F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

i will survive if its mainly abouy module 1,3 and 4 and little about 2
Original post by intellectual1
MODULE 1 WILL BE THE FOCUS OF THIS PAPER! :eek:

What's in module one? We didn't learn them in modules at my college :s-smilie:
Original post by intellectual1
MODULE 1 WILL BE THE FOCUS OF THIS PAPER! :eek:

module one as in protein synthesis, meiosis, natural and artificial selection stuff? how do you know?
just want to get it done with... throughout my school and college.. I haven't prepared for anything as much as I did for this exam..not even med interviews.... hope everything goes well
Original post by Kidms001
I actually don't know how I feel :dontknow: .. I don't have {much} pressure on this exam, I just want to do really really well (considering how much work I've put in for it) :tongue:

I guess I just want to get it out of the way like you :rofl: .. How are you feeling?

Haha! :awesome: .. Singing is so therapeutic, regardless of ability :dance:

And I'll wish you good luck too, though I'm likely to be around for the next 2-3 hours, so I'm likely to say it again closer to the time :wink:

Yeah it is :biggrin:
Haha me too actually, how're you feeling about it? :smile:
Reply 2505
Goodluck all! Hoping to be ready for this exam in next 2 hours :smile: GOD helppp meee
Original post by DontPropositionMe
Its amazing what heating cooling and heating music can do :awesome:

Hahaha :awesome: It's so good!
Just went through Apoptosis(hope it comes up:biggrin:) and now going through Meiosis:yikes: I'll keep you peeps updated whether I finish every module by 12PM On dot!
Original post by TobeTheHero
Just went through Apoptosis(hope it comes up:biggrin:) and now going through Meiosis:yikes: I'll keep you peeps updated whether I finish every module by 12PM On dot!

When did you start? I'm compulsively writing mini essays for the longer questions :colone:

GOOD LUCK :h:
Am I the only one whose really scared about a big long confusing genetic cross question?
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Yeah it is :biggrin:
Haha me too actually, how're you feeling about it? :smile:

I'm a bit meh about this exam :dontknow: .. I absolutely refuse to get worried and nervous (or refuse to accept it at least, because I probably am) about it since it doesn't do any good for performance. I think I just want to get it over with :wink:

How about you?

Original post by TobeTheHero

Are you writing or reading? I wrote a 10 page summary of Unit 5 yesterday and it took me nearly 4 hours :lolwut:
Reply 2511
Original post by ekta9
Do you have the CGP book? That explains it really well!

Xenotransplantation is about the transfer of cells and organs from animals to different species (humans!). Basically theres 2 ways how animals can be genetically engineered:
1) Genes for HUMAN cell surface proteins are INSERTED into animals DNA. This is to reduce the risk of transplant rejection.
2) Genes for ANIMAL cell surface proteins can be removed/inactivated so reduce risk of rejection.

That's just a short summary of it :smile:

Don't know what the cgp book is :dontknow:

And thanks for that :smile:
Lastly, how do you explain the genetic drifts?
I also need to know (methods of sampling, succession, what affects population size, competitions, sustainability and conservation.. ) <-- that, i haven't gone over.
Original post by DontPropositionMe
When did you start? I'm compulsively writing mini essays for the longer questions :colone:

GOOD LUCK :h:

8:30am I just hope Meiosis comes UP:biggrin:

You too! Hope we'll ace it:biggrin:
Come on biology! Come at me bro!
Original post by Kidms001
I'm a bit meh about this exam :dontknow: .. I absolutely refuse to get worried and nervous (or refuse to accept it at least, because I probably am) about it since it doesn't do any good for performance. I think I just want to get it over with :wink:

How about you?

Are you writing or reading? I wrote a 10 page summary of Unit 5 yesterday and it took me nearly 4 hours :lolwut:

No! I'm only writing the Key words and going through the pages at fast pace:biggrin:
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Come on biology! Come at me bro!

LOL
Reply 2517
Original post by Lou2049
does anyone know what the role of ampicillin is, in transformed bacterial cells?

Basicallyyyy, In replica plating, ampicillin resistance is present in the transformed Bacteria, which has taken up the transformed plasmid.
This means when the bacteria is placed on the ampicillin agar tray, it grows, whilst other colonies of bacteria die, allowing you to identify a range of possible correct colonies.
Then, using velvet, you transfer the colonies onto Tetracyclin, which has a similar function as the Ampicillin, except, the transformed bacteria will die, as the resistance for TET has been obscured by the new (Human) gene which was attached earlier, whilst all other colonies will live.
So basically which ever colony survives on AMP, but dies on TET, is the desired bacteria. As it shows it has the new gene present inside it.

hope that clear some of it, (if anything) up...
Original post by Hazel92
module one as in protein synthesis, meiosis, natural and artificial selection stuff? how do you know?

because the jan11 papers are for people retaking...they set the jun papers knowing the entire country is takin it...

i went through the past papers...jun10 had lot of Module 1...
jan11 had alot of Module 2..

jun11 most likely will feature more Module 1 than Module 2

a third of the marks in both papers were based on the Module 3 and 4

Good luck everyone! Remember it is just 40 marks to pass, and 60 marks to gain your A grade! Grade boundaries tend to be low on this paper, as not everyone has the photographic memory to know the entire specification...

SYNOPTIC LINKS

MITOSIS F211
ENZYMES F212
DNA STRUCTURE OF NUCLEIC ACIDS F212
BIODIVERSITY CLASSIFICATION F212
RESPIRATION F214
NERVES AND HORMONES F214
q2 is one in 2000 so how do you know q2 is 0.0005?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending