The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jhyzone
Please I want the paper to be half in Biotech/ 1/4 Cellular control and 1/4 Responding to evironment :biggrin:

That was in Jan11 :tongue: They're more likely to put Cellular Control half and Biotech 1/5 and the rest on Responding to environment - PLANTS is more likely than ANIMAL surely? With Ecosystems Populations Sustainability...but they have'nt really assessed that much at all...

Topics which candidates find difficult/challenging in Jan are put into the Jun paper...it happens in some other subjects often as well..
Original post by Luke0011
I want there to be a 100 mark question saying "Explain everything you have revised."

...and then write a one word answer.
"Nothing."
Can someone briefly go through Energy transfer in a ecosystem please?
Original post by Jhyzone
Yes they are linked. When they say BACs are then automated (Point 2 on page 167 Heinemann book.) - they really mean interrupted PCR and electrophoresis.

you mean point 3?? so what actually happens? the fragments are separated using electrophoresis, then PCR makes them single stranded, primers are added, chain is extended using free nucleotides and if a modified one is added the rxn stops? and then a laser reads the sequence, and then (back to p.167) a computer programme compares overlapping regions?

why are people saying there are 2 ways to sequence a genome then??
Original post by healthyandhappy
you mean point 3?? so what actually happens? the fragments are separated using electrophoresis, then PCR makes them single stranded, primers are added, chain is extended using free nucleotides and if a modified one is added the rxn stops? and then a laser reads the sequence, and then (back to p.167) a computer programme compares overlapping regions?

why are people saying there are 2 ways to sequence a genome then??

they're just probably confused or hasn't read the book properly.
And yeah it was 3 sorry it was a typo :biggrin:
Original post by katie93
sleep! its an afternoon exam, no sleep = ridiculously tired in the exam, leading to not doing your best :smile:

Original post by Crazydavy
Always get a good nights sleep.

Original post by -Jaz-
Sleep :smile: It's a veeeery long exam, you dont want to fall asleep halfway through! :tongue:

Haha ok :tongue: I know you should always sleep before exams but I just feel like I don't know anything! :redface:
Reply 2206
When it comes to learning the gross structure of the brain do we need to know where the exact location of association, sensory and motor areas are on the cerebrum
Original post by Jhyzone
they're just probably confused or hasn't read the book properly.
And yeah it was 3 sorry it was a typo :biggrin:

ok i love you, so if a q says 'describe how to sequence the genome of an organism', would you write everything, like electrophoresis in detail, and PCR and modified nucleotides, or could u write the summary on page 167?
Reply 2208
Original post by Boompw
When it comes to learning the gross structure of the brain do we need to know where the exact location of association, sensory and motor areas are on the cerebrum

nope

at least i hope not!!
Original post by CoventryCity
Can someone briefly go through Energy transfer in a ecosystem please?

Just typed this out: these are all the marking points

Explain how energy is transferred through food chains and food webs in an ecosystem, referring to the efficiency of this transfer (9)
Sunlight = first energy source
Producers convert light to chemical energy
In photosynthesis
Use energy in respiration
Not all energy passed to primary consumer
Energy used in growth is passed on
Primary consumer eats producer
Secondary consumer eats primary consumer
Some material egested - not transferred
Some material not edible - not transferred
Energy lost in movement finding food/prey
NPP = GPP - R
Some energy lost to decomposers
Reply 2210
ok i love you, so if a q says 'describe how to sequence the genome of an organism', would you write everything, like electrophoresis in detail, and PCR and modified nucleotides, or could u write the summary on page 167?

i love how you've casually slipped in the 'i love you' :P
that question would just about kill me :frown:

Yes! It's all good :biggrin:
Original post by Guinea Pig Lover

Explain how energy is transferred through food chains and food webs in an ecosystem, referring to the efficiency of this transfer (9)
In photosynthesis
NPP = GPP - R

Thanks a lot mate :biggrin:
Original post by katie93
nope

at least i hope not!!

Original post by Boompw

YES actually, they can show us a front or back of the brain and label it :biggrin:
YUM! I did psychology anyway so I should know. THat's why I love few chapters from module 4 esp if a question on how the nervous system and endocrine system response to stress, I would nail it!!
Reply 2214
Original post by Waqar Y
Crossing over in prophase 1 would give different allele combinations e.g could have a bit of chrosome 2 swapped with another bit of chromosome 2.

Random assortment of bivalents/chrosomosomes during metaphase 1

Random assortment of chromatids during metaphase 1

Fertilization is random too.

Even interphase, DNA replication - can go wrong and produce variation > but it's a bit too much i think

thankyou!
Original post by Guinea Pig Lover

In photosynthesis
NPP = GPP - R

Is this from the old spec past papers? I might learn this as I have a a gut feeling it will come up.
Reply 2216
Original post by gemmurdoch

Original post by gemmurdoch
Converts Mrna to Cdna actually. It is Cdna because it does not include the introns so it is not exactly the same. introns are the non-coding dna.

What is cDNA?

:frown:
Original post by M_I
What is cDNA?

:frown:

complementary DNA.
Reply 2218
Original post by DrDr
Do you have these, but for everything? :P

Yeah sure heres the link I uploaded them earlier but got buried in here so help yourself

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=73ALBJ4C

be sure to have taken the one i attached there not in the pack sadly I forgot to put them in
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Yeah, good point. I mostly use the CGP book, it's easier to understand and the textbook can be a bit confusing, especially the biotechnology section which they've put in a bit of a weird order I think.

P.S. Who needs UCL, come to Queen Mary! :tongue:

Lool the way things are going I'm probably going to Queen mary, I haven't even looked at chem and my exam is on Wednesday giving me one and a half days to prepare :s-smilie: not to mention C3 the day after chem which I'm also unprepared for... I just hope Queen mary will be lenient with the entrance requirements because even getting BBB is going to be a struggle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending