The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I tend to get nasty auditory and tactile hallucinations in church and end up freaking out and going a bit nuts. The worst of my psychosis happened whilst stage managing some Passion plays in a chapel. I don't even remember a lot of it but I know it was quite terrifying. So bad things tend to happen to me in churches. I hear voices (psychotic, religious and non-psychotic secular) and there's lots of evil Satanic voices and a Catholic guilt voice, who's really horrible. God sometimes seems to speak to me as does the Blessed Virgin Mary but they're mostly silent :frown:

As you can imagine, trying to find a priest who I can say that all to and who will be helpful about it is proving quite a challenge :frown:

That's fairly difficult :frown: What causes it?
Reply 2021
Original post by thebirdsofparadise
You should turn to Islam. I can PM you a few useful sites if you want.

Go back to your own society forum. This is a society meant for members of that society to chat amongst themselves, not for people to intrude without being asked and make ridiculous statements such as yours.

Now push off before I report you for harassment!! :mad:
Original post by micky022
That's fairly difficult :frown: What causes it?

We're not quite sure how I've ended up like this. Most likely the result of abuse. I don't remember being sexually abused as a child or anything but I was psychologically/emotionally abused during my undergrad, so it could be a reaction to that :frown:

The problem is that I'm quite self-aware, which psychotic people mostly aren't. So it's very confusing for my care team. They've asked me lots of questions about Catholicism and my beliefs, as it's clear that's having an influence on stuff that happens to me as well as my recovery. Apparently people who have are part of a faith group are more likely to recover :smile:
We're not quite sure how I've ended up like this. Most likely the result of abuse. I don't remember being sexually abused as a child or anything but I was psychologically/emotionally abused during my undergrad, so it could be a reaction to that :frown:

The problem is that I'm quite self-aware, which psychotic people mostly aren't. So it's very confusing for my care team. They've asked me lots of questions about Catholicism and my beliefs, as it's clear that's having an influence on stuff that happens to me as well as my recovery. Apparently people who have are part of a faith group are more likely to recover :smile:

Good luck with the priest :smile: Since you have a reaction to religious buildings how will you meet him?
Good luck with the priest :smile: Since you have a reaction to religious buildings how will you meet him?

I hadn't quite worked that out yet. It's not everytime I go into a church and if necessary I could ask him whether we could move into the church hall or something :smile:
I hadn't quite worked that out yet. It's not everytime I go into a church and if necessary I could ask him whether we could move into the church hall or something :smile:

A flaw in the plan :tongue:
A flaw in the plan :tongue:

That's quite a big flaw actually. I forgot to mention the fear of churches in my email. Maybe if she emails back with a time to see the priest, I can mention that it would be better not to meet in the church itself :frown:
That's quite a big flaw actually. I forgot to mention the fear of churches in my email. Maybe if she emails back with a time to see the priest, I can mention that it would be better not to meet in the church itself :frown:

He should be alright with it, I don't think the Church limits them to church grounds :tongue:
He should be alright with it, I don't think the Church limits them to church grounds :tongue:

True. It's just opposite my old school and a pub and near a park, so I'm sure he can be flexible :biggrin:
True. It's just opposite my old school and a pub and near a park, so I'm sure he can be flexible :biggrin:

I never knew priests could drink until our local one got on the Guinness at a family do...
I never knew priests could drink until our local one got on the Guinness at a family do...

To be fair, I don't think he'd take me to the pub even if I suggested it :biggrin:
To be fair, I don't think he'd take me to the pub even if I suggested it :biggrin:

I would, but then again I enjoy pubs far too much. Had to impose the two pints rule last week :tongue:
I would, but then again I enjoy pubs far too much. Had to impose the two pints rule last week :tongue:

I only ever have Coke, since I can't drink due to damn medication.

You've just reminded me, haven't taken my medication...
I only ever have Coke, since I can't drink due to damn medication.

You've just reminded me, haven't taken my medication...

I only drink water, tea, fruit juice or beer. Oh, and milk too. I used to drink lots of fizzy drinks but now I'm on a fitness programme for the Army and I can't bear to look at them now.
I only drink water, tea, fruit juice or beer. Oh, and milk too. I used to drink lots of fizzy drinks but now I'm on a fitness programme for the Army and I can't bear to look at them now.

Oooh, the army! Exciting/scary :eek:

Thanks for chatting btw, it's lifting my mood a bit. Been in a very dark place today :frown:
Oooh, the army! Exciting/scary :eek:

Thanks for chatting btw, it's lifting my mood a bit. Been in a very dark place today :frown:

I'm going for the bursary for uni hopefully, but my parents are against it. My dad would rather me come out of Oxford with my law degree (A2 permitting) and go straight into being a barrister, but I want to do something a little different and then go be a barrister... I can't really exercise too much at the moment due to a dodgy right knee, so I'm keeping to non-knee exercises :frown:

Aha, you're welcome :smile:
Original post by De Lubac
Honestly, If you get 3 As, then Oxford is worth a shot! (I had **** GCSEs, A*AAD at A-Level, but I only wanted to do Theology, as I love it, and I somehow snuck in). Also, St Bennet's College Oxford is a Catholic (Benedictine) College. If I had seen more about it before I applied, I would have applied their (I had an interview their and it was great! You can do the Monastic things and say the office with them if you want to, but the college is all boys).

Also have you looked at places like Leuven (http://www.kuleuven.be/english/, they offer Theology for Undergraduates in English) or Notre Dame, another top Catholic Uni in America??

However, are you applying for History?

The most I'll get is AACDab. So not brilliant grades in all honesty. Thanks for all the info though, lots to think about.
I don't like my local chuch; it's a 70's wood-panelling affair. Also, hi. I joined the society a while ago but then I fell out of my Catholic phase, again. So, er, yes, hi :smile:

:hi:

Hi, welcome on board (again). I'm coming across to Rome atm. Bit of a trad Catholic, loving it :h:
I'm going for the bursary for uni hopefully, but my parents are against it. My dad would rather me come out of Oxford with my law degree (A2 permitting) and go straight into being a barrister, but I want to do something a little different and then go be a barrister... I can't really exercise too much at the moment due to a dodgy right knee, so I'm keeping to non-knee exercises :frown:

Aha, you're welcome :smile:

Are you not getting a mammoth Oxford bursary? They gave me £10K :yes:
Hi, and thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending