The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4(6BIO4) 13/06/11 - OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?

Hope so, thanks and same to you :smile:

Cheers :smile:

Do you reckon they could also ask stuff from unit 1?

They could. Maybe the phospholipid bilayer/methods of transport between cells/thrombosis. They're the only things I think relate to unit 4 in the slightest. Anything else would be cruel, if there are a lot of questions on that students will complain.
Original post by mooniibuggy
I have no idea.

The spec is pretty vague and it just says:

Non-specific responses of the body to infection
12 Describe the non-specific responses of the body to infection, including inflammation, lysozyme action, interferon, and phagocytosis.

The specific immune response
13 Explain the roles of antigens and antibodies in the body’s immune response including the involvement of plasma cells, macrophages and antigen-presenting cells.

14 Distinguish between the roles of B cells (including B memory and B effector cells) and T cells (T helper, T killer and T memory cells) in the body’s immune response.

In jan 10 they talked about CD4 receptors and HIV. So you never know, just learn everything from the book.
Original post by jam277

Original post by jam277
In jan 10 they talked about CD4 receptors and HIV. So you never know, just learn everything from the book.

what I don't understand you see how b-cells and macrophages can actually engulf pathogens, so what's the point of producing antibodies just kill them while they are inside the macrophage?
Reply 403
http://vle.havant.ac.uk/Biology_web/exam_papers.htm

hey evry1 this website is really good it also has all the past papers up to Jan 2011
good luck for tomorro! :smile::smile:
Original post by Schoolio93
thank you so much!! But isn't the info too simple? What about MHC APC complexes, C4 receptors ???

I don't even think you have to have an understanding of how MHC Type I and MHC Type II works. As a matter of fact, I haven't even read in my textbook that you have to understand how the cell actually produces the MHCs (though I know how they do it). I'm surprised by how vague it is.
what I don't understand you see how b-cells and macrophages can actually engulf pathogens, so what's the point of producing antibodies just kill them while they are inside the macrophage?

Because antibodies only HELP clear an infection, the pathogens are still phagocytosed in the end. E.g. each antibody has two binding sites, so two pathogens can bind to the antibody at the same time - the pathogens become clumped together. Phagocytes e.g. macrophages then bind to the antibodies and phagocytose the pathogens at once.

OR

e.g. antibodies can bind to toxins produced by pathogens, this prevents the toxins from affecting human cells, so the toxins are neturalised, the toxin-antibody complexes are then also phagocytosed.

Hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Antibodies help clump microbes together making it easier for the macrophages to engulf and destroy them. They also neutralise toxins bacteria produce among other things.

Original post by jam277

They mentioned CD4 in the question and the MS didn't require you to mention CD4. ''Receptors'' would have got you the mark too.
Original post by jam277

Yeah I'm definitely doing that! sooo glad this exam's in the afternoon :smile:
Original post by Phenylethylamine_

Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Because antibodies only HELP clear an infection, the pathogens are still phagocytosed in the end. E.g. each antibody has two binding sites, so two pathogens can bind to the antibody at the same time - the pathogens become clumped together. Phagocytes e.g. macrophages then bind to the antibodies and phagocytose the pathogens at once.

OR

e.g. antibodies can bind to toxins produced by pathogens, this prevents the toxins from affecting human cells, so the toxins are neturalised, the toxin-antibody complexes are then also phagocytosed.

Hope that helps! :smile:

thanks I understand it now!!
Reply 409
Has anyone put on revision notes? I can't find any. This exam is going to be a nightmare, along with Core 3!
Original post by HELPME-ology
are the only past papers available for this unit
jan 10
june 10
jan 11
???

are there no 09 papers?

not that i know of?!!

cos its a new spec :-/
Original post by darkiee
I hope there is less immunity

actually yehh i'll agree having gone and revised a little
im relii confused over the immunity stuff..
:confused:
Original post by lily92

Original post by lily92
Has anyone put on revision notes? I can't find any. This exam is going to be a nightmare, along with Core 3!

same here, I can really cope with three hours of exams in one day!!! And then I have got a 2 hour exam on wed and a 1:30 hour exam on thursday. Why are they so narrowly spread -> that reminds me of wide spectrum antibiotic and narrow spectrum antibiotic lol.
heyy everyone

jus done a paper and skimmed thru the stuff i can do frm memory...
do you think its best to do moreeee revision to memorise things and then be able to do papers

orrr

just do what you can and then use the mark scheme to knw wha the answers are and learn thatt?!!!

please reply/help!!!
Reply 414
What are selection pressures? Are they abiotic/biotic factors that affect reproduction???
Original post by HELPME-ology
heyy everyone

jus done a paper and skimmed thru the stuff i can do frm memory...
do you think its best to do moreeee revision to memorise things and then be able to do papers

orrr

just do what you can and then use the mark scheme to knw wha the answers are and learn thatt?!!!

please reply/help!!!

ideally both, but if I had only time to do one, IMO do more revision to memorise things

Original post by imaam
What are selection pressures? Are they abiotic/biotic factors that affect reproduction???

Yep and depending on what the selection pressures are in the environment, different alleles are advantageous and disadvantageous. More advantageous alleles = more likely to survive etc etc.
Reply 416
Yep and depending on what the selection pressures are in the environment, different alleles are advantageous and disadvantageous. More advantageous alleles = more likely to survive etc etc.

Thanks again! What is the primary response and the secondary response with respect to antigens and anitbodies (relating to june 2010 mark scheme q4b ii )?
Reply 417
hey guys...wts up?
wt do u define biodiversity and genetic biodeversity?
Original post by imaam
Thanks again! What is the primary response and the secondary response with respect to antigens and anitbodies (relating to june 2010 mark scheme q4b ii )?

Haven't looked at ques, coz I'm buzy making condensed notes, but from my memory..

primary response: first time your immune system comes across a pathogen. takes time to make antibodies etc. etc. so you feel ill (have symptoms)

secondary response: when you re-encounter the same pathogen, but as you got memory cells and antibodies from before, they quickly recognise the pathogen's antigens and the body is able to conjure up a faster stronger response.
Reply 419
Haven't looked at ques, coz I'm buzy making condensed notes, but from my memory..

primary response: first time your immune system comes across a pathogen. takes time to make antibodies etc. etc. so you feel ill (have symptoms)

secondary response: when you re-encounter the same pathogen, but as you got memory cells and antibodies from before, they quickly recognise the pathogen's antigens and the body is able to conjure up a faster stronger response.

Sorry i meant "primary infection"...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending