The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liam_G
I don't know whether to do an all–nighter or to go to sleep for a few hours and wake up early...

I'm going to fail :frown: I don't even have a good grade from last year to drag this one up.

I don't know anything! :cry2: I swear this exam is pure evil. 11 gargantuan topics, about 70 different philosophers, 3 solid hours of hand–cramping essay writing, and on top of that we have to recall knowledge from our AS units when appropriate.

I can do it,
I can do it,
I can do it,
I can do it,
I can do it,
I CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*fixed :wink:
good luck everyone! and remember, dont treat the paper as a means to an end :smile: (ETHICS HUMOUR!)
Reply 882
Original post by TheRustaman
*fixed :wink:

Thanks for the optimism, but seriously, I can't remember anything in the unit... and I'm not exaggerating :frown:

It's all a scrambled mess in my head, I feel like giving up now.
I know the ethical theories. I know business and envirnonmental ethics but how the fudge do you apple them?!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaah :frown:
I don't know how to apply business/environment. Is all nighter a good idea?!?!
i feel like just giving up and going to bed. I thought i'd just pretty much learnt miracles and realised it was only the nature,and there was another chapter on the different types.. fml ! i'm just hoping religious language and life after death are definitely up.. otherwise.. bye, bye a grade.. i just want it to be over :frown:
frankly, i do not know what to do. i understand each topic when i do it but have no long term recollection in enough detail. Hoping for religious language + religious experience and meta-ethics + sexual ethics. i could just about get by on conscience and free will but can't imagine meeting my grade expectations. so frustrating....
Original post by Liam_G
Thanks for the optimism, but seriously, I can't remember anything in the unit... and I'm not exaggerating :frown:

It's all a scrambled mess in my head, I feel like giving up now.

Don't give up. Things tend to come back to you inside your head when you're sat in front of the exam question.

I only found out at 10 o'Clock last night that this exam was infact this morning, (i thought it was on tuesday xD), so you can imagine how I was stressing out! :P
Original post by Liam_G
I don't know whether to do an all–nighter or to go to sleep for a few hours and wake up early...

I'm going to fail :frown: I don't even have a good grade from last year to drag this one up.

I don't know anything! :cry2: I swear this exam is pure evil. 11 gargantuan topics, about 70 different philosophers, 3 solid hours of hand–cramping essay writing, and on top of that we have to recall knowledge from our AS units when appropriate.

I can't do it,
I can't do it,
I can't do it,
I can't do it,
I can't do it,
I can't do it!

We're doing philosophy not prophesy! Have some optimism boy :smile: Good luck
Original post by emilylikeeee
We're doing philosophy not prophesy! Have some optimism boy :smile: Good luck

Yes, only God has foreknowledge, and even then only when it's a timelessly eternal God. Otherwise omnibenevolence is compromised, and we wouldn't want that.
Original post by appleschnapps
Yes, only God has foreknowledge, and even then only when it's a timelessly eternal God. Otherwise omnibenevolence is compromised, and we wouldn't want that.

Well not unless its the greatest good for the greatest number, or my duty, or will help me get to eudaimonia....
I've been dreading two days for months now.. the 18th August (results) and the 13th June. Looks like it's here guys! Good luck. Going to get to school early for some last minute revision, and then pray for a miracle! :redface: Deffo going to need one.

Good luck!!
Actually dreading it :frown: Feel as if I know nothing.
Good luck everyone!xxxxxxx
So, how does everyone think they've done!?

I only did Philosophy of Religion A2 as I did ethics last Jan.

In my opinion it was a gem of a question paper. I spent like 10mins writing out what i knew for each question, as i wasn't sure which one to pick, as i knew them all in about the same amount of depth.

In the end I chose:
1) Evaluate the claim that religious language is meaningless.
2) Assess the idea the the soul is distinct from the body.

*not sure if these are accurate.

I only need a low C (62/100) to get an A overall, so looks like I've left philosophy at A2 on a good note :biggrin:
Philosophy was fine, even if I babbled a bit about the soul (and omniscience, dear God YES) but ethics was a whole other kettle of fish. I went yay, sexual ethics and started writing that one, then realised partway through that extra-marital sex is really not much fun to write about, especially from a virtue ethics perspective. Fortunately I think the environmental ethics question went better.

Also, this may be an entirely idiotic question but are all the modules (AS and A2) worth the same amount? If so, I can hopefully scrape a B in these to get an A overall.
Reply 895
what were the 3rd and 4th questions for the philosophy paper? out of interest!
Reply 896
Original post by TheRustaman
So, how does everyone think they've done!?

I only did Philosophy of Religion A2 as I did ethics last Jan.

In my opinion it was a gem of a question paper. I spent like 10mins writing out what i knew for each question, as i wasn't sure which one to pick, as i knew them all in about the same amount of depth.

In the end I chose:
1) Evaluate the claim that religious language is meaningless.
2) Assess the idea the the soul is distinct from the body.

*not sure if these are accurate.

I only need a low C (62/100) to get an A overall, so looks like I've left philosophy at A2 on a good note :biggrin:

I did those two questions...

And I only need a low C to get an A over all...

...are we related? :eek:
Reply 897
Hi, I just wanted to ask if any of you know what the implications of naming a theoist wrong are? I wanted to push synoptic links in the Ethics question about evil, and raised Irenaus. But I actually wrote about Augustine, I'm really worried that this will have been a terrible mistake because I need to get an A in this subject.
Original post by simo123
what were the 3rd and 4th questions for the philosophy paper? out of interest!

3) Explain how god being omniscient is contradictory (or something like that)
4) about religious experiences (visions)

Original post by 04ghicks
I did those two questions...

And I only need a low C to get an A over all...

...are we related? :eek:

Hicks' Replica Theory is true! :eek:
Original post by Nara-star
Hi, I just wanted to ask if any of you know what the implications of naming a theoist wrong are? I wanted to push synoptic links in the Ethics question about evil, and raised Irenaus. But I actually wrote about Augustine, I'm really worried that this will have been a terrible mistake because I need to get an A in this subject.

I'm pretty sure in the OCR book it said that provided you don't mix up what the two philosophers said (in this instance, talking about Irenaeous' theodicy while using Augustine's name and then saying he believed in predestination), they understand that it happens, so I'd doubt the penalty would be too strict if it was just a one-off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending