The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scu
does anyone have any ideas on how to link the core periphery theory with the Maghreb? and also does anybody have any examples of aid in the area?

For me Core- periphery is a key idea linked in with both the trade unions and tourism (Plan Azur) which was referred to in the pre-release. Basically, Morocco's tourism plan is based on European Cooperate businesses. Therefore this could mean that the main paying jobs will be imprted by these companies from their home nation. What this means is that it could lead to leakages in that all the profits is shiped back to the home. In-fact it is estimated that such tourism will only allow a small % within the resident country which in this case is Morocco. There for this could lead to a richer core and poorer periphery. Alternatively you could link it in with the dependency theory not just to the Maghreb but to the rest of the world. Maghreb countries have a young population with many of their enterprising males and females migrating to Europe this causes a brain drain as well as leaving an exposed low producing wrok force. So, if tourism schemes develop markets within the Maghreb, the larger firms from EU markets will take dominence and merge with the Maghreb ones. Leading to a dependency on the EU. The affect this will have on the global scale is that the European markets will continue to grow and EU TNC's will gain dominance over the world with a strong hold in Africa.

This may also be beneficial to the Maghreb economies however not on the long term.

Kind of like Tesco stores affected local businesses in the UK
Reply 241
What government support/finances have the countries had and examples of aid?
Reply 242
to Scu

The Maghreb was a periphery region to France, Italy or Spain, core regions when the countries were colonies. They supplied raw materials and foods to them and man power. In essence this may be said to be countinuing as people Marrocco and Algeria still go to live in France due to the better opportunites there, so still providing cheap labour to a core region. A brain drain is going on here as well, doctors etc are paid far more in France .

Thats off the top of my head, I'm sure someone can explain better
Reply 243
Im doing notes and research of the pre-release (mostly from news and websites) if anyone want them, let me know! :smile: Its not amazing.. but its something :biggrin:
Original post by merrylora
Im doing notes and research of the pre-release (mostly from news and websites) if anyone want them, let me know! :smile: Its not amazing.. but its something :biggrin:

Would be nice :wink:
Reply 245
Would be amazing! :biggrin:
Does anybody know where to get past papers and ms of the previous years which are on secure download on the edexcel website?
Original post by englica
Trade liberalisation, or free trade, enables the Maghreb to trade with more countries, thus widening their market. It should help expand the economies and make them stronger. By joining certain trade blocks and organisations the Maghreb is able to do this. Eg. Morocco wants to join the EU.

Of course, there are also downsides to trade liberalisation. Many of the larger countries will have TNCs that the smaller Maghreb countries simply cannot compete with.

Hope this helps!

So basically this can be seen as a top-down approach? :confused:

If I talk about trade liberalisation can I refer to it as a negative to Moroccos tourism as the investors are European firms...link it to leakages?

Thanks for the help.:smile:

#would love to...thanks a lot!
Original post by mischka_tay
Does anybody know where to get past papers and ms of the previous years which are on secure download on the edexcel website?

Unfortunately not...how stupid of them...whats the worse someone could do....answer them???
Reply 250
Original post by TheRockMaster
So basically this can be seen as a top-down approach? :confused:

If I talk about trade liberalisation can I refer to it as a negative to Moroccos tourism as the investors are European firms...link it to leakages?

Thanks for the help.:smile:

Yeh, I think it could be called top down.

And it is unlikely to be wholly negative to Morocco because it should at least benefit the local economy a little. Also, it depends if developments are all inclusive or not. all inclusive resorts will tend to be much worse for the economy than ones which require visitors to go and spend money on the local economy
Reply 251
Original post by Jobi
I'm sorry but can anyone explain to me the lay out of the exam, I have no idea.

And whats this about picking two themes, you mean i can just learn 2 themes?!?!

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance

It is in two sections

Section A- you have a choice of 5 questions (water conflicts, superpowers, biodiversity, energy and technological fix)
You have to choose two of these to answer.
And each of these questions is also separated into two

So basically, you don't have to learn every topic as you'll only be answering questions on two. But it may be best to learn 3 topics just in case one of the questions isn't nice.

Section B- This is the synoptic paper
It will be separated into 3 questions worth 40 marks
Reply 252
Here it goes guys.. Everything is taken from different websites. Its missing the environment part (doing it now) :smile:

Add some important info (which im sure i missed) if you want and let me know what you think...
Reply 253
Original post by CelineG
Anyone fancy doing a quick planning burst of potential questions?

Explain why there are limitations to the economic growth of the Maghreb region (12 marks)
Assess the contribution that tourism could make the economic and social development of Morocco (14 marks)
Identify the environmental barriers to development. Explain how these will affect the economic and social development of the region. (14 marks)

And is anyone doing Biodiversity or Water conflicts for the Section A wanna share casestudies? or topics that we have to know casestudies on?

I think that your questions will probably come up

Other ones I have are:

1. How could the Maghreb's association with terrorism effect development?
2. Waht impact cold the Arab Maghreb Union have on the development of the area?
3. What environmental factors could effect growth in the Maghreb?
4. To what extent can tourism help the Maghreb to develop?
5. Assess the Maghreb's current position on the global spectrum of economic development
6. Evaluate how sustainable Morocco's future will be with its tourist development plans
7. Assess the extent to which the Maghreb region is on the brink of a period of economic and social development
8. Examine the role of the different players involved in the Maghreb region
9. Assess whether tourism is a sustainable strategy for the future of the region
Here it goes guys.. Everything is taken from different websites. Its missing the environment part (doing it now) :smile:

Add some important info (which im sure i missed) if you want and let me know what you think...

Wow...this will be highly useful and can tell you worked hard! hopefully I can use it wisely!

Thanks for the help!
It's amazing how I just realised the exam is on Tuesday!!! and it has been 1 week since doing any tech or water revision! Not good!
Does anyone have any notes/ideas about the possible effects/barriers environment question?

I am having trouble on finding any additional or extended info... =s
does anyone have any tips to someone who has just started revising for this exam.. lol how should i revise for this, shall i just memorise everything in the books for the topics or just do loads of practise questions?
Original post by mischka_tay
Does anyone have any notes/ideas about the possible effects/barriers environment question?

I am having trouble on finding any additional or extended info... =s

For the Maghreb stuff?

Well I personally interpret this as being the least important as they have not mentioned it extensively in the pre-release.

However as part of the bigger picture I think the main effects which may occur upon the environment from I am guessing the Tourism?....
Basically I think you could make a link to population, water conflicts and biodiversity:

Overpopulation is affecting the coastal regions in terms of degrdation of land quality as well as water quality. This is due to the high demand of resources, which is why the coast is highly populated around the coast: high % rain fall and good source of aquifers. Over abstraction of water can lead to salt-water incursion and can increase the salinity of water within the water table. This can have extended affects as many of the water sources are fossil ones which means that they are finite (not renewable), there fore over use can be a problem in an Arid region, impacting the whole ecoregion.

Overgrazing by livestock is also a serious problem that has resulted in severe environmental degradation in many areas. The cutting of woody vegetation for fire-wood is also a problem.

Hope this helps
Original post by Jen1881
I think that your questions will probably come up

Other ones I have are:

1. How could the Maghreb's association with terrorism effect development?
2. Waht impact cold the Arab Maghreb Union have on the development of the area?
3. What environmental factors could effect growth in the Maghreb?
4. To what extent can tourism help the Maghreb to develop?
5. Assess the Maghreb's current position on the global spectrum of economic development
6. Evaluate how sustainable Morocco's future will be with its tourist development plans
7. Assess the extent to which the Maghreb region is on the brink of a period of economic and social development
8. Examine the role of the different players involved in the Maghreb region
9. Assess whether tourism is a sustainable strategy for the future of the region

Thanks....but do you think they will ask a full question on AMU? Hope not :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending