The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by 04bellot
Do our answers have to be word for word with what the markscheme says?

Of course not, but there are certain key words that are required to get a mark, for example, not including 'electrochemical graident' in a photosynthesis/respiration question could lose you a mark as correct terminology is often required.

I usually just chuck every relevant biological term I can think of into a question, for example, its difficult to not get full marks on an enzyme question if you stiick in 'complementary' 'enzyme-substrate complex' and 'specific' in.
Reply 421
Original post by Tericon
Of course not, but there are certain key words that are required to get a mark, for example, not including 'electrochemical graident' in a photosynthesis/respiration question could lose you a mark as correct terminology is often required.

I usually just chuck every relevant biological term I can think of into a question, for example, its difficult to not get full marks on an enzyme question if you stiick in 'complementary' 'enzyme-substrate complex' and 'specific' in.

Thanks, do you have any tips on how to answer the how science work type questions i always get an answer, think its right and then when i check it the markscheme has an answer that is completely different :/
Reply 422
Original post by 04bellot
Thanks, do you have any tips on how to answer the how science work type questions i always get an answer, think its right and then when i check it the markscheme has an answer that is completely different :/

Look at all the past papers you can, even those from other units and learn the questions and answers they commonly ask, they often recycle.

Learn the definitions of accuracy, precision, reliability, standard deviation and statistically significant.

Why is it important samples are random AVOID BIAS!

Familarise yourself with ratios, percentage increase/decrease, rate of change. Know all the formulas you can, if you know Hardy Weinburg well, a Hardy Weinburg question is a gift, theres no grey areas on the MS with those, its a mark for just working out (even with a wrong answer!) and a mark for the answer.

Why are the masses of apple slices given as a ratio: different starting masses, easy comparision.

Never discount the obvious answer, and always have a go, even if the idea in your head sounds absurd...sometimes AQAs HSW answers are absurd :tongue:
Reply 423
Original post by Tericon
Look at all the past papers you can, even those from other units and learn the questions and answers they commonly ask, they often recycle.

Learn the definitions of accuracy, precision, reliability, standard deviation and statistically significant.

Why is it important samples are random AVOID BIAS!

Familarise yourself with ratios, percentage increase/decrease, rate of change. Know all the formulas you can, if you know Hardy Weinburg well, a Hardy Weinburg question is a gift, theres no grey areas on the MS with those, its a mark for just working out (even with a wrong answer!) and a mark for the answer.

Why are the masses of apple slices given as a ratio: different starting masses, easy comparision.

Never discount the obvious answer, and always have a go, even if the idea in your head sounds absurd...sometimes AQAs HSW answers are absurd :tongue:

I'm going to look through all the past papers now :smile: Thanks for the advice!!
Reply 424
Original post by cws121
Jan 2010

In the light dependent reaction of photosynthesis, light energy generates ATP.
Describe how (5 marks)

Light (energy) excites/raises energy level of electrons in
chlorophyll;
2 Electrons pass down electron transfer chain;
3 (Electrons) reduce carriers/passage involves redox
reactions;
4 Electron transfer chain / role of chain associated with
chloroplast membranes / in thylakoids / grana;
5 Energy released / carriers at decreasing energy levels;
6 ATP generated from ADP and phosphate/Pi /
phosphorylation of ATP;

mark scheme dosent specifically mentions proton gradients though. But i dont see no harm in learning it just incase, and its just the same as respiration aint it which we do need to know except for its a thylokoid membrane instead of mitochondria membrane?

yes.
Original post by arvin_infinity
I would have spent ages thinking about this and not getting the answer...thanks
Producing say 32 ATP anaerobically need 16 times respiration which produces 32 co2 molecules (which is higher)

Still not sure about 2b tho:biggrin:

lost me completely on that one lol Good luck for tomorrow xxx
Reply 426
hey anyone have a copy of jan 2011 paper??? :frown:
Reply 427
Original post by khimmy
hey anyone have a copy of jan 2011 paper??? :frown:

It is under the first post of this thread :smile:
Reply 428
ooo silly me thanks :biggrin:
Reply 429
can anybody help me with question 5b on paper Jan 11? gross rate of photosynthesis!thanks.
Reply 430
hold on, 13th is tommorow?

ah crap.
Reply 431
Original post by Nat1986
can anybody help me with question 5b on paper Jan 11? gross rate of photosynthesis!thanks.

gross=net+ respiratory loss. so add the two values on the graph and you should get right answer x
Original post by denisewoosey
lost me completely on that one lol Good luck for tomorrow xxx

Haha
I will need it..am sure u do well xxx

Someone care to explain 7c and 7dii :rolleyes:

[URL="http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL4-W-QP-JAN10.PDF"]http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL4-W-QP-JAN10.PDF
Reply 433
Hey everyone, seen this in a couple of exams now so just thought i'd ask...

When looking at genetic diagrams, how CAN you tell/prove that the gene is dominant in the disease theyre talking about?

And also, how can you prove if a disease is sex linked?

That whole damn question pissed me off tbh. I wouldn't stress over it too much, the chance of us getting anything like that are slim-none.

For 7d) you just have to think like a farmer...
Reply 435
Original post by Es man
hold on, 13th is tommorow?

ah crap.

lol
So scared for this exam ... but looking at the AQA grade boundaries they seem pretty low ?!
e.g. 67% raw marks in June 10 would of given you full UMS?!?
Err. So what do you all think is the best thing to do from now until the exam? Application questions?
Original post by woods.vanessa
So scared for this exam ... but looking at the AQA grade boundaries they seem pretty low ?!
e.g. 67% raw marks in June 10 would of given you full UMS?!?

thats becuase this exam is a f-ing piss take! The wording of the questions is annoying as well as the HSW. It is a hard exam don't take it lightly! I resitting after getting a D!
Original post by User12399
thats becuase this exam is a f-ing piss take! The wording of the questions is annoying as well as the HSW. It is a hard exam don't take it lightly! I resitting after getting a D!

I find the hardest thing is the timing. In all the mocks I've done I never have time to check my answers, and I'm usually still writing as the time finishes...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending