The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J DOT A
I need AAA, with low A's for my medicine offer. There is no way in hell I reached that. Complete fail. I actually want to give up, I worked so hard and now I ****** it up.

I needed AAA for dentistry :frown: I feel exactly the same as you :frown: i spent all my time revising for the last 2 months and was given that monstrosity as a test! I want to give up too
Original post by supervernagirl
You're not alone...

Yeah same here

Original post by healthyandhappy
im so confuseddd

I think it was only p+q=1 actually looking back through my revision guide. This exam felt like an ecology one dudes!!

Original post by Kidms001
I suppose I could take a positive out of this and claim that it is good practice for waffle studies general studies tomorrow morning... :tongue:

Take a page outta my book. :colondollar:

Original post by healthyandhappy
but they asked you to work out p and q?

Yeah I think you're actually right. Why does OCR need to be tricky?

I wish there was more genetics. I thought OCR had learnt from the last two papers that we're all not scientists quite yet and need some gentle pushing along. Not great big psuhes!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2702
I ended up with 0.92 and 0.08 on the last question. I initially screwed up by doing black ones are bb, and only realised in the last two minutes or so that it should be red are bb, thankfullyyyy.

They've done loads of ecosystem/population stuff on the papers now though. It's bleh.
Reply 2703
sqrt (290/346) gives 0.9249277.... =Q
1-Q = 0.0750722 = P
it asked for 2d.p. so its definately 0.92 and 0.08 :smile:
Dear OCR,

I noticed a typo in one of your exam papers: the Ecology paper was mislabelled as “Biology”. Please let me know when I can sit the exam that I've spent 2 years working and 6 weeks revising for, so I don’t fail to get into a nice Biochemistry degree based on my lack of ecological knowledge.

Sincerely,
Potential McDonald’s Employee

In all seriousness though, it probably wasn't that bad an exam, I just think that the content of the exam was disproportionate to the content of the textbook. I'm still disappointed/angry/bitter so i'm gonna go on a blistering run, and come back to this thread with a calm head.

To everyone, stress won't help you with your upcoming exams, you probably did better than you think you did :smile: Stay optimistic, because YOU are awesome.
And worst case scenario, we all failed it and the A boundary is 10% :P
Original post by eddie90
1-Q = 0.0750722 = P

I could kiss you :eek:

If you're right >.>
The first question was just asking how animals eat the plant protein, break it down into the constituent amino acids and rebuild into animal proteins (translation), I think. Unless you mean the first question as a whole.

b) Defecation, urination, death of plant/animal?

c) Nitrifying bacteria change ammonium into nitrites (nitrosomonas), then nitrites into nitrates (nitrobates) via oxidation. This allows plants to recycle the nitrogen, as they can retake up the nitrates (but not the nitrites or ammonium).

Can't remember what D was.

For the last question:
q^2 = 0.14 (as genotype bb = 50/346)
q = 0.38
p = 0.62

Percentage decrease was:
[(New value - old value)/old value]*100, I think. Can't remember what it came out as, though.
Reply 2707
What a fail, i flopped that 11 mark so badly :frown:
Original post by Medifield
>.< I think you're right. NOOOO!!!

:yep: Unfortunately...
Don't worry, you'll probably get at least one method mark and it was only out of 3
I din't even attempt it.. :redface:
Haha on that xylem one I said xylem carries water and ions and therefore photosynthesis won't be able to take place in leaf. -_- I hate OCR!!!!!! I think we should complain about how OCR keep asking 90 percent of paper one one topic then 10 percent on all the rest!! They really need to stop it its not fair on those who have revised loads. For instance, a person could have revised ecosystems and sustainability and no other topic and get the same grade has someone who has!!! Ridiculous OCR!!! I hate u!

For first question I described the nitrogen cycle -_- FML!
Original post by Ace0fAllTrades
Dear OCR,

I noticed a typo in one of your exam papers: the Ecology paper was mislabelled as “Biology”. Please let me know when I can sit the exam that I've spent 2 years working and 6 weeks revising for, so I don’t fail to get into a nice Biochemistry degree based on my lack of ecological knowledge.

Sincerely,
Potential McDonald’s Employee

In all seriousness though, it probably wasn't that bad an exam, I just think that the content of the exam was disproportionate to the content of the textbook. I'm still disappointed/angry/bitter so i'm gonna go on a blistering run, and come back to this thread with a calm head.

To everyone, stress won't help you with your upcoming exams, you probably did better than you think you did :smile: Stay optimistic, because YOU are awesome.
And worst case scenario, we all failed it and the A boundary is 10% :P

:five: .. As a first post, that is brilliant in every single way :biggrin:
Original post by mortysteve
The first question was just asking how animals eat the plant protein, break it down into the constituent amino acids and rebuild into animal proteins (translation), I think. Unless you mean the first question as a whole.

b) Defecation, urination, death of plant/animal?

c) Nitrifying bacteria change ammonium into nitrites (nitrosomonas), then nitrites into nitrates (nitrobates) via oxidation. This allows plants to recycle the nitrogen, as they can retake up the nitrates (but not the nitrites or ammonium).

Can't remember what D was.

For the last question:
q = 0.38
p = 0.62

Percentage decrease was:
[(New value - old value)/old value]*100, I think. Can't remember what it came out as, though.

I agree with you're answers up to the hardy bit. How did you get 0.38 and 0.62?
All the people at my school who got D's, E's and U's in January came out saying how easy it was. I am a good waffler but OCR really ..... Hedgehogs and Ladybirds?
Original post by eddie90
1-Q = 0.0750722 = P

Sqrt(290/346) gives you Sqrt(p^2 + 2pq) which is no use.

B was the dominant allele.
p = B. q = b.
bb = q^2
50/346 = q^2 etcccccccc
Reply 2714
Original post by mortysteve
For the last question:
q = 0.38
p = 0.62

Percentage decrease was:

They'd sneakily snuck in at the top that bb, so q^2=bb was the red ladybugs, so q^2 = 296/346, ending up with q=0.92 and p0.08.
Did anyone else feel they didn't have enough points for the 11 marker on learned and innate behavior?
What did u guys write
Reply 2716
OMG that exam was SOOOOOoo HARD!
none of the stuff that i revise like genome and meiosis stuff!!!
Also the 6 marks question on the describe and explain the population of hedgoes.. what did u guys put?:
Original post by Kidms001
:yep: .. As was my first post (that got negged) I said that I could have got anywhere between 40 and 80 (though I'm sure I counted at least 27 definite wrong answers :tongue:) .. I just don't know.

And don't worry. I've already eaten an ice cream AND a twix bar, so you're not alone :love:

I doubt I'll revise much tonight, I'll be too interested in the reactions on this thread :rofl:

It got negged? Silly people :rolleyes:
Haha, I usually count the marks I think I've definitely got, I didn't even have time in this exam :redface: I never run out of time in exams :frown:

Aww nice :biggrin: I'm literally just eating everything in my house :love:

Ahh same, but as I haven't revised for any of my other exams because of this stupid paper, I think I might have to make myself :frown: :tongue:
Original post by fortunecookie
All the people at my school who got D's, E's and U's in January came out saying how easy it was. I am a good waffler but OCR really ..... Hedgehogs and Ladybirds?

Don't forget forget the little sheeepy :tongue:

I mean when I saw the Q1 I paniced looked up, down, left, right. Then thought. ****!

I answered it later realising that the stuff is broken down by enzymes breaking the bonds (peptide) then I said translation happens >.< Fail....
Original post by Kaph
They'd sneakily snuck in at the top that bb, so q^2=bb was the red ladybugs, so q^2 = 296/346, ending up with q=0.92 and p0.08.

stupid biology. dunno how i got bb = 50 then. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending