The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2320
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Hey, yeah I'm glad it's in the afternoon! How's your revision going?
I'm doing zoology in uni too! :redface:
I was going to put Reading as my insurance too but the offer was higher than my firm ahah :tongue:

Ooh where is your firm/insurance? And what is your offer?

Yeah I think I just need BCC, and so a C in this exam to get a B overall in Biology :s-smilie:
I'm so nervous about these exams, can't wait for them to end.

My brain is refusing to take in any more info.
I've gotten to a stage where if I constantly force information into my brain it just replaces the others that I've just looked over, especially when I panic and think about how much time I've got left. I think I'm just going to take my time and revise little bits at a time. Can't do much about it now lol.
I have a question:

Can someone please help me with homeobox genes and apoptosis. I am clueless as I don't understand these at all so I hope somebody could help me. Thank you! :wink:
Reply 2323
I wish I had someone here from my class to quiz me on things. My mum is useless.
Reply 2324
Erm can someone tell me if there is any differences between meiosis 1 and 2? :confused:
Reply 2325
Original post by ekta9
"Compare and contrast synapses and neuromuscular junctions" - This could be a synoptic question. What would the differences be?!

Synapse
Neurotransimtter : Noradrenaline/Various
Smooth presynaptic membrane
More postsynaptic receptors
Action potential is not always amplified. I.e. if the stimulus is weak it will not excite the postsynaptic membrane to the threshold level

Neuromucular Junction
Neurotransmitter : Acetylcholine
Has clefts on the presynaptic membrane
Fewer postsynaptic receptors
The muscle will always contract
Original post by tea kid
Ooh where is your firm/insurance? And what is your offer?

Yeah I think I just need BCC, and so a C in this exam to get a B overall in Biology :s-smilie:
I'm so nervous about these exams, can't wait for them to end.

My brain is refusing to take in any more info.

I've firmed Queen Mary and my offer's 300 points with a C in Biology, but I do welsh bac which counts for 120 so really it's like BC or CDE :biggrin:
I don't have an insurance, which is kind of scary! Because half my other offers were higher and the other half I just didn't want to go to :tongue:

Ahh BCC's good :smile: I'm sure you'll get it! I know, same. Especially with this module, there's just so much content. I'm resitting f214 aswell which I'm not looking forward too :redface:
Reply 2327
Original post by tea kid
I wish I had someone here from my class to quiz me on things. My mum is useless.

I keep getting asked what "Homobox" genes do by mine? :curious:

It was funny the first time. Habituation has led to me not finding it remotely funny.:indiff:
Was Browsing through and seeing what everyone is up for tomorrow in the exam.

Until I saw a whole list of posts on the Menstrual Cycle, I screamed like a Little Girl...

Until I realised it was the AQA thread.... THANK GOD FOR THAT!
Original post by dcpower
Erm can someone tell me if there is any differences between meiosis 1 and 2? :confused:

Meiosis II has half the number of chromosomes because it's the haploid daughter cells from Meiosis I that are dividing, rather than a diploid cell.
In Anaphase II, the sister chromatids are separated so each new daughter cell inherits one chromatid from each chromosome.
Reply 2330
Original post by heartskippedabeat
I've firmed Queen Mary and my offer's 300 points with a C in Biology, but I do welsh bac which counts for 120 so really it's like BC or CDE :biggrin:
I don't have an insurance, which is kind of scary! Because half my other offers were higher and the other half I just didn't want to go to :tongue:

Ahh BCC's good :smile: I'm sure you'll get it! I know, same. Especially with this module, there's just so much content. I'm resitting f214 aswell which I'm not looking forward too :redface:

Oh no I need to get ABB for Leeds :ashamed2: I don't really want to go to Reading now I've been visiting/thinking about Leeds so much!
So much stress occuring right now!

Original post by Tetanus
I keep getting asked what "Homobox" genes do by mine? :curious:

It was funny the first time. Habituation has led to me not finding it remotely funny.:indiff:

Biology jokes :awesome:

Original post by Faisal-Fm

Until I saw a whole list of posts on the Menstrual Cycle, I screamed like a Little Girl...

You just panicked me a lot for a moment...
Reply 2331
Original post by Faisal-Fm

you were right to scream, the menstrual cycle really is that scary!!
Reply 2332
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whoo fellow Leeds applicant!
Original post by Srikmeister
I have a question:

Can someone please help me with homeobox genes and apoptosis. I am clueless as I don't understand these at all so I hope somebody could help me. Thank you! :wink:

Apoptosis is programmed cell death which causes separation of the digits (fingers/toes etc)
1. Enzymes break down the cell cytoskeleton
2. The cytoplasm becomes dense and the organelles become closely packed
3. The cell surface membrane changes and blebs form
4. The chromatin condenses, nuclear envelope breaks down and DNA is broken into fragments
5. The cell is broken down and packaged into vesicles, then the debris is removed

Too much apoptosis leads to loss and degeneration of cells, but not enough can lead to the formation of tumours.

Hope that helped a bit :smile:
Reply 2334
Original post by ChubbyRain

Original post by ChubbyRain
i thought it was a copy of the DNA?

Googled it....wikipedia says its complementary DNA which is basically a copy, well a complementary copy, right?
Original post by tea kid
Oh no I need to get ABB for Leeds :ashamed2: I don't really want to go to Reading now I've been visiting/thinking about Leeds so much!
So much stress occuring right now!

Ohh, yeah I was thinking that was a low offer for Leeds but you meant Reading right :colondollar: Yeah I know what you mean, I'd hate to anywhere except my firm now :tongue:
Same, nothing will stick in my head :frown:
What's the difference between the power stroke and muscle contraction/what are they?
Please please please could someone explain? :frown:
Reply 2337
Original post by Jess6893
What's the difference between the power stroke and muscle contraction/what are they?
Please please please could someone explain? :frown:

The power stroke allows for the muscle contraction. It slides thin filament along thick so shortening the I band and H-zones.

Power stroke-myosin head bends causing thin filament to be pulled along and overlap with the thick filament. ADP and Pi released.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jess6893
Apoptosis is programmed cell death which causes separation of the digits (fingers/toes etc)
1. Enzymes break down the cell cytoskeleton
2. The cytoplasm becomes dense and the organelles become closely packed
3. The cell surface membrane changes and blebs form
4. The chromatin condenses, nuclear envelope breaks down and DNA is broken into fragments
5. The cell is broken down and packaged into vesicles, then the debris is removed

Too much apoptosis leads to loss and degeneration of cells, but not enough can lead to the formation of tumours.

Hope that helped a bit :smile:

Muchos gracias senorita :biggrin: I have not understood this until today....and i have you to thank. Good luck tomorrow!
Reply 2339
Original post by tea kid
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whoo fellow Leeds applicant!

:awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending