The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex-jc123
Ah, finally someone who understands this! Everyone condemns me as a sexist bigot whenever I say that God created man and woman for different roles - although they are both equal in the eyes of God. The universe is based on balance (e.g. God's power and love) so to see women, for example, occupying most military and political positions would profoundly imbalance and distort the social order that God Himself has set in place.

do you mean 'most' as in majority of available roles? or 'most' as in, the majority of the roles available are unsuited to women.
Original post by rainbowbex
do you mean 'most' as in majority of available roles? or 'most' as in, the majority of the roles available are unsuited to women.

I meant 'most' as in the majority of roles are unsuited to women. I am not saying that they are necessarily more incompetent in areas of law/politics/military than men; I know plenty of women who are able to excel amongst male-dominated work environments.
I meant 'most' as in the majority of roles are unsuited to women. I am not saying that they are necessarily more incompetent in areas of law/politics/military than men; I know plenty of women who are able to excel amongst male-dominated work environments.

more incompetent is a ridiculous phrase.

what are you saying then? You're not being clear. You say the majority of roles are unsuited to women, and then say that you doing think they lack competence in those area's. So why exactly are they unsuited???

Military in terms of physicality is fairly obvious. but politically?
I love how you two just break into chatting bout complementarianism and egalatarism. And I just don't know what either means! :tongue: Yeah, I think when we listen to anyone preach we shouldn't take their word as fact, but ruminate on it and see if it rings true for us

From your post further down, it sounds like you're a complemegalitarian :tongue:

Ah, finally someone who understands this! Everyone condemns me as a sexist bigot whenever I say that God created man and woman for different roles - although they are both equal in the eyes of God. The universe is based on balance (e.g. God's power and love) so to see women, for example, occupying most military and political positions would profoundly imbalance and distort the social order that God Himself has set in place.

This is probably because a lot of the time, when churches do talk about the roles of men and women, they are being sexist bigots... I've heard so many churches teaching that women shouldn't work, and ought just to stay at home, it's unbelievable.
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
From your post further down, it sounds like you're a complemegalitarian :tongue:

This is probably because a lot of the time, when churches do talk about the roles of men and women, they are being sexist bigots... I've heard so many churches teaching that women shouldn't work, and ought just to stay at home, it's unbelievable.

Really? :tongue: tbh I'd really rather be a singlementarian. Yep, I just made that word up. :tongue: The point being I don't feel any burning need or desire to get married.

On the topic of things that I think are stupid: Couples that get married really young because a) they had sex and thought if they didn't they'd get burned in hell and b) because they won't to have sex without getting burned in hell. (note the exaggeration)

I'd say marrying the wrong man is a bigger mistake than having sex. (being as marriage is a thought through process and you make a promise, and with sex it can be more a matter of not thinking/getting carried away in the bedroom)

for the record, I'm not condemning either. On that topic, I don't know if it's come up before but general poll on sex before marriage. It's always a big un isn't it?
I'd say marrying the wrong man is a bigger mistake than having sex. (being as marriage is a thought through process and you make a promise, and with sex it can be more a matter of not thinking/getting carried away in the bedroom)

for the record, I'm not condemning either. On that topic, I don't know if it's come up before but general poll on sex before marriage. It's always a big un isn't it?

I agree :five:

I'm undecided on sex before marriage. I think Christians make a huge fuss about it when there are worse sins out there. Since I've never been in a relationship myself, I don't know what I'd end up doing if there was a guy I was sexually attracted to :nah:

I believe that there exist some suitable work roles for women, such as doctors, nurses, waitresses and other service-related jobs. But I do not think they should be politicians, soldiers or civil servants.
Sex before marriage is a big no for me, simply because the bible speaks out so much against it.
more incompetent is a ridiculous phrase.

what are you saying then? You're not being clear. You say the majority of roles are unsuited to women, and then say that you doing think they lack competence in those area's. So why exactly are they unsuited???

Military in terms of physicality is fairly obvious. but politically?

I did not say they lacked competence lol.

I do not believe that politics is a role for women. They are obviously just as capable as men in knowing the trappings of governance; but they lack the aura of authority which men naturally embrace. Moreover, the Bible states that women should personify more tender virtues, such as modesty (e.g. wearing a head scarf during church/assembly attendance).
Original post by JB Johnstone
Sex before marriage is a big no for me, simply because the bible speaks out so much against it.

Ah, the virtues of celibacy are endless! :smile: Not only is it pleasing to God, but it has been shown by psychologists that lust is a form of self-imprisonment, because you cannot control your senses. Therefore, a celibate man/woman is in more control of themselves and so therefore more able to serve/love God.

I do not believe that politics is a role for women. They are obviously just as capable as men in knowing the trappings of governance; but they lack the aura of authority which men naturally embrace. Moreover, the Bible states that women should personify more tender virtues, such as modesty (e.g. wearing a head scarf during church/assembly attendance).

Sorry, I miss spelt 'Don't' as 'doing' how idk. Clearly you're yet to meet a woman with an aura of authority if you think they can't pull it off. Female doctors are in a position of authority? if you're saying it is a lack of authority that prevents women from these roles, you are exluding them also from the roles of doctors and nurses too. Unfortunately I'm just not the tender type.

Spoiler

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I agree :five:

I'm undecided on sex before marriage. I think Christians make a huge fuss about it when there are worse sins out there. Since I've never been in a relationship myself, I don't know what I'd end up doing if there was a guy I was sexually attracted to :nah:

Sex before marriage is an incredibly difficult topic. I would never, and could never condemn anyone for doing such, especially when the issue is so complex. I think to decide not to, it takes a certain understanding of 'why not?' And sex shouldn't be turned into something evil or dirty. It's a perfectly natural desire. It does protect us emotionally and physically to minimise our sexual partners, and I think the more sexually involved/intimate you are with someone, the more it can hurt if it doesn't work out.. but on the other hand, it is natural and an important part of relationships. And relationship dynamics have changed in the time between now and when the bible was written.

I also think it's far easier to deny yourself something that isn't thrown in your face constantly in the media/tv/films as something amazing and great with (usually) little consequences and that you've no experience of.
Sex before marriage is an incredibly difficult topic. I would never, and could never condemn anyone for doing such, especially when the issue is so complex. I think to decide not to, it takes a certain understanding of 'why not?' And sex shouldn't be turned into something evil or dirty. It's a perfectly natural desire. It does protect us emotionally and physically to minimise our sexual partners, and I think the more sexually involved/intimate you are with someone, the more it can hurt if it doesn't work out.. but on the other hand, it is natural and an important part of relationships. And relationship dynamics have changed in the time between now and when the bible was written.

I also think it's far easier to deny yourself something that isn't thrown in your face constantly in the media/tv/films as something amazing and great with (usually) little consequences and that you've no experience of.

I think Christians inadvertently tend to give the simultaneous expression that sex is something loving and holy, yet also dirty and wrong. It's quite impressive really! :biggrin:

I wouldn't condemn anyone for it either :nah:
Really? :tongue: tbh I'd really rather be a singlementarian. Yep, I just made that word up. :tongue: The point being I don't feel any burning need or desire to get married.

On the topic of things that I think are stupid: Couples that get married really young because a) they had sex and thought if they didn't they'd get burned in hell and b) because they won't to have sex without getting burned in hell. (note the exaggeration)

You can be a singlementariancomplemegalitarian if you really want :tongue:

I'd also say no to sex before marriage.

I believe that there exist some suitable work roles for women, such as doctors, nurses, waitresses and other service-related jobs. But I do not think they should be politicians, soldiers or civil servants.

Do you think there are any job restrictions for men?

I think the idea that men 'naturally posses an aura of authority' is nonsense though. I know women who really do, men who really don't, and people of both genders really in between. In addition, even if you've only met men with aura's of authority, there is no guarantee that this is innate (I can see no reason why it would be).
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think Christians inadvertently tend to give the simultaneous expression that sex is something loving and holy, yet also dirty and wrong. It's quite impressive really! :biggrin:

I wouldn't condemn anyone for it either :nah:

:smile:

You can be a singlementariancomplemegalitarian if you really want :tongue:

I'd also say no to sex before marriage.

I don't know what that is, but OK :biggrin: Cool!

Do you think there are any job restrictions for men?

I think the idea that men 'naturally posses an aura of authority' is nonsense though. I know women who really do, men who really don't, and people of both genders really in between. In addition, even if you've only met men with aura's of authority, there is no guarantee that this is innate (I can see no reason why it would be).

Yeah, this guy's clearly never met my mother. She's not one to cross :tongue:
Women can definitely have a serious aura of authority. The headmistress of my school was one seriously kick-ass nun! :yep:
Reply 4295

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with you! Women in the church is an issue I'm passionate about, so this post could be a bit of a rant.

My parents are both clergy. Several women I know are ordained and are fantastic priests. There are also some fantastic female MPs, but I'll concentrate more on women and the church as that's a more relevant area to this thread. There is no reason, as far as I'm concerned, why women cannot take an equal role to men in the church. I'm not saying that women are the same as men, or that we should be treated exactly the same, but that we should certainly be given the same opportunities, particularly in terms of employment. The gifts you need to be a priest or a bishop are not exclusively male. In fact, I don't think there's such a thing as an exclusively male or an exclusively female trait. The reasons used to justify a male only episcopate (or priesthood, if you're Catholic) don't convince me - most of them are founded on very dodgy principles, and I believe that we should affirm anyone who feels genuinely called to the priesthood, male or female, straight or gay, old or young, whatever, it makes no difference. We are all equal under God, and to deny so many people a chance to live their life in the way that they feel called to do is sexist. I'm not a militant feminist, but on this issue, I strongly believe that there's no just option other than ordination of women.

http://womenandthechurch.org/ <<< more on the issue can probably be found here.
This was a recent thread kind-of on that topic:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1594379

Waiting till marriage myself :biggrin:
Also, for anyone very into their Philosophy of Religion, I've just made the opening statement in our debate here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32104301

It's quite in depth though, so feel free to ignore :biggrin:
Just read this cool paragraph on 1 Tim 1:13, where Paul says that "I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief"

"What did Paul's 'ignorance' have to do with his salvation? Is ignorance an excuse before God? Of course not! The fact of his ignorance is related to a special Jewish law (Lev 5:15-19, Num 15:22-31). If a person sinned knowingly 'with a high hand' in Israel, he was cut off from the people. But if he sinned in ignorance, he was permitted to bring the proper sacrifices to atone for his sins. Jesus recognized this principle when He prayed on the cross, 'Father, forgive them, for the know not what they do' (Luke 23:34). Their ignorance did not save them, nor did Christ's prayer save them; but the combination of the two postponed God's judgement, giving them an opportunity to be saved.' - Wiersbe
Original post by 22KT22
Can I please have prayer? Money is worrying my family at the moment so things are really difficult on top of my dads illness. Would really appreciate it.

Prayed :jumphug:

I'm no sex before marriage but find it pretty tricky! The guy I'm seeing at the minute isn't a Christian. The first time we met I told him I didn't do sex. He still turned up the next day for a date. And we've had a date since then! I asked him why he'd bothered to come (because he is quite laddy, goes out with his friends, they'll all end up at different girls houses etc.) and he said he was surprised himself that after learning I was no sex before marriage he still saw me. So not sure where that'll lead, but it's encouraging to know it isn't totally repelling all men!

Then again, I haven't been in a proper relationship for nearly 2 years now, and since coming to uni it's definitely been harder as everyone is more sex focused etc! Tricky tricky thing!

Latest

Trending

Trending