The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limesasquatch
Am I a b*stard if i don't help some people when I can, solely for the chance that a few people get a few marks lower and the national average decreases slightly, and my UMS score might increase?

At least it's honest :rolleyes:

It was similar when my friend who has done F*** all throughout the year decides to frantically call me and ask whether I can spend time going though stuff with them, because they don't get it :mad:
Reply 2141
And remember guys we only need to be told the % of q^2 or p^2 in a population (or p or q) as we know that if we square root it we can put it into the equation p+q= 1 and from there go on to use p^2 + q^2 + 2pq = 1
Original post by M_I
What's bacterial conjugation?

Also does anyone know what reverse transcriptase is used for?

Convert RNA to cDNA :smile:
Original post by subsist
Hey guys important question here. It says that the hypothalamus controls the fight and flight response including increase in heart rate but isnt it the medulla oblongata that controls the heart rate? Also, how does the medulla oblongata control the action of the gut wall and what the heck is it used for? Thumbs up for answers. cheers x

1) Yes, you're right. But then hypothalamus is the area where homeostasis is controlled so surely it must have also a role in heart rate. Medulla controls it but hypothalamus is the one that stimulates it to do so.

2) The medulla oblongata is responsible for involuntary responses eg peristalsis - the word for what you said on your second question. It does this because we do not need to think about it - it just goes down our stomach. Another example is blinking.

IF not clear, quote me back.
Reply 2144
Original post by Limesasquatch
Am I a b*stard if i don't help some people when I can, solely for the chance that a few people get a few marks lower and the national average decreases slightly, and my UMS score might increase?

loool i see what u mean, but then its a bit sly getting help off this thread and not contributing, i dont mind doing so cause most of the ppl in here are nice.
but i wouldnt help others eg ppl at college who do nothing throughout the year and ask for help in the end
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Not at all :frown:
I'm trying to be positive though haha, so yeah it's gonna be great!!!! ... :/
You?

hope its a easy paper with low grade boundaries
Reply 2146
Original post by guitarmike456

...after having extracted it from the DNA of a pancreas cell for example :smile:
Gene technology is such a ridiculous module. Verbal diarrhea.

reverse transcriptase is used to convert RNA to DNA. :smile:
Reply 2149
Original post by 786girl
loool i see what u mean, but then its a bit sly getting help off this thread and not contributing, i dont mind doing so cause most of the ppl in here are nice.
but i wouldnt help others eg ppl at college who do nothing throughout the year and ask for help in the end

but then how do you know some of the people asking on here haven't done nothing throughout the year?
what are the ways in which meiosis leads to genetic variation?
Original post by 786girl

dont wowwy im nice weally :biggrin:
I have help 2 people alweady (I think)

Converts Mrna to Cdna actually. It is Cdna because it does not include the introns so it is not exactly the same. introns are the non-coding dna.
Reply 2153
Original post by SR198198
DUDES AND DUDETTES, thank me later, If anyones looking for questions i got a ****load, check it: so my mate emailed this college asking if he could use this software to take only questions that are relevant to the new syllabus from old exam papers, and they let him so he made a dope file of compilations of questions for each of the 4 modules split up into sections.

this is the download link:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0PrtPSCteJZZmUzN2YwMjUtOWE3OS00Y2VhLTlhYTMtY2M0MDVjYWVmYTI0&hl=en

Go to the Question bank folder, then the Unit 5 folder.
Maadness.

This is defo gonna give me a myocardial infarction. Too much friggin info to process!
Would've been SO awesome if you had this a few days back.
Reply 2154
Original post by healthyandhappy

Prophase I - crossing over in a bivalent at chiasmata. maternal and paternal genetic information exchange
Metaphase I - random assortment of chromosomes
Metaphase II - random assortment of chromatids
Random chromosome mutations

also, random fertilisation - if the question doesn't specify meiosis only
(edited 12 years ago)

Crossing over in prophase I - chiasmata
Independent assortment of chromosome in Metaphase I and chromatids in metaphase II
Fertilisation
Chromosome mutations

Variation arises from meiosis, fertilization and mutation
1. Crossing over in prophase 1
2. Random assortment of chromosomes in metaphase 1
3. Random assortment of chromatids in metaphase 2
4. Random gametes are fertilized
Mutation can occur at any stage due to mutagens
Original post by SR198198
DUDES AND DUDETTES, thank me later, If anyones looking for questions i got a ****load, check it: so my mate emailed this college asking if he could use this software to take only questions that are relevant to the new syllabus from old exam papers, and they let him so he made a dope file of compilations of questions for each of the 4 modules split up into sections.

this is the download link:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0PrtPSCteJZZmUzN2YwMjUtOWE3OS00Y2VhLTlhYTMtY2M0MDVjYWVmYTI0&hl=en

Go to the Question bank folder, then the Unit 5 folder.
Maadness.

I would prefer OCR questions but some people might benefit on it. Especially as there scarcely questions for conservation!
how does greater environmental resistance cause a population to shrink? thought it would grow...
Reply 2159
Original post by Jhyzone
reverse transcriptase is used to convert RNA to DNA. :smile:

DNA to RNA I think you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending