The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lantana
I'm not free until the end of July :moon:

Im sure your at the same university as me so when you go on your elective you dont finish till mid august. Then two weeks off before restarting at the end of august!

End of july for most years though!
Original post by crazylemon
Which med school is it? I am curious...
You will be fine!

Birmingham!
Im scared its too big a city for my liking but the only place i could get to!
I usually dont care about starting somewhere new but im used to nice small community hospitals that like having me there and give me tea and cake. Not scarey city hospitals.
I would like a small hospital...but ours are all too far out...Charing cross is apparently a nightmare to learn at...So I have been told...but so close! (I can see it from my window...)

Are you in london? In a big city are there generally lots of students on a ward round or in a clinic? I have visions of like five students or more all following the same consultant!
When I did my 3 week firm it was meant to be 3 of us on a ward round. I never saw my consultant apart form in theatre or our tutorial/feedback sessions where he made me feel dumb. But then he was a professor so I don't know about other people...F1&2s were nice, once it was clear you weren't just going to bunk off home and were as helpful as you can expect a 2nd year to be they did as much teaching as you could expect considering how busy they are.

We did have a bloody hilarious grand round with about 20 people once, filled side rooms to the brim with people.

Three is okay i could get used to that! 20 bloody hell - can you imagen being the patient? Could you tell who was the patient? I hope the foundation doctors are nice! I think ive been spoilt in that ive always made an effort to speak to everyone on the ward and people seem to be receptive to that!

Im better at practical things and i think that gets latched onto. So if theres stuff that needs doing i get found to do it. Infact i think i was pretty much doing what a foundation doctor does but without the responsibility! Im not sure how i would get on going back to a shadow!
The only people that could see the patient were really the consultants and one of the regs. Plus me and one of the other students because we got there first. Poor patient indeed although some of them like having the attention of 3 consultants focused on just them.

you should be fine if you are useful then. The people that got ignored we those that tended to turn up whenever and expected to be taught/told exactly what to do.

Hahah no offence but you sound like a gunner :angry::angry:
Original post by Philosoraptor
Hahah no offence but you sound like a gunner :angry::angry:

Whats a gunner?
Original post by fairy spangles

Original post by fairy spangles
Whats a gunner?

i remember during O+G hell i was moaning about how stupid these sign off books to a mate and the next thing we have another student coming around showing off to us about how many speculum examinations he had done! what a moron. only at medical school eh.

most of the med student i know are a mix between the perpetually enraged, the missing and the crier. it does eventually get better though when you leave the teaching hospitals. it is a problem with too many students and irritated doctors in big london hospitals but as soon as you do medicine/surgery/A+E DGH in final year people are nice and chill so dont lose hope. it will be less of an endless form signing tick box exercise and starts to be enjoyable.
21 YO lady comes in with a 6h history of N+V no diahorrea, with dissfuse sevear abdominal pain that now seems to localise to the RIF. She is on the contraceptive pill, and does not think she is pregnant. She is showing tachy and the temperature is 38.7. Pain control is given, along with NBM and a saline drip, bloods are taken, FBC, U+E, LFT, Coag screen and G+S, she is on the emergency list for immediate laperotomy and you as the F1 are asked to accompany her down to CT. Her pain is better now and she now complains of weakness in her hands. Unfortunatly, just as you get to CT, she goes into a grand mal...the porter with you has ****ed off to call a senior, what are you going to do?
Warrior King
x

Original post by Kinkerz
You've never done any D? D's cool.

Seems a bit extreme to neg me for that. I mean, I know we don't get along - largely because you so often spout utter crap - but even so...
Original post by Kinkerz
Seems a bit extreme to neg me for that. I mean, I know we don't get along - largely because you so often spout utter crap - but even so...

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. And believe me there's more crap in your posts than the BNP's manifesto.
Getting from Edinburgh to Nottingham shouldn't take 6 hours, should it?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Getting from Edinburgh to Nottingham shouldn't take 6 hours, should it?

Take a flight it's quicker.
Original post by Warrior King
Take a flight it's quicker.

I did fly.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I did fly.

It was 6 hours by flight?
Original post by Warrior King
It was 6 hours by flight?

Nope. Flight delayed in Edinburgh by 45 minutes, flew to Bristol with the 'rents, train to Bham, wait 40 minutes, train to Leicester, train to Nottingham, 20 minute wait, bus to uni.

I.e. a crappy day.
Original post by Kinkerz

just realised i forgot to reply to the original message! D sounds okayish, looking forward to antibiotics and cytokines but not sure about the rest atm :tongue:
Hurry up results...
Reply 4018
Original post by Mushi_master
Hurry up results...

Ditto, I don't know how they justify giving the 1st years their results on Thursday whereas most of the third years are leaving the city for foreign countries in less than two weeks!

:rolleyes:
Original post by fatal
Ditto, I don't know how they justify giving the 1st years their results on Thursday whereas most of the third years are leaving the city for foreign countries in less than two weeks!

:rolleyes:

It's been almost 3 weeks since we finished now, and 4 since the OSCE. Some muppets in my year group wrote the wrong exam no. on some of the sheets too (as each exam had a SBA and an EMQ part, each with a separate no. - quite clearly labelled!), which no doubt will hold it up even more.

Latest

Trending

Trending