The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
For people who got offers for any colleges for maths, can you tell me what you had to do to get the offer? Is getting gold band for maths challege neccessary? Or did people just do well in the A Level maths and got offer? I don't know what I need to have to do T_T one person in my school got an offer from homerton college and he didnt do anything special at all, he didnt get anything in the maths challenge and he even did resits for C3. He still got an offer from cambridge. Other person i know was selected for Balakan maths olympiad and got in the cambridge. What do i really need to do?
Reply 1781
Original post by hjh9432
For people who got offers for any colleges for maths, can you tell me what you had to do to get the offer? Is getting gold band for maths challege neccessary? Or did people just do well in the A Level maths and got offer? I don't know what I need to have to do T_T one person in my school got an offer from homerton college and he didnt do anything special at all, he didnt get anything in the maths challenge and he even did resits for C3. He still got an offer from cambridge. Other person i know was selected for Balakan maths olympiad and got in the cambridge. What do i really need to do?

Get pretty good AS maths UMS, be interested in maths and be good at maths. You don't need to do anything extraordinary... It might be worth looking at some STEP 1 papers if you're in year 12, or just reading some books. This is also the wrong thread for this kind of question: post on the 2012 applicants' page, there are loads of current offer-holders/students willing to help out there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kenyan1231
have people heard from their colleges about accomodation etc. yet? i havent heard anything since i firmed my choice... for christs btw.

I've had a few bits through from Emmanuel... About what price band I want, and what Court I'd prefer... I think we're all guaranteed accommodation though, so I don't think it's a big deal. Guaranteed assuming we get in that is... :wink:
Reply 1783
Original post by Jessie9224
I know this is a really late response to your question, but I really hope I'll be doing English at Robinson :smile:

woohoo! thats so exciting! did you apply there or get pooled?
Reply 1784
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Hello, can one of you lovely people tell me when we actually move in? My course starts 1st Oct, is there freshers before that? It's St John's if that makes a difference :dontknow:

we have a special vet freshers thing too cause we're awesome :-D i believe it goes on once lectures have started though :rolleyes:
Original post by beanie55
woohoo! thats so exciting! did you apply there or get pooled?

Well, funny story that. I applied to Selwyn, but applied for a Choral Scholarship. On the Choral Scholarship form you rate the colleges in order of preference and Selwyn choir didn't want me, so I was moved to my second choice, which was Robinson and had my interview there. So I didn't apply there, but I didn't get pooled either.
How about you? What subject are you hoping to do. I somewhat doubt I'll actually be at Robinson next year, if my history went as badly as I think it did today, but I guess I'll just pray. :s
Reply 1786
Well, funny story that. I applied to Selwyn, but applied for a Choral Scholarship. On the Choral Scholarship form you rate the colleges in order of preference and Selwyn choir didn't want me, so I was moved to my second choice, which was Robinson and had my interview there. So I didn't apply there, but I didn't get pooled either.
How about you? What subject are you hoping to do. I somewhat doubt I'll actually be at Robinson next year, if my history went as badly as I think it did today, but I guess I'll just pray. :s

Im sure you'll be ok, from what i've heard everyone thought that history was a bitch so it'll be standardised in your favour (thats the optimistic view that i take with all my exams :s-smilie:)
I chose Robinson as first choice - i kinda wanted somewhere thats a bit chilled out to go back to after lectures and i didnt want to have to be worrying about the whole 'you cant walk on the grass' thing. Plus I've heard its food and accommodation is really good :biggrin:
Im going to to Veterinary Medicine - sooooooooooo excited but like you am worried about the grades. That A* is difficult to get!

you're going to be a choral scholar? THIS IS AWESOME. I'm a choral scholar :P It's fun. Are you a sop or an alto?
Original post by kpatb
I would rather be anonymous on here, but yes, you probably have seen me on the FB group :smile:
Don't worry about not receiving a confirmation after firming on UCAS. They did reply to my email right after I got my offer saying that I would be accepting (even though I hadn't firmed it on UCAS at that stage).

As you say, if you're very concerned, just email and ask :smile:

(Again, about a month or two ago, you should have recieved an email or a letter in the post telling you about the fact that the page was updated for 2011 Fresher's... make sure that the college have your email and or postal address :smile: )

I'm Physical NatSci toooo! I'm going to do Physics, Chemistry but not sure about my last module.

the last comms i got was about if you just miss your offer. hoping i never have to get that letter out again!

same here with modules. i'm not quite sure about the last one, but i'd quite like to do a biology module. with the slight problem that I didnt do the A level, I've just kept it up as a passing interest. oh well...

oh and thanks for the advice on email address etc. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
WHO WAS IT THAT SAID EMMA WATSON WAS COMING TO CAM? She's off to Oxford :facepalm: silly girl! Bad decision!
Original post by Smelly Ellie
WHO WAS IT THAT SAID EMMA WATSON WAS COMING TO CAM? She's off to Oxford :facepalm: silly girl! Bad decision!

Well that's very disappointing! :frown: Ahwell, her loss I guess.
Reply 1791
we have a special vet freshers thing too cause we're awesome :-D i believe it goes on once lectures have started though :rolleyes:

Special vet freshers thing- whoo! So excited for freshers =D
Original post by charlottesometimes
you're going to be a choral scholar? THIS IS AWESOME. I'm a choral scholar :P It's fun. Are you a sop or an alto?

Wooo! English Choral Scholars :biggrin: (If i get the grades...) I'm a Sop. How about you? I read Maggi Dawn's book the other day without realising she was the chaplain, I told everyone she was when I finished, but they weren't really very interested. :eek:
Im sure you'll be ok, from what i've heard everyone thought that history was a bitch so it'll be standardised in your favour (thats the optimistic view that i take with all my exams :s-smilie:)
I chose Robinson as first choice - i kinda wanted somewhere thats a bit chilled out to go back to after lectures and i didnt want to have to be worrying about the whole 'you cant walk on the grass' thing. Plus I've heard its food and accommodation is really good :biggrin:
Im going to to Veterinary Medicine - sooooooooooo excited but like you am worried about the grades. That A* is difficult to get!

Yeah, once I read all the Robinson stuff, i was quite glad to have been moved. Plus the food looks lovely. I hope we'll all be fine :smile: It's the not the A* that I'm worried about so much. It's one of As. I should never, ever have taken Latin. You've done amazingly well to get an offer for vet., everyone I know who applied got rejected from everywhere. It's seems so, so competitive!
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Was that the reason for those very, very abusive emails? :p:

Imaginary pos rep :biggrin:
Wooo! English Choral Scholars :biggrin: (If i get the grades...) I'm a Sop. How about you? I read Maggi Dawn's book the other day without realising she was the chaplain, I told everyone she was when I finished, but they weren't really very interested. :eek:

I'm a sop too :smile: I think the new organ scholar is an Engling as well. The choir's awesome, everyone's really friendly, which is nice and Maggi's great - although I know we are getting a new chaplain sometime soon, but hopefully you'll get to meet her! This is cool - you might well end up being my college niece then, given that we're both musical Englings.
Reply 1797
Can't believe John's offered me A*A*A ,the pain of this revision and pressure has nearly won out over the initial excitement of the offer, I hate this college and I'm not even there yet :angry: :angry: Is anyone else in the same boat?
Reply 1798
Also, is anyone doing Eng Lit B on AQA board, if so, how are you going about preparation? I'm literally unable to revise it
Original post by dog24
Can't believe John's offered me A*A*A ,the pain of this revision and pressure has nearly won out over the initial excitement of the offer, I hate this college and I'm not even there yet :angry: :angry: Is anyone else in the same boat?

If they gave you the offer, just keep believing that they gave it to you because they believe you can achieve it! :biggrin: You know you can, I hope. :h: I initially thought the interview would be the hard bit of getting to Cambridge. :tongue: My mind is starting to change now it's exam season...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending