The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

which newspaper is most respected?

not which one do you read. which british newspaper is the most widely respected?

EDIT: a bit surprised that the times has only had one mention so far.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Daily Mail. Clearly.
Daily Telegraph!! :awesome:
Reply 3
Original post by Jeebus42
The Daily Mail. Clearly.

Damn it! You got there before me :mad:
Reply 4
Respected:

Times, Telegraph, Financial Times, Independent, (Guardian)

The dregs:

The Daily Fail, Sun, Mirror etc
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
The Guardian is pretty good, and The Times.
Reply 6
The Guardian, but I'm biased because they sponsor all sorts of cool developer stuff.
Blatantly 'The Sun'
Reply 8
The Financial Times and The Telegraph.
I read the Guardian.

The Independent is pretty good :smile:
Reply 10
The Telegraph, the Guardian, the Independent, and the Financial Times are usually viewed as the most respectable UK papers. It's generally the left-leaning that favour the Guardian and the Independent and the right-leaning that favour the Telegraph and the FT. The Times was historically highly respected, but went to seed when News Intl bought it.
Reply 11
The Guardian? :lolwut:

It's just the Daily Mail on the other side of the coin.

Personally, I think the Telegraph and Times are the most respectable papers.
The Telegraph is certainly the most politically neutral, but any of The Guardian, Times or Telegraph are seen as decent newspapers
Reply 13
Would't call the Guardian respected tbh. No paper with a very clear bias should be seen as a respected newspaper.
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12
Would't call the Guardian respected tbh. No paper with a very clear bias should be seen as a respected newspaper.

It's widely respected by the general public, but I agree that I wouldn't overall respect a paper with such a pronounced leftist bias so as to publicly make collective pledges of political support (eg republicanism).
Telegraph, or perhaps the Financial Times
Original post by jelly1000
The Telegraph is certainly the most politically neutral, but any of The Guardian, Times or Telegraph are seen as decent newspapers

I don't know. I read the independent and that seemed pretty neutral. They are a paper that tries quite hard not to push any political dogma in to the paper. The telegraph seems right wing, and the guardian seems left wing though I'd read both of those
Reply 17
The Independent :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by de_monies
I don't know. I read the independent and that seemed pretty neutral. They are a paper that tries quite hard not to push any political dogma in to the paper. The telegraph seems right wing, and the guardian seems left wing though I'd read both of those

I'd say that Britain has no truly neutral press; the Independent always comes over as having a slightly left-leaning editorial stance, and the Telegraph as definedly right-wing, though they're probably the most neutral major papers in the country.
Based on readership: The Sun (Most read in Britain), The Daily Mail (Largest female readership).

Based on quality of the actual journalism: The Financial Times, The Guardian (sometimes).

Latest

Trending

Trending