The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology 12 Mark questions

Yeah I just thought, I seem to now a lot about the stuff needed, but I always seem to mess up on the 12 marker at the end of the paper.

Anyone got any tips on how to write about it, structure ect?

Thanks
make sure you have a combination of a01 and ao2 points, as well as knowing key case studies
Reply 2
Well dont dazzle the examiner with studies! I would stick to 2 studies maximum and then evaluate them, and then add some general criticisms of the topic they are asking you about.
Start with an A01 point (this could be the description of a study or an explanation), and then evaluate that point if possible (the criticisms of the study or explanation), then your last few points should purely be A02 as they carry more marks.
Reply 3
Aims
Procedure
Findings
Conclusions

Then S+W's, include a couple of types of validity, reliability, generalisability and something on practical applications, throw in a study to support or go against if you can.

Leave the address where to send the 12 marks to and your sorted.

EDIT: Looks like i'm on about the wrong exam board, but meh.
4 A01's and 8 A02's
make essay plans before the exam on common essay questions, if you memorise your plan then just expand on the points you'll get at least 10 marks
also have a solid concluding paragraph that will pick you up some extra evaluative (A02) marks
For example discuss research findings in conformity
AO1 would require I'd say about 3 studies
possibly Asch,Moscovici and Zimbardo,
where you describe each studies findings.

Ao2 is about evaluating;
so what do these findings tell us?

Remeber to spend about 8 minutes on Ao1
and 8 on Ao2.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
I wish i read this before the exam..

Looks like I'm only gonna get 2 tops for A02 :/

I think had A01 covered though :smile:

How you all find it? persuming that's ok to talk about now
Vamp1reWeekend
4 A01's and 8 A02's
make essay plans before the exam on common essay questions, if you memorise your plan then just expand on the points you'll get at least 10 marks
also have a solid concluding paragraph that will pick you up some extra evaluative (A02) marks

that is very untrue.

It is 6marks each for AO1 and AO2? i am not quite sure where you got that informations from but you can even look at the mark schemes on aqa and check for yourself.. i did it last year so i know
GazzaXtreme
that is very untrue.

It is 6marks each for AO1 and AO2? i am not quite sure where you got that informations from but you can even look at the mark schemes on aqa and check for yourself.. i did it last year so i know

ah sorry, that's because i do the new spec (psychology b)...and it is 4 A01, 8 A02 at A2
Reply 9
i'm really panicking about if a daycare question will come up as the 12 marker. Can you just describe one study for it??
Sorry to be a little off-topic, but are you supposed to have A02 in 8 mark/10 mark questions?
Reply 11
Original post by yukiko
i'm really panicking about if a daycare question will come up as the 12 marker. Can you just describe one study for it??

You know this was Jan 2010 right?

Original post by LittleGlassVial
Sorry to be a little off-topic, but are you supposed to have A02 in 8 mark/10 mark questions?

Wouldn't hurt to throw in a supporting study I suppose
Reply 12
It's 6A01 and 6A02, they're not weighted differently until A2. Write a few short paragraphs of description, then 3 positives and 3 negatives. Use studies for some support/opposition and make sure you write in simple terms what the study suggests about the theories you're evaluating. You can include methods but it's not mandatory until A2 when it's marked as A03. You can also use ecological validity, mundane realism etc which are later marked as synoptic points at A2, so using them at AS is bound to impress.
Reply 13

Definitely. At AS it's a pretty equal weighting. If you use studies in the right way you can get A01 and A02 credit for them so they help maximise your mark if you're not sure about the composition of the marks in terms of A01 and A02. Sometimes the question will help you and give two separate numbers in the brackets, sometimes not. The first number is A01 and the second A02.
Reply 14
Original post by Kim-x
It's 6A01 and 6A02, they're not weighted differently until A2. Write a few short paragraphs of description, then 3 positives and 3 negatives. Use studies for some support/opposition and make sure you write in simple terms what the study suggests about the theories you're evaluating. You can include methods but it's not mandatory until A2 when it's marked as A03. You can also use ecological validity, mundane realism etc which are later marked as synoptic points at A2, so using them at AS is bound to impress.

All very well, but as I have said - this was back in 2010. I'm now doing my A2 exam tomorrow :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Good luck with it. Current AS students have been asking questions recently in this thread, so hopefully it is of use to them.
Reply 16
does any one know how to structure a 12 mark question on the evolutionary theory?
Original post by lace101
does any one know how to structure a 12 mark question on the evolutionary theory?

Old thread is old.

I assume you mean Bowlby;s theory of attachment. Bowlby's theory consists of 6 points, so there's your AO1, just identify and say what they mean. Make sure you explain the in terms of attachment.

For AO2, you've practically got 6 points on the spread about evaluating Bowlby, if you have the third edition textbook. Eg, Tronick et al for universitality, Hodges & Tizard for the sensitive period, Kagan and temperament hypothersis + related research, etc. Honestly I'm hoping for this one to come up on the retake next wednesday, it's one of the simplest ones that could come up IMO.
Reply 18

Yeah, for any outline and evaluate question you split the answer between half AO1 and half AO2
Reply 19
In 12 mark questions you need AO1( description) and AO2 ( evaluation) points. You get four points per case study and its evaluation.
Start of with a case study and describe it, including findings and procedures used. Then use another case study challenging the first one you wrote about (this'll make up your evaluation).
E.G: use the Peterson and Peterson case study of duration in STM as AO1 and then a study that might suggest different results from this one as your AO2.
Now do that three times for whatever question they ask and you'll get a 12 mark essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending