:

Yeah me too! It's only me and my mum at home so you can imagine how many cakes we throw out! It gets sickly eating a cupcake a day...especially with the amount of icing that I put on em! ahah

Oh yeah, its my special design :cool: I have several nozzles for piping, and one got clogged up, so I used the ribbon one instead :biggrin:
This is why I don't put too much icing on, and try and use less butter in it :yep:
Cupcakes are great for parties though :yep:
Reply 286
Sent my friend to sainsburys yesturday as my humming bird bakery cake days book came. Result = best red velvet cakes ever.
Original post by Amstead
Sent my friend to sainsburys yesturday as my humming bird bakery cake days book came. Result = best red velvet cakes ever.

Pics or it didn't happen :mmm:
I :love: cupcakes!
Blueberry muffins are my favourite though :love:
blueberry-muffin.jpg
(edited 12 years ago)
Do it, and post the pics :^_^:
Awwwww cupcakes :biggrin:
Made some Mississippi Mud Pie cupcakes yesterday, not my taste but I'll take some pictures in a mo!
Reply 292
Cupcakes are the best. I usually follow the same recipe for good old fairy cakes, but I decided to treat myself and buy the Hummingbird bakery cookbook recently. So I thought I'd start off with the nice simple vanilla cupcakes on the first page- what could go wrong? Apparently, many things! XD

To start with our measuring jug only measures in increments of 50ml, so when 20ml of milk is called for, a guesstimate has to do. Following the recipe I then added all of this to my mixture, which meant I had a cake mix the consistency of pancake batter! Managed to sort of spoon it into cases, and stuck them in the oven. Everything was going well and they started rising nicely. Time up, cakes come out, all nice and risen. Ten minutes later they are all looking depressingly concave?!? :frown: So I decide the frosting is going to have to be awesome to hide the fact they've all caved in, so I set to work on that, again following their instructions rather than what I normally do. More milk is called for, again, I add to much because I can't measure accurately, the only thing for it is to keep beating it until it stiffens up. The book tells me to beat for five minutes straight, so I do. I then think I will add some blue food colouring, to get a nice pastel colour- bad idea. Turns out the beating has somehow managed to curdle my icing, meaning when I add blue the bowl becomes a mess of blue icing, but then then fact it's split is evident, because the curdles stuff stays white, Great! Anyway I put it all together, and covered with sprinkles, and oddly enough, they were actually some of the nicest tasting cakes I've made. But definitely a bit of a failure overall. :biggrin:
Original post by Kayak
Cupcakes are the best. I usually follow the same recipe for good old fairy cakes, but I decided to treat myself and buy the Hummingbird bakery cookbook recently. So I thought I'd start off with the nice simple vanilla cupcakes on the first page- what could go wrong? Apparently, many things! XD

To start with our measuring jug only measures in increments of 50ml, so when 20ml of milk is called for, a guesstimate has to do. Following the recipe I then added all of this to my mixture, which meant I had a cake mix the consistency of pancake batter! Managed to sort of spoon it into cases, and stuck them in the oven. Everything was going well and they started rising nicely. Time up, cakes come out, all nice and risen. Ten minutes later they are all looking depressingly concave?!? :frown: So I decide the frosting is going to have to be awesome to hide the fact they've all caved in, so I set to work on that, again following their instructions rather than what I normally do. More milk is called for, again, I add to much because I can't measure accurately, the only thing for it is to keep beating it until it stiffens up. The book tells me to beat for five minutes straight, so I do. I then think I will add some blue food colouring, to get a nice pastel colour- bad idea. Turns out the beating has somehow managed to curdle my icing, meaning when I add blue the bowl becomes a mess of blue icing, but then then fact it's split is evident, because the curdles stuff stays white, Great! Anyway I put it all together, and covered with sprinkles, and oddly enough, they were actually some of the nicest tasting cakes I've made. But definitely a bit of a failure overall. :biggrin:

TBH I think a lot of the recipes in the Hummingbird book haven't translated down from an industrial kitchen very well at all. Their red velvet cake calls for something like nearly a full bottle of red food colouring!

Concave cupcakes is either because your oven temp. wasn't correct, or a throwback to too much milk. You probably would've been better off to add a little more flour if you put too much milk in. As for the icing, was it a frosting? Your butter might have been the problem there, tbh. Confusing.
I haven't actually tried them but I put too much Jim Beam in them and I really can't stand the taste of liquer and chocolate :frown:
Reply 295
what a great society! :biggrin:
Reply 296
I don't know what cake to make for my birthday! I'm either going to make the oreo cupcakes as 1 cake or red velvet cupcakes. Halp?
Original post by Pi!
I don't know what cake to make for my birthday! I'm either going to make the oreo cupcakes as 1 cake or red velvet cupcakes. Halp?

How would you plan to do oreo cupcakes as a big cake? Very interesting :smile:
Reply 298
How would you plan to do oreo cupcakes as a big cake? Very interesting :smile:

Multiply a cupcake mixture by 1.5 usually makes enough for a 9 inch cake tin.
moi.

i live to eat cake

Quick Reply

Latest