The Student Room Group

Salters Chemistry F335- June Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloemo14
I unabashedly love you and want to bear your children.

SERIOUSLY!?! I've been working with the specification, and I saw the brackets with synoptic written, but our teachers told us that anything from the two years could come up, so I assumed that was just aimed at giving us a bit more direction and shaping the teaching of each unit. This has honestly made my life. Thank you so much!

Not being rude but your teacher....... :rolleyes:
Ive learnt not to trust all what teachers say anymore after AS and its worked well........ so far

OMG I just read the start of the post... LOOOL:wink:
O yeh, when is the exam? Morning or Afternoon?
Original post by gozatron
O yeh, when is the exam? Morning or Afternoon?

afternoon
Original post by tkoki1993
afternoon

Damn, a few more hours of "I DON'T GET THIS!!!!"
Reply 124
-

Can someone help me understand this question please :smile: Its from the specimen paper, why is it like this? It makes no sense.

Question:

Answer:

Spoiler

Reply 125
Sounds like I need to get my hands on a copy of the spec!
Original post by Legit

Original post by Legit
Can someone help me understand this question please :smile: Its from the specimen paper, why is it like this? It makes no sense.

Question:

Answer:

Spoiler

I usually apply the "3 bond" principle, where the proton is only influenced be atoms, up to 3 bonds away and it works nicely in this case.
Original post by Legit

Question:

Answer:

Spoiler

a is one hydrogen environment as it has one hydrogen bonded to a carbon that is bonded to C=O on one side. On the other side it is bonded to the rest of the arene ring.
Use the same principle for b & c
it 2:2:1 as there are 4 hydrogen environments that are like a, 4 that are like b, and 2 that are like c. In its simplest form its 2:2:1
Reply 128
I usually apply the "3 bond" principle, where the proton is only influenced be atoms, up to 3 bonds away and it works nicely in this case.

Whats the 3 bond rule? Ive never heard this anywhere?

a is one hydrogen environment as it has one hydrogen bonded to a carbon that is bonded to C=O on one side. On the other side it is bonded to the rest of the arene ring.
Use the same principle for b & c
it 2:2:1 as there are 4 hydrogen environments that are like a, 4 that are like b, and 2 that are like c. In its simplest form its 2:2:1

I still don't get it :frown:
If you check the Kelkelue structure (whatever its called) you'll see theres only two different proton enviroments. How comes theres 3 here?
Original post by Legit

If you check the Kelkelue structure (whatever its called) you'll see theres only two different proton enviroments. How comes theres 3 here?

Kekule structure is wrong... plus remember, you aren't looking at one benzene ring on its own. Its attached to a ketone group as well
Original post by Legit

Original post by Legit

It's not in our textbooks/revision guides So only really a last resort thing. Basically, a proton is can be influenced by atoms up to three bonds away.

So in this case, A is an environment because it can be influenced by rest of the arene, C=O and the C-C off the benzene structure bond, B is separate because it can be influenced by rest of the arene and the C-C off the benzene structure. And C can can only be influenced by the rest of the arene.
Does anybody know the grade boundaries for the specimen paper?
Reply 132
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
Does anybody know the grade boundaries for the specimen paper?

Doesn't exist since it was never a real exam. You can compare with what some of us got on here.

What did you get out of /120 ?
Reply 133
It's not in our textbooks/revision guides So only really a last resort thing. Basically, a proton is can be influenced by atoms up to three bonds away.

So in this case, A is an environment because it can be influenced by rest of the arene, C=O and the C-C off the benzene structure bond, B is separate because it can be influenced by rest of the arene and the C-C off the benzene structure. And C can can only be influenced by the rest of the arene.

Oh wow, makes sense :biggrin: Thanks
Reply 134
Original post by Legit
Oh wow, makes sense :biggrin: Thanks

Please explain this? :frown:
Original post by Legit
Doesn't exist since it was never a real exam. You can compare with what some of us got on here.

What did you get out of /120 ?

Oh I see, 85/120

Quite nervous about this exam :s-smilie:
Reply 136
Original post by Ro27
Please explain this? :frown:

Read what Gozatron wrote just above my post :smile:

Original post by MyJunkIsYou
Oh I see, 85/120

Quite nervous about this exam :s-smilie:

Oh right, i scored 88. Im really worried about it too, btw what grade are you realistically aiming for?
Original post by Legit
Read what Gozatron wrote just above my post :smile:

Oh right, i scored 88. Im really worried about it too, btw what grade are you realistically aiming for?

Well overall i'm trying to get an A, but if i've worked it out correctly in this final exam I need 74/120 ums which I think means depending on grade boundaries I could scrape an A overall with a very high C/B in this exam. But to be honest I'll take as many marks as I can get!
Just came across something on the spec I have NO idea about

Its the uses of ionic liquids. Can someone please explain it to me please. Its come up in an exam before but you just had to define what an ionic liquid is.

thanks
Reply 139
Just came across something on the spec I have NO idea about

Its the uses of ionic liquids. Can someone please explain it to me please. Its come up in an exam before but you just had to define what an ionic liquid is.

thanks

According to Wikipedia;

'An ionic liquid is a salt in the liquid state'. :s-smilie:

Which past paper was it in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending