The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

What raw marks do people think I'll need for 73 UMS?
Original post by scubaferret
Nope, they just mark the first 3 :frown:

At the PhilipAllan conference for F211 and F214 last November. Examiners went through the Exam Techniques and that was a key point.

1 mark question - 1st point marked only - regardless

2 mark question - only points 1 and 2 marked, rest are ignored

10 mark question - ones which are repeated points are not marked and even then the first 10 lines are marked...

This entire new marking system can penalise some...its all about exam techniques...
Reply 2263
Original post by rebeccalouise_92
can someone please describe cAMP and protein activation....

all there is in my text book is that cAMP activates some proteins by changing their tertiary structure resulting in them being a better complementary fit to their substrate molecules, there is more about it on the other side of the course in relationship to adrenaline in the homeostasis topic
Original post by scubaferret
Nope, they just mark the first 3 :frown:

Not true. Unless it specifically asks for a number of points, you can waffle as much as you like and they'll mark the whole thing.
Reply 2266
Original post by intellectual1
At the PhilipAllan conference for F211 and F214 last November. Examiners went through the Exam Techniques and that was a key point.

1 mark question - 1st point marked only - regardless

2 mark question - only points 1 and 2 marked, rest are ignored

10 mark question - ones which are repeated points are not marked and even then the first 10 lines are marked...

This entire new marking system can penalise some...its all about exam techniques...

I love that this is the first time I've heard it, guess I've gotta think before I write instead of putting down everything
Reply 2267
can someone explain the whole of the sliding filament to me plz :biggrin:
no seriously, action potential....what the hell happens?
Reply 2269
Does anyone know how many UMS 60/100 raw marks are? Please? :smile:
Reply 2270
So pleased about the low UMS grading for F215! :awesome:
Reply 2271
Any point revising "flight or fight response" as that was the main essay question in the past paper.. jan 2011 I think?!
Reply 2272
Original post by Nadooo
Does anyone know how many UMS 60/100 raw marks are? Please? :smile:

120 UMS on Jan 2011
Bit less on June 2010

:biggrin:
Reply 2273
Original post by ekta9
Any point revising "flight or fight response" as that was the main essay question in the past paper.. jan 2011 I think?!

Nope, haha! :wink:

Could still come up though! Imagine if it did!? Would catch out so many people! :ninja:
Original post by Snurse
Just to clarify for tomorrow is it when reverse transcriptase enzyme is used, find mRNA of gene you want, e.g. in b-cells of islets of langerhans for insulin, then reverse transcriptase adds complementary DNA nucleotides so get template strand then DNA polymerase to make complete cDNA???

:/ not sure if thats completely right

just got my book and thats right, free DNA nucleotides are then added to the ends of the cDNA to make complementary sticky ends to plasmid.

yeah that sounds right to me :smile: although I hope this doesnt come up tomorrow lol I think it came up in jun 2010?
Reply 2275
Original post by Tetanus
120 UMS on Jan 2011
Bit less on June 2010

How did you work it out?
Reply 2276
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5yPkxCLads

Watching that pretty much guarantees you an A
Original post by Tetanus
So pleased about the low UMS grading for F215! :awesome:

No kidding - untill i heard about that i was convinced i was in CDE territory ^^
Original post by fahimak

Original post by fahimak
can someone explain the whole of the sliding filament to me plz :biggrin:

when teh sarcoplasmic reticulum release calcium this binds to the troponin which changes shape moving the tropomyosin away from the to actin binding sites.

this allows a myosin head group to attach to the thin filament and this forms a cross bridge

the head group bends causing the thin filament to be pulled along and overlap the thick filament. adp n pi are released

the cross bridge breaks as new atp attaches to teh myosin head

head groups move back an attach as a result

movement of actin filaments = muscle contraction. the contraction cycle continues if atp is available and calcium level in teh sarcoplasm is high.. atp is only available for 2 secs in the muscle other sources are aerobic respiration which needs 02, anaerobic resp and phosphate creatine
Reply 2279
Original post by Nadooo

How did you work it out?

UMS Grading for January 2011 OCR Modules: BOOM!

UMS Grading for June 2010 OCR Modules: Reload... BOOM!

Scroll down to find the Biology Modules, couple of pages down I think..

:ahee::ahee::ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending