The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kerry92
dont worry i think youve added wrong... last june on unit 4 56/85 was an A*! and jan 11 it was 58/85 for A*, it changes every time but as a rough idea im sure youll be fine if youre just after a B :biggrin:

57 UMS marks, not RAW marks :smile:

UMS = /100, so...
A = 80 UMS marks
B = 70 UMS marks
C = 60 UMS marks
D = 50 UMS marks
im sure its been done already but could someone please outline the things to consider for IDA - gender bias and that. im just a bit muddled up between it all atm lol thankss :smile:
Original post by Finolarose
im sure its been done already but could someone please outline the things to consider for IDA - gender bias and that. im just a bit muddled up between it all atm lol thankss :smile:

methodological evaluation
implications of research
reductionism
determinism
nature nurture
diasthesis stress

- as long as you mention some of it, its enough
Original post by antipesto93
implications of research
reductionism
determinism
nature nurture
diasthesis stress

thank you thank you thank you!

i need a B overall, got an A in the january paper but not amazing results last year - D and a C so a C overall. my teacher said if i get a mid B in this paper i'll get the B overall. someone tell me this is reasonable to achieve pleaseee? :s-smilie:
Reply 664
Original post by ironandwine
57 UMS marks, not RAW marks :smile:

UMS = /100, so...
A = 80 UMS marks
B = 70 UMS marks
C = 60 UMS marks
D = 50 UMS marks

ahh i see! :smile: looking at it in raw marks seems much more reachable for a higher grade!! youd think half would atleast be a C!
Reply 665
I only need 30 marks in this paper. But the A03 really messes up for me, I honestly feel like I repeat myself with the whole "Too generalised, reductionist, blah blah' I can't seem to think about other things for A03. /shrug
Original post by Finolarose

IDA includes gender (alpha & beta), cultural (ethnocentric, etic, emic), implications, ethics, use of other approaches, free will/determinism, nature/nurture, reductionism/holism etc.

It does not include methodological evaluation, which is A03 (unless you obviously relate a problem of the study to IDA)
Original post by Mehhhx
I only need 30 marks in this paper. But the A03 really messes up for me, I honestly feel like I repeat myself with the whole "Too generalised, reductionist, blah blah' I can't seem to think about other things for A03. /shrug

I know that feeling, think I need a low D for an A (but trying to aim for a*). A03 is methodology, not IDA (the reductionist point). Remember there is only a 4 Mark A03 allocation, so I wouldn't stress too much :smile: you can also talk about why a study is good, EG it's prospective so results are not affected by incorrect recall, therefore this study has great support for XYZ theory :smile:
Reply 668
Original post by sweet&petitee
I know that feeling, think I need a low D for an A (but trying to aim for a*). A03 is methodology, not IDA (the reductionist point). Remember there is only a 4 Mark A03 allocation, so I wouldn't stress too much :smile: you can also talk about why a study is good, EG it's prospective so results are not affected by incorrect recall, therefore this study has great support for XYZ theory :smile:

Oh I see, thankss (: Yeah, I seem to try and look at the negatives of a study way more than the positives.
Original post by antipesto93
implications of research
reductionism
determinism
nature nurture
diasthesis stress

What is the diathesis stress thing?
Reply 670
Anyone got anything on Agnosias and Prospagnosia for perception.
I am struggling-I hate perception with a passion!
How much is IDA actually worth?
I have the balance sorted but I think I am saying a little less on the IDA.

I usually leave it to the end...for example

This is reductionist beacuase.....
This is not generalisable....
self imposed etic....
Nature/Nurture (diathesis stress model)...

Would a sentence or two for each of those (if applicable) be enough?

Thanks for the help guys!
Can somebogy work out my UMS mark to get a B overall? (I never really understand in -LOL, sorry :frown:)

I got a B in PSYA2 = 78 and I got an A in PSYA1=82
Tho I got an E in PSYA4 but resitting that!
Original post by Becksiee26
Can somebogy work out my UMS mark to get a B overall? (I never really understand in -LOL, sorry :frown:)

I got a B in PSYA2 = 78 and I got an A in PSYA1=82
Tho I got an E in PSYA4 but resitting that!

For a B, you need 280 marks overall. This means you need 120 marks TOGETHER in PSYA3&4, so average 60 UMS in each (that's a low C).
Good luck!
Original post by TheRockMaster
How much is IDA actually worth?
I have the balance sorted but I think I am saying a little less on the IDA.

I usually leave it to the end...for example

This is reductionist beacuase.....
This is not generalisable....
self imposed etic....
Nature/Nurture (diathesis stress model)...

Would a sentence or two for each of those (if applicable) be enough?

Thanks for the help guys!

In a full 25 marker, it is 9 for AO1, and 16 for AO2. 4 of the AO2 marks come from IDA, but you need to have a mention of them to get into the higher grade bands.

So basically: AO1- 9 marks
AO2 (Methodological evaluation)- 12 marks
AO2/3 (IDA)- 4 marks

Hope that helps? Aha, I'm only going for a C though, take what I say with a pinch of salt...
Original post by monkajanik
For a B, you need 280 marks overall. This means you need 120 marks TOGETHER in PSYA3&4, so average 60 UMS in each (that's a low C).
Good luck!

oooh thank you SO much for doing that for me! I hope my chances of gaining that are with me -finders crossed-

thanks for the luck, i'm gonna need it -.-
Original post by monkajanik
Good luck!

just thought.. isnt it 140 TOGETHER, then 70UMS? which is what grade? x
Quick Question:

If a question asks about the development of a childs sense of self - i talk about TOM...?

AND

If a question asks about the development of a childs sense of others - i talk about Selmans Perspective taking...?

BTW: Cognition and development
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Becksiee26
just thought.. isnt it 140 TOGETHER, then 70UMS? which is what grade? x

You've got 82 + 78 = 160 already.
So you need 120 more UMS marks to get the overall 280 required for a B grade :smile:
(So two low C grades in each exam).
Original post by ironandwine
You've got 82 + 78 = 160 already.
So you need 120 more UMS marks to get the overall 280 required for a B grade :smile:
(So two low C grades in each exam).

baahaha. Oops. I get it know.. -guilty-

rightio, thanks for making that make some more sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending