The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by tehsponge
Fffuuu- I hate meiosis. Quick recap of it for me please? :tongue:

I literally completely forgot about it, I don't think I got a question about it on Unit 2 :ahee:
Reply 621
Fffuuu- I hate meiosis. Quick recap of it for me please? :tongue:

Eeeeerm what i can remember?

diploid number of gametes (so double of mitosis)
random fusion of gametes increases genetic diversity
also independent segregation and crossing over

that's all i can remember :frown:
Reply 622
Original post by *Rainbow*
Does anyone get question 2c in Jan 2011? The hardy weinberg? Dont really get why they got 48% I got like 27% :s-smilie:

I'm still confuzzled as to how this answer is worked out?
Could someone show the working out how to get the answer ... i'm using p2 + 2pq +r2 to work it out.
Reply 623
Original post by sakha1
Could someone show the working out how to get the answer ... i'm using p2 + 2pq +r2 to work it out.

Finally worked this out..

you have to square the p and then do 1-q try that and let me know if u get it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 624
16% 0.16
square root of 0.16=0.4=q

p+q=1
if q=0.4 then p=0.6

2pq=% that is hetorzygous

so you do 2x0.6x0.4=0.48
Original post by sakha1

The question tells us that 16% of the population is Rhesus negative, therefore q2=0.16q^2 = 0.16. (Rhesus negative is recessive, therefore to be rhesus negative you must be homozygous recessive).

If you square root 0.16 you get the value of q, i.e. 0.4
1-0.4 = p as p+q=1
So p=0.6

The % of the population that is hetrozygous is 2pq = 2x0.6x0.4=0.48

Therefore 48%
Original post by sakha1

Weird, I just did that question.
Here's my working out:
16% = rr
0.16 = rr
so q^2=0.16
so q=0.4

p+q=1.0
so p=0.6

Then I just put those values into p^2+2pq+q^2=1.0 and got 0.48
Reply 627
Finally worked this out..

you have to square the p and then do 1-p try that and let me know if u get it

I still don't get it:
This is what i've got so far and i know it's wrong ...
16% = r2
r=0.4
p2 +2pq + r2 = 1
2pq=0.2=1
2pq=0.8
pq=0.4

I don't even know what i'm doing now :frown: could you show me the full working out please?
Reply 628
Weird, I just did that question.
Here's my working out:
16% = rr
0.16 = rr
so q^2=0.16
so q=0.4

p+q=1.0
so p=0.6

Then I just put those values into p^2+2pq+q^2=1.0 and got 0.48

Oh, that makes sense ... thank you. Why didn't i just plug the values in :colondollar:
Reply 629
Thanks all :smile:
Reply 630
Original post by sakha1
I still don't get it:
This is what i've got so far and i know it's wrong ...
16% = r2
r=0.4
p2 +2pq + r2 = 1
2pq=0.2=1
2pq=0.8
pq=0.4

I don't even know what i'm doing now :frown: could you show me the full working out please?

There's lots of people above me who've done a far better job of explaining than me! hehe :colondollar:
Reply 631
For the Hardy Weinberg, if it gives you a % you have to square root but otherwise you don't right ? What if they give you frequency?
Original post by NRican
For the Hardy Weinberg, if it gives you a % you have to square root but otherwise you don't right ? What if they give you frequency?

Well that depends if they gave you the frequency of the allele or the frequency of a genotype. If it was just the frequency of an allele then there would be no need to square root it.
Reply 633
Well that depends if they gave you the frequency of the allele or the frequency of a genotype. If it was just the frequency of an allele then there would be no need to square root it.

Do you have any examples of this :s
Reply 634
Can someone please help me with this?

Question 1cii Jan 11

How do you get to the answer?
Do you have any examples of this :s

Well say you had a question that went something along the lines of:

In London there are short haired mice and long haired mice. The allele for short haired mice H is dominant to the allele for long haired mice, h.

If the question went on to say: the allele frequency of long hair is 0.4 then you know that q=0.4.

However if it said something like, the frequency of long haired mice in the population is 0.4 then q2=0.4q^2=0.4. Because you're given the genotype frequency and not the allele frequency, you must square root it.
Original post by Tericon
Can someone please help me with this?

Question 1cii Jan 11

How do you get to the answer?

Total population in 2007 is 107,000,000

Death rate is 5 per 1000 people. Divide the total population by 1000 and multiply by 5 to work out how many people died in 2007. ie. 535000

Birth rate is 20/1000. Divide total population by 1000 and multiply by 20 to work out how many births there were in 2007. ie. 2140000

Population of 2008 is: Total population in 2007 + total number of births in 2007 - total number of deaths.
Reply 637
Original post by Jing_jing
Total population in 2007 is 107,000,000

Death rate is 5 per 1000 people. Divide the total population by 1000 and multiply by 5 to work out how many people died in 2007. ie. 535000

Birth rate is 20/1000. Divide total population by 1000 and multiply by 20 to work out how many births there were in 2007. ie. 2140000

Population of 2008 is: Total population in 2007 + total number of births in 2007 - total number of deaths.

Thank you :biggrin:
Lets do some questions people!

What are the differences between stabilising and directional selection?
Reply 639
Original post by Jing_jing
Well say you had a question that went something along the lines of:

In London there are short haired mice and long haired mice. The allele for short haired mice H is dominant to the allele for long haired mice, h.

If the question went on to say: the allele frequency of long hair is 0.4 then you know that q=0.4.

However if it said something like, the frequency of long haired mice in the population is 0.4 then q2=0.4q^2=0.4. Because you're given the genotype frequency and not the allele frequency, you must square root it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending