The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Do we need to know how the specific structure of sarcomere changes when the muscle contracts?

Thanks
Reply 2041
do we need to know about troponin and f actin?
Original post by rebeccalouise_92
the insulin gene in the plasmid breaks the tetracycline resistance, so this means that the bacteria that takes up this plasmid will not grow on tetracycline as it is not resistant to it! so it will only grow on ampicillin, therefore we only want this bacteria :smile:

thankks :smile:

is there any reason why we break the tetracycline resistance and not the ampicillin?
Original post by thecookiem0nster
Reverse transcriptase is used to produce mRNA from DNA. So, it does the opposite of transcription. Its used in genetic engineering, when an mRNA strand for a gene has been isolate (e.g. insulin) then, it is possible to produce the corresponding DNA for insertion into a plasmid

Bacterial conjugation is the transfer of genetic material between bacterial cells by direct cell-to-cell contact or by a bridge-like connection between two cells. it allows them to exchange genes for resistance. ect.

Reverse transcriptase is a DNA polymerase enzyme that transcribes a single stranded RNA into a double stranded DNA.

I wouldn't worry too much about this since it was a question in the Jan paper I think.
Reply 2044
For sympatric speciation, you need distruptive selection to occur. I saw a legacy exam question where they had seahorses who were either big or small. They were undergoing distruptive selection and had formed seperate species in the same area. If a big seahorse and small seahorse had medium sized offspring, the medium sized offspring had a selective disadvantage. So the population eventually seperated so much into big and small that there was very little exchange of alleles. Therefore speciation had occured as they were no longer able to produce fertile offspring

biotic environmental pressures:
Competition - Interspecific and intraspecific
Availability of prey to eat
Diseases or infecting bacteria
Parasites

abiotic pressures:
Temperature
Water availability
Nitrates in the soil
Wind
Light

Thanks, that's a great and memorable example.

And thanks for the abiotic and biotic, too :smile:
Original post by MoMatrix

We do need to know troponin, and how it functions as it was in a mark scheme for a legacy paper that asked about the sliding filament model

Yeah, we need to know about f-actin although you dont need to refer to it with the "f"
Original post by 786girl
is this correct?
hydrolysis of ATP = breaks crossbridge?

Yeah, ATP is hydrolysed to break the cross bridge between myosin and troponin
Reverse transcriptase is used to produce mRNA from DNA. So, it does the opposite of transcription. Its used in genetic engineering, when an mRNA strand for a gene has been isolate (e.g. insulin) then, it is possible to produce the corresponding DNA for insertion into a plasmid

Bacterial conjugation is the transfer of genetic material between bacterial cells by direct cell-to-cell contact or by a bridge-like connection between two cells. it allows them to exchange genes for resistance. ect.

doesn't it produce a single strand of DNA (cDNA) from mRNA? sorry just worried now aha
Original post by MoMatrix

Yes.
Reply 2049

And RNA goes to cDNA through the use of reverse transcriptase, too :smile:
Original post by SR198198
1. Lac Operon
2. Apoptosis
3. Chi squared test
4. Hardy Weinberg Equations
5. Differences and similaries between natural and artificial selection
6. Genetic Drift
7. Advantages disadvantages of plant cloning
8. Immobilisation of enzymes
9. Electrophoresis
10. PCR
11. The Brain, structure and so on
12. Dopamine and the DRD4 receptor.

May be wrong tho man, but yeah hope that helps.

Didnt that Dopamine DRD4 stuff come up in a recent paper???
oh i hope that dont come up.. i dont get it :frown:
Reply 2051
what do you think the 2 LONG (10marks usually) QuestioNS will be on????????????????????????????
Original post by althornber1
doesn't it produce a single strand of DNA (cDNA) from mRNA? sorry just worried now aha

Thats right, it does make the single strand of cDNA. The single strand can be made double by DNA transcriptase. Sorry for making it a bit unclear
Original post by miss-pink09

Original post by miss-pink09
thankks :smile:

is there any reason why we break the tetracycline resistance and not the ampicillin?

yes because the binding site for the insulin gene is bang in the middle of the tetracycline resistant gene ! not the ampicillin. so ampicillin resitance remains :smile:
Reply 2054
Original post by Waqar Y
I don't think you'll need to know bacterial conjugation but reverse transcriptase is used to produce a DNA strand in the host cell. It basically takes RNA and changes it to DNA.

Why would you need to do that? or What would do that? :s-smilie:
Thats right, it does make the single strand of cDNA. The single strand can be made double by DNA transcriptase. Sorry for making it a bit unclear

Damn! i got it the wrong way round lol... sorry :smile:
Original post by rebeccalouise_92
yes because the binding site for the insulin gene is bang in the middle of the tetracycline resistant gene ! not the ampicillin. so ampicillin resitance remains :smile:

ahh you guys are genius' i love youuuuuuuu <3 haha
Reply 2057
Original post by Waqar Y
Crossing over in prophase 1 would give different allele combinations e.g could have a bit of chrosome 2 swapped with another bit of chromosome 2.

Random assortment of bivalents/chrosomosomes during metaphase 1

Random assortment of chromatids during metaphase 1

Fertilization is random too.

Even interphase, DNA replication - can go wrong and produce variation > but it's a bit too much i think

mutation too
quick question on subdivision of the nervous system - does peripheral split into sensory and motor, then motor splits into somatic and autonomic? not sure about the sensory/motor part :s-smilie:
Looking forward to 3.30 when this exam will be over :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending