The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

http://www.plant-hormones.info/auxins.htm Auxins explained rather well :smile:
Original post by Twinkles
Hows everybody feeling for the test?
I'm terrified :/

Especially because I keep forgetting what reproductive cloning is and what non-reproductive cloning is. Can somebody clarify please? Would really appreciate it :smile:

Reproductive: cloning a whole organism

Non-reproductive: Making embryonic stem cell.

There was a lot on this 1/2 pages back
Hows everybody feeling for the test?
I'm terrified :/

Especially because I keep forgetting what reproductive cloning is and what non-reproductive cloning is. Can somebody clarify please? Would really appreciate it :smile:

You need 40 marks to gain a pass and 60 marks to gain the A... 6 marks differentiates each grade...with that in mind it kind of eases the pressure alittle.

Look at the excellent URLs for all the topics

http://www.biozone.co.uk/links.html :biggrin:
Original post by Jhyzone
Is this from the old spec past papers? I might learn this as I have a a gut feeling it will come up.

Yup, one of the old central concepts papers
Its difficult to revise then when its just a load of boring sh*te
Original post by Limesasquatch
Its difficult to revise then when its just a load of boring sh*te

:yep:
Reply 2247
Original post by greenford
in all honest opinion do you guys think it will be difficult to get 90 UMS in this exam..

it all depends on how good your memory is, the grade boundaries have been extremely low (60 & 65 to get an A), so in theory shouldn't be too difficult. but it really all depends on you!
Reply 2248
Original post by ChubbyRain
i thought it was a copy of the DNA?

Just to clarify for tomorrow is it when reverse transcriptase enzyme is used, find mRNA of gene you want, e.g. in b-cells of islets of langerhans for insulin, then reverse transcriptase adds complementary DNA nucleotides so get template strand then DNA polymerase to make complete cDNA???

:/ not sure if thats completely right

just got my book and thats right, free DNA nucleotides are then added to the ends of the cDNA to make complementary sticky ends to plasmid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joestevens2092
Reproductive: cloning a whole organism

Non-reproductive: Making embryonic stem cell.

There was a lot on this 1/2 pages back

Thank you. I tried reading some pages back but i's making me feel like i know nothing! lol

Just one Q though; does that mean Vegetative propagation (artificial and natural), Splitting embryos and nuclear transfer are all reproductive cloning? So all we need to know for non-reproductive cloning is that cloned cells can be used to generate new cells/tissues?
Original post by greenford
in all honest opinion do you guys think it will be difficult to get 90 UMS in this exam..

it is about half of the RAW marks...which won't be that difficult if you have a good knowledge of the specification! :smile: my teacher who is also head of biology and has a PhD in plants :P one word of advice is: keep it simple, ie bullet points...the number of marks is a good indication of how much to write, not the number of lines. 3 mark question, only first 3 points will be marked even if you list 5, and 4th 5th are correct, only the first 3 points get marked...
I'm just sooooooo bored!!!!! I read it, think I've remembered it, then forget it all again...
Original post by scubaferret
I'm just sooooooo bored!!!!! I read it, think I've remembered it, then forget it all again...

make your revision more fun and interactive with these websites

http://www.biozone.co.uk/links.html

you're less likely to fall asleep and actually enjoy the topics :biggrin:
Original post by intellectual1
it is about half of the RAW marks...which won't be that difficult if you have a good knowledge of the specification! :smile: my teacher who is also head of biology and has a PhD in plants :P one word of advice is: keep it simple, ie bullet points...the number of marks is a good indication of how much to write, not the number of lines. 3 mark question, only first 3 points will be marked even if you list 5, and 4th 5th are correct, only the first 3 points get marked...

What if in those first 3 points there was one that was incorrect, but 4th/5th were correct? Would they still award to 3 marks?
make your revision more fun and interactive with these websites

http://www.biozone.co.uk/links.html

you're less likely to fall asleep and actually enjoy the topics :biggrin:

LOL, you're really promoting this site :P
can someone please describe cAMP and protein activation....
Outline the events that occur when an area of cell surface membrane undergoes an action potential.
(Potential synoptic question??)
Reply 2258

i thought it depends on the question, like if the question says specifically name 3 things, or outline 3 factors, or something like that, then they only mark the first three marks. otherwise i thought they mark all the points made, no matter which order?
What if in those first 3 points there was one that was incorrect, but 4th/5th were correct? Would they still award to 3 marks?

Nope, they just mark the first 3 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending