The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2120
Other than;
Finding new drugs from plants
Taking more species and utilising them for food sources
Maintaining habitats and thus biodiversity

What are the reasons for conservation.. ?
Could be a nasty five marker :frown:
Original post by 786girl
please could somone outline the points about NERVIUS SYSTEM its the only topic i feel very weak at. help!!

also just as a general question; has there ever been a time when u have WORKED VERY HARD and put it a lot of effort into revising and still get a grade with which u were disappointed? or does hard work always pay off?

For the nervous system you would need to know organisation:

2 divisions:

Central Nervous system and Peripheral Nervous system

- Central Nervous system consists of the brain(need to know the brain hemispheres) and the spinal cord.

- Peripheral consists of the Somatic and the Autonomic nervous system

Somatic is basically the voluntary responses and some involuntary responses(eg breathing and blinking of the eyes and muscle contraction) with lots of motor and sensory neurones.

Autonomic consists of the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system. Sympa is for increased arousal and stress. It prepares the body for action.
Parasympa is for relaxation and restoration. it brings the body back into homeostasis - it works as a negative feed back :biggrin:
These two systems works antagonistically - they work to oppose the action of the other.
You also have to know the physiological effects of sympathetic and parasympathetic system on the body eg dilation and constriction of pupills and be able to explain why - eg pupils dilate due to the sympathetic system trying to prepared to fight or flight. pupils need to be diluted as we need to have clear vision.

etc.

HARD WORK PAYS OFF!! Haha you just need to cram and do past papers.
Reply 2122
Original post by CoventryCity
In the golden rice example do we need to remember the name of the gene and bacteria?

Yepp :smile:
Reply 2123
Original post by HEC14
Other than;

Social reasons-for recreation and aesthetics, ethical reasons-living things have a right to exist and its our moral duty to conserve for future generations.
Original post by HEC14
Other than;

Maintaining genetic diversity
OH!
Aesthetic, economic, social reasons!
Synoptic stuff from AS, go over it! :biggrin:
Reply 2125
Original post by 786girl
please could somone outline the points about NERVIUS SYSTEM its the only topic i feel very weak at. help!!

also just as a general question; has there ever been a time when u have WORKED VERY HARD and put it a lot of effort into revising and still get a grade with which u were disappointed? or does hard work always pay off?

NERVOUS SYSTEM
Consists of the Central Nervous System and the Peripheral Nervous System

The CNS: Consists of the brain and the spinal cord. Brain has White matter (myelinated neurones) and Grey Matter (non-myelinated neurones)

The PNS: Consists of the Motor and Sensory Nervous Systems in which the motor neurones carry impulses from the CNS to the EFFECTORS and the Sensory neurones carry impulses from the RECEPTORS to the CNS.

The MOTOR NEURONE/NERVOUS SYSTEM: Consists of the Somatic and Autonomic Nervous Systems. The Somatic nervous system carries impulses from the CNS to the skeletal muscles (muscles under voluntary control of the cerebellum). The Autonomic nervous system carries impulses from the CNS to the cardiac muscles, smooth muscles in the gut and the muscles that control breathing.

The Autonomic nervous system is further divided into two subsystems The Sympathetic Nervous System and the Parasympathetic Nervous System

The Sympathetic Nervous System

It is most active during times of stress.
It's neurones are linked at a ganglion just outside of the spinal cord, hence its pre-ganglion neurone is very short.
The post-ganglion neurone secretes noradrenaline(think of adrenaline and how it comes up during times of stress in "fight or flight", not the same but still can help) at the synapse between the neurone and effector.

effects of action: increased heart rate, increased breathing rate, pupil dilation and orgasm.

The Parasympathetic Nervous System

It is most active during sleep and relaxation (probably not right now considering F215 is going to be the death of me)
It's neurones are linked at a ganglion in the target tissue itself. Hence the pre-ganglion neurone is variable in length.
The post-ganglion neurone secretes acetylcholine (same as in muscle contraction) as the neurotransmitter at the synapse between the neurone and effector.

effects of action: decreased heart rate, decreased breathing rate, pupil constriction and sexual arousal

The nervous system along with the endocrine system are essential for the animal response to external and internal stimuli.
Need more coffee...
Reply 2127
Original post by Bintang
Social reasons-for recreation and aesthetics, ethical reasons-living things have a right to exist and its our moral duty to conserve for future generations.

Okay thanks :smile:!
Any idea of the 'exact' definition of genetic code?
Original post by HEC14
Other than;

ummmm

i think for ecotourism :biggrin:

thats a fourth mark teehee
DUDES AND DUDETTES, thank me later, If anyones looking for questions i got a ****load, check it: so my mate emailed this college asking if he could use this software to take only questions that are relevant to the new syllabus from old exam papers, and they let him so he made a dope file of compilations of questions for each of the 4 modules split up into sections.

this is the download link:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0PrtPSCteJZZmUzN2YwMjUtOWE3OS00Y2VhLTlhYTMtY2M0MDVjYWVmYTI0&hl=en

Go to the Question bank folder, then the Unit 5 folder.
Maadness.
Reply 2130
Original post by Limesasquatch
ummmm

i think for ecotourism :biggrin:

thats a fourth mark teehee

Hahah! Thankyou, i always get confused between preservation and conservation! Uhoh!
Original post by HEC14
Okay thanks :smile:!
Any idea of the 'exact' definition of genetic code?

other than the triplet = codon, can be degenerate codons, and some are stop codons, no.
Reply 2132
Yeah and hard work always pays off, so peeps tell me are you working hard or hardly working?:tongue:
Reply 2133
Hey guys important question here. It says that the hypothalamus controls the fight and flight response including increase in heart rate but isnt it the medulla oblongata that controls the heart rate? Also, how does the medulla oblongata control the action of the gut wall and what the heck is it used for? Thumbs up for answers. cheers x
Am I a b*stard if i don't help some people when I can, solely for the chance that a few people get a few marks lower and the national average decreases slightly, and my UMS score might increase?
Reply 2135
Original post by Jhyzone
Maintaining genetic diversity
OH!
Aesthetic, economic, social reasons!
Synoptic stuff from AS, go over it! :biggrin:

Thanksss!
I guess i should probably flick through notes from last year!
Good Luck tmmrw :smile:

And the definition of Genetic code.. Anyone? :smile:
Original post by fahimak
hey does anyone know the grade boundries for f215 specimen paper?

the specimen does'nt have any boundaries...but its probably 60 - 65 for the A grade...and 35+ to pass it...sometimes Specimen questions have featured in the actual examination hmmm
Original post by subsist
Hey guys important question here. It says that the hypothalamus controls the fight and flight response including increase in heart rate but isnt it the medulla oblongata that controls the heart rate? Also, how does the medulla oblongata control the action of the gut wall and what the heck is it used for? Thumbs up for answers. cheers x

medulla oblongata is like the autonomic nervous system controller thing. and the heart rate is autonomic.
Hypothalamus controls the glands and i think maybe the smooth muscle (?), maybe you shouldn't trust me entirely im not too sure. I should really go and revise instead.
Reply 2138
Original post by subsist

The Medulla Oblongata Controls the Autonomic nervous system.. which is in control of all the involuntary muscle.. which is the muscle controlling the action of the gut wall..
:smile:
Guys....differences and similarites between natural and artificial selection ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending