The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bullit
My guess would be something to do with the resulting lower pH being optimal for the enzymes that break down the cell cytoskeleton. Also the protons interfering with hydrogen bonds in the cell.

Cytochrome c is released into cytoplasm, which interacts with some other protein with a long name. Then, that protein attaches to the actin cytoskeleton and breaks it down. Blebbing occurs due to loss of cytoskeleton
hey guys. what are the predicted topics people think are gonna come up tomorrow? :smile:
Original post by gradu
I've done the same as you!

Doesn't seem "too" bad in fairness. I have a solid idea of what will come up :-)

I predict these essay questions:

- How is Insulin produced..( refering to recombinant DNA etcetc )
- PCR
- MUSCLES
- Brain

I'll get a chinese before my exam :biggrin:

What do you mean by 'how is insulin produced'?
Reply 2403
Original post by slacker07906

its probably all that cDNA stuff using reversal transcriptase enzymes etc
Reply 2404

production by reverse transcriptase?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2405
Original post by slacker07906

He means how they insert the insulin gene into bacterial plasmids which are then taken up by E.coli cells and used to harvest insulin from the ones that take up the recombinant DNA plasmids.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah I thought so just wanted to double check. Hasn't that already been on?
Reply 2407
Original post by rebeccalouise_92
when teh sarcoplasmic reticulum release calcium this binds to the troponin which changes shape moving the tropomyosin away from the to actin binding sites.

this allows a myosin head group to attach to the thin filament and this forms a cross bridge

the head group bends causing the thin filament to be pulled along and overlap the thick filament. adp n pi are released

the cross bridge breaks as new atp attaches to teh myosin head

head groups move back an attach as a result

movement of actin filaments = muscle contraction. the contraction cycle continues if atp is available and calcium level in teh sarcoplasm is high.. atp is only available for 2 secs in the muscle other sources are aerobic respiration which needs 02, anaerobic resp and phosphate creatine

hey thanks :biggrin::smile::wink:
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
Sorry if it's been asked before but does anyone have the mark scheme for the Jan 2011 paper it'd be a massive help!

Here :smile:

Goodnight all.

Good luck.
Original post by yesioo
send it to me? :colone:

Sure thing! :smile:
Could you pm me your email address because I don't know how to attach word files on mail on here :frown:
i predict something on conservation and sustainability!
Original post by yesioo
send it to me? :colone:

Ignore the PM thing, i've done it on here :smile:

For anyone else that wants them too, I've *hopefully* covered everything on the spec, although some things may need a bit more detail :smile:
Good luck tomorrow!
Where did today suddenly go?
I seemed to have spent ages revising but I feel as if I know nothing :eek:
Reply 2413
all nighter anyone?

me for sure

CRAM CRAM CRAM!
Reply 2414
Someone explain the selective breeding of bread wheat please! .. Don't understand it at all! In the simpliest way possible please :biggrin:
Original post by Jess6893

For anyone else that wants them too, I've *hopefully* covered everything on the spec, although some things may need a bit more detail :smile:
Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks! I shall read this in the morning :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Signed Solution
Thanks! I shall read this in the morning :smile:

Hahaa yup, pretty much typed up from the textbook & revision guide :biggrin:
Original post by Jess6893

Good luck tomorrow!

extreme. thankyou. goodluck tomorrow :smile:
Reply 2418
wow thread is dead.
Good luck everybody! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending