The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodlzzz
Because he said that that which is willed by God is good. Therefore, we must use our conscience given by God to see what is good (as told by God). For example, the guilt I feel for pushing an old lady over is because it goes against my conscience where God said 'Thou shall not push old ladies over because I command it to be bad'

Intuitionism is cognitive because what is good is objective, we just can't use the environment to find it out.

No they don't assert that. They assert that all language can be applied to the principles of verifaction and falsification be it 'I had rice crispies for breakfast' or 'Jesus is the son of God'

They do conclude talking about God is meaningless because the religious shift the goal posts/ no way of verifying. However, they are still using a factual approach. If Jesus came down tomorrow and had God DNA then something factual can be said about it.

Why does it always come to this, we have resolved this earlier in the thread...the theories are cognitivist if they affirm that there is something factual to be said about God, because they are all theories about religious language, or about meta-ethics.
Original post by Ineluctable
Why does it always come to this, we have resolved this earlier in the thread...the theories are cognitivist if they affirm that there is something factual to be said about God, because they are all theories about religious language, or about meta-ethics.

The verification principle is a cognitive approach. When applied to religious langauge Ayer concluded it is meaningless and therefore religious language from his persepective is non-cognitive --> emotivism.

Perhaps we're arguing different things here? The approach is most certainly cognitive as it wasn't just created to talk about God but based on empiricsm do derive meaning from anything. However, as there is no way to verify religious language, religious langauge is in Ayer's eyes non-cognitive. Agree?
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh ok thanks.

S'ok :smile:
divine command theory is the voluntarist approach of the euthyphro dillemma which Augstine follows. Two words same thing (I feel like Ryle :wink:)

Ok, just to get this clear once and for all then:
a) Augustine believes in divine command theory which is one section of the euthyphro dilemma (that things are good because God commands them)
b) This then means that we have to use our conscience to find out what God wills to be good or bad.
c) In this way the conscience can be seen as the voice of God.
Original post by skygirl999
Ok, just to get this clear once and for all then:
a) Augustine believes in divine command theory which is one section of the euthyphro dilemma (that things are good because God commands them)
b) This then means that we have to use our conscience to find out what God wills to be good or bad.
c) In this way the conscience can be seen as the voice of God.

Yup, exactly :smile:
does anyone think they might ask a sexual ethics question in relation to homosexuality ? in light of all the advancements, such as legalised civil partnerships. they've never actually focused on applying the theory to either homosexuality or contraception, merely asking about general approaches on it and focusing in on the natural law approach. what do you guys think ? i really think sexual ethics is likely to come up as it's on every year.
I am burning out so badly on revising for this. :/ My brain is not big enough and I have Chemistry on Wednesday and Tuesday is being interrupted by General Studies and and and yeah.

Can anyone tell me what questions came up in January?
Yup, exactly :smile:

Phew! Ok thank you for all your help, and sorry for being a little bit thick today...too much philosophy and ethics floating around in my noggin!
Ok, this is probobly the most random question ever, but in John Hick's replica theory, where does John Smith leave and go to? Just wondering because in one mark scheme it says "candidates generally dealt well with Hick's replica theory, despite John Smith occasionally finding himself on a world tour of New York, New Zealand, Patagonia, and China."
Ok, this is probobly the most random question ever, but in John Hick's replica theory, where does John Smith leave and go to? Just wondering because in one mark scheme it says "candidates generally dealt well with Hick's replica theory, despite John Smith occasionally finding himself on a world tour of New York, New Zealand, Patagonia, and China."

People get confused because Hick describes the theory in three parts:
1. John Smith disappears and reappears
2. John Smith dies and is recreated somewhere else in this world
3. John Smith dies and is recreated somewhere in another resurrection world
The verification principle is a cognitive approach. When applied to religious langauge Ayer concluded it is meaningless and therefore religious language from his persepective is non-cognitive --> emotivism.

Perhaps we're arguing different things here? The approach is most certainly cognitive as it wasn't just created to talk about God but based on empiricsm do derive meaning from anything. However, as there is no way to verify religious language, religious langauge is in Ayer's eyes non-cognitive. Agree?

Yes

Aha good question :P London - New York most common
Reply 752

This could be wrong but my notes say:

In example 1: Person A disappears in New York and reappears as Person B the same time in London.

I've always read London to New York. Ah, the wit of some examiners :rolleyes:
does anyone have a top band/A grade essay on meta-ethics they'd be willing to share please???
Reply 755
I'm finding the notes on TSR for RS to be pretty pathetic - can anyone suggest a site with a more conprehensive collection of notes that I can use to add to my own.

The textbook is really annoying me atm :/
Silly pretty pictures and colours.
It's making me depressed
People get confused because Hick describes the theory in three parts:
1. John Smith disappears and reappears
2. John Smith dies and is recreated somewhere else in this world
3. John Smith dies and is recreated somewhere in another resurrection world

I understand that perfectly, I think you may have misread my question. Be careful of that in the exam :tongue:

Aha good question :P London - New York most common

Original post by xbabycakes
I've always read London to New York. Ah, the wit of some examiners :rolleyes:

Thanks to both of you though, London to New York it is!
Original post by ccasem11
I'm finding the notes on TSR for RS to be pretty pathetic - can anyone suggest a site with a more conprehensive collection of notes that I can use to add to my own.

The textbook is really annoying me atm :/
Silly pretty pictures and colours.
It's making me depressed

Philosophical investigations is quite good for ethics notes....don't know anywhere for philosophy notes though, sorry.
Did noone else do the ethics one in January?

And I'm actually gutted because j haven't revised LAD but have revised RS
Soooo pleased the exam is a morning one to get it out the way!
I still don't understand why the ethics and philosophy are on the same day. There is so *?!*@~# much to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending