The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Isn't for me but for a friend:

4A* 6A at GCSE and 3As at A level. Just finishing his third year of Law and French Law at UCL (Currently expecting a 2:1). Fluent in English and French.

Star athlete. Runs at a competitive level for the UK (possible competitor for Great Britain next year).

Probably won't like the hours in IB. What are his chances of consultancy at the big 3 (MBB)? Do you think he'd make more money if he decided to practice corporate law instead?
Reply 2161
Original post by Kimchi_JP
I was thinking about going into IB and I have to ask this. I will be attending university of warwick this year and will be studying like 65% of my course at WBS. I understand Warwick is well respected but I have VERY mediocre grades at GCSE and A-levels. Will my poor GCSE and A-level grades mean that even if I get a 2:1 or 1st I have no chance at going into IB?

GCSE - 5As and the rest Bs
Alevels - AAB

Having AAB in comparison to AAA is going to make little to no difference to your chances. It is one line on your CV pretty much and they won't ask you about your A-levels at all. Candidates are selected based on their performance at interview given that they are above a certain educational threshold. You will meet this if you get a 2.1 at Warwick so it will be your interview that decides whether you get a job not your education.
Reply 2162
Original post by Kimchi_JP
Oh right thanks. I actually do know some people in IB and they said the same thing as you but some of the people on here seem to say you need like a gazillion A* so I was curious as to if the policy has recently changed. The IB people also said that around 90% of people are from target unis when they went into their internships (this was like 6 years ago tho). Is this still true or are the banks a bit more lenient lately.

For IBD roughly 80% of people come from either UK target Unis or Euro business schools. Warwick falls in the 'target' bracket.
Is it bad that my A2 subjects will be maths, physics & applied business ???
Original post by Imperial Blitz

Yep.
Reply 2165
Original post by Imperial Blitz

It would be better if you did something else instead of applied business but it doesn't really matter in comparison to which uni you go to and what you do in your spare time.
Original post by DeeDub
It would be better if you did something else instead of applied business but it doesn't really matter in comparison to which uni you go to and what you do in your spare time.

Except that the which uni part depends quite a bit on the which a-levels part.
Reply 2167
Original post by BigFudamental
Except that the which uni part depends quite a bit on the which a-levels part.

True but that is pretty obvious and his a-levels only have a minor direct effect.
GCSEs

Lowest likely : 4A* 3A 2B 1C
Highest Likely: 8A* 1A 1B

IB choices:

Maths HL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

History SL
English SL
French SL

I'm part way through my GCSEs
I took it as I enjoyed business and because my school didn't offer economics till next year…

And no way I'm taking chemistry to A2
Reply 2170
Original post by trance addict
isnt it still hard regardless getting into IB from one of these institutions

I think if you're british/ HK is fairly easy. I guess it depends on your definition of "hard" too. The problem with the UK is that they have no selection to get into Uni. Everyone pretty much gets the courses they want to do as long as they pay, because grades aren't selective. Then you end up with a bottle neck at the end of your degree and employers might as well flip a coin to hire people. I met some people working in IB who look really smart and others who look like some of my worst colleagues in High School, only they are wearing a suit and making lots of money instead of being behind a counter. It's stupid.
Original post by orchid1
I think if you're british/ HK is fairly easy. I guess it depends on your definition of "hard" too. The problem with the UK is that they have no selection to get into Uni. Everyone pretty much gets the courses they want to do as long as they pay, because grades aren't selective. Then you end up with a bottle neck at the end of your degree and employers might as well flip a coin to hire people. I met some people working in IB who look really smart and others who look like some of my worst colleagues in High School, only they are wearing a suit and making lots of money instead of being behind a counter. It's stupid.

No, you are.
7 GCSEs Maths, English, Double Science A to C
3 A Levels Business Studies C Economics A History B General Studies A
BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance Liverpool John Moores University (Not quite target I know, but predicted confortable 2:1)
Hoping to do an MBA at Cass at some point.
I know I might not be academically gifted like some of you nerds on here, but I have the gift of the gab and have done really well in part time sales jobs. I have also helped fund myself through uni with Betfair. I've heard that's a lot like the financial markets, knowing when to take a calculated risk etc. I've heard a lot of Investment Banks like these wide boy characters, which my mates think I am, because investment banking is all about bluffing and schmoozing clients right?
Reply 2173
Original post by downthepan
7 GCSEs Maths, English, Double Science A to C
3 A Levels Business Studies C Economics A History B General Studies A
BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance Liverpool John Moores University (Not quite target I know, but predicted confortable 2:1)
Hoping to do an MBA at Cass at some point.
I know I might not be academically gifted like some of you nerds on here, but I have the gift of the gab and have done really well in part time sales jobs. I have also helped fund myself through uni with Betfair. I've heard that's a lot like the financial markets, knowing when to take a calculated risk etc. I've heard a lot of Investment Banks like these wide boy characters, which my mates think I am, because investment banking is all about bluffing and schmoozing clients right?

A shot at IB directly. Not a chance unless your Dad owns Sweden.

You'd have a good shot a Big 4 though. They take anyone with a 2:1 although your UCAS points (300) might be a slight issue. If you worked hard and networked vehemently you could make the transition into IB after you're ACA qualified.

ACA -----> Corp Finance happens quite often.

A masters at a more reputable uni is always an option to.

No offense intended but you seem to have an extremely basic idea of what investment banking actually involves. I suggest you find some resources over the internet (there's plenty about, just use google) to give you a better idea of the industry.
Reply 2174
A Levels: I'm an international student, but I think my results converted would be a mixture of A and A*
Uni: I study Accounting & Finance at the LSE equivalent of my country, have averaged a 1.1 in all exams
Work Experience: International internship at big 4 last year, this year interning at Merrill Lynch
Extra curriculars: Not much on the finance side, but I dance competitively on an international level and tutor disadvantaged students. Also I speak near fluent french, went to the Sorbonne for a month.

As an international student I have no idea of my chances for IB, I would appreciate any opinions :-D
Reply 2175
Original post by Zweihander
No, you are.

No I am not stupid, you should get to know a bit more of the world. UK's education system is not meritocratic, starting with public schools, and moving on to grade inflation. for my Uni access scores were from 0 to 100. That means a point difference between people can make a difference in order to get access to a certain degree. The curve of grades in a fair/ selective classification, should be close to normal curve, that means there should be almost as many people getting 0-20 as 80-100. Thats not what happens in A levels is it? In UK University is paid for and they want as many students as possible to generate business. Therefore everyone gets lots of A's. I cannot answer for all Uni's in UK, but i took a course at the LSE and 90% of people scored A+ in the final exam, probably to keep clients happy as well.
Original post by orchid1
Therefore everyone gets lots of A's. I cannot answer for all Uni's in UK, but i took a course at the LSE and 90% of people scored A+ in the final exam, probably to keep clients happy as well.

That's the summer school....hardly a sound basis from which to criticise the entire UK education system, or even LSE's (also I have a strong suspicion you've exaggerated that number).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2177
Original post by Lawlorl5
A Levels: I'm an international student, but I think my results converted would be a mixture of A and A*
Uni: I study Accounting & Finance at the LSE equivalent of my country, have averaged a 1.1 in all exams
Work Experience: International internship at big 4 last year, this year interning at Merrill Lynch
Extra curriculars: Not much on the finance side, but I dance competitively on an international level and tutor disadvantaged students. Also I speak near fluent french, went to the Sorbonne for a month.

As an international student I have no idea of my chances for IB, I would appreciate any opinions :-D

the fact that you're interning at BoAML this year should answer your question.
Original post by crafty bison
It would really help if you did a bit of research first - firstly as to which of the two career paths you want to go for, and secondly about the career paths themselves. Accenture and McKinsey should never be mentioned in the same breath, but since those are the two you ask about: yes, it's definitely good enough for Accenture; it COULD be good enough for McKinsey but only with excellent extra-curriculars and work experience.

Hello,

you seem to have knowledge regarding IB etc so
my alevels AAB
and I am predicted to get 1st in Economics and Finance at QMUL
so do u fink i have a shot at IB or consultancy.

Thanks advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by BigFudamental
That's the summer school....hardly a sound basis from which to criticise the entire UK education system, or even LSE's (also I have a strong suspicion you've exaggerated that number).

Hello,

you seem to have knowledge regarding IB etc so
my alevels AAB
and I am predicted to get 1st in Economics and Finance at QMUL
so do u fink i have a shot at IB or consultancy.

Thanks advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending