The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jhyzone
How you feeling about the exam? I see you decided to go for Warwick - good choice!
What grades do you need?

Sorry late reply didn't see the quote! I just need ABB so I'm pretty sure I'll get it but I really want an A in Biology!
Original post by Srikmeister
I have a question:

Can someone please help me with homeobox genes and apoptosis. I am clueless as I don't understand these at all so I hope somebody could help me. Thank you! :wink:

Keep calm and breathe lol.

Homeotic genes are similar in plants, animals and fungi. They control the development of body plans and are expressed in specific patterns in particular sequences of development depending on when they are activated.

Homeobox genes are a short length of DNA that code for around 60 amino acids. They are found in most, if not all eukaryotes. This section binds to DNA to regulate transcription.

In animals, homeobox genes are concerned with segmentation, establishment of anterior-posterior axis and the activation of genes involving the development of body parts such as limbs.
Original post by slacker07906
Keep calm and breathe lol.

Homeotic genes are similar in plants, animals and fungi. They control the development of body plans and are expressed in specific patterns in particular sequences of development depending on when they are activated.

Homeobox genes are a short length of DNA that code for around 60 amino acids. They are found in most, if not all eukaryotes. This section binds to DNA to regulate transcription.

In animals, homeobox genes are concerned with segmentation, establishment of anterior-posterior axis and the activation of genes involving the development of body parts such as limbs.

THANKS! I have heard from a lot of people that this could come up..... so ideally, it would be a good idea to learn it before the exam.

Good luck tomorrow :smile:
this exam is making it difficult to sleep tonight ahhh module 1 should be the focus as it was'nt in jan
Original post by Srikmeister
Muchos gracias senorita :biggrin: I have not understood this until today....and i have you to thank. Good luck tomorrow!

You're more than welcome! Thankyou :smile: Good luck to you too!
what techniques have people learnt for immobilising enzymes?
What other vectors, other than bacterial plasmids, can fragments of DNA be incorporated into?
Reply 2347
Original post by aquarius00

Original post by aquarius00
what techniques have people learnt for immobilising enzymes?

MECA
Membrane seperation
Entrapment
Covalent bonding
Adsorption
heellpp..what part of brain controls somatic nervous system? i know automatic is controlled by combination of hypothalamus (sympathetic in fight or flight) and medulla oblongata!!!!
Reply 2349
Original post by Twinkles
What other vectors, other than bacterial plasmids, can fragments of DNA be incorporated into?

Viral DNA e.g. bacteriophages
Hybrid vectors with properties of both plasmid and bacteriophages
Liposomes
Original post by Twinkles

virus genomes or yeast cell chromosomes:

plasmids should have regulatory DNA sequences to ensure that inserted gene is transcribed in host cell!
Reply 2351
Someone summarise the three types of muscles with structure and function please
Reply 2352
Original post by Suren_x
Synapse
Neurotransimtter : Noradrenaline/Various
Smooth presynaptic membrane
More postsynaptic receptors
Action potential is not always amplified. I.e. if the stimulus is weak it will not excite the postsynaptic membrane to the threshold level

Neuromucular Junction
Neurotransmitter : Acetylcholine
Has clefts on the presynaptic membrane
Fewer postsynaptic receptors
The muscle will always contract

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by bambinooo
heellpp..what part of brain controls somatic nervous system? i know automatic is controlled by combination of hypothalamus (sympathetic in fight or flight) and medulla oblongata!!!!

well.. motor areas in the cerebral cortex send impulses to effectors (voluntary muscles/glands) for muscular movements. So maybe the cerebrum/cerebral cortex does?
Reply 2354
What are the chances innate and learned behaviour come up?
Reply 2355
2357 posts. wow. ive pretty much read every single one and im still not ready for this exam :frown:
Reply 2356
biology is seriously driving me up the wall.
For the brain do we need to know all the different areas in the cerebrum like the motor area, visual area, auditory area etc.
Original post by susan23
biology is seriously driving me up the wall.

Thigmotropically? :awesome:
Original post by CoventryCity
For the brain do we need to know all the different areas in the cerebrum like the motor area, visual area, auditory area etc.

I dont think so

Quick Reply

Latest