The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itmightbefriday
What would people write if they ask to write about more general options to development for the Maghreb? Apart from tourism and joining global groupings I can't think of anything else I would write about D: xx

You could talk about the different type of approaches...Top-down and Bottom-up:

Top-down:

HIPC (Mauritania)- debt relief

Trade liberalisation- expanding their trade, establishing groups (removing barriers), basically this links in with the trade groups-The Maghreb wants to join with the EU, which will allow them acess with the European markets.

Improving commodity prices, basically OIL. This will increase export revenue and subsequently GDP.

Bottom-up...still in progress lol

I guess we could also mention things on tech fix solutions such as the Great Man Made River project in Libya, which provides a high tech solution for water security (so basically you have two synoptic points for one point). This is important as water is seen as the lubricant of development so with a secure source of water you have a secure source of development.
Reply 301
Original post by GeorgieGee
Hi all - thanks for the thread, it's been really helpful

I was just wondering - and yes I know it's probably a stupid question - do we have to refer to what has happened recently in the region (Libya etc..), as I'd rather not have to :s-smilie:

you don't "have to"- just a brief mention on how the uprisings and political tension in Libya at the moment, especially with the huge media focus on the subject, is both reducing tourism and decreasing chances of investment will contribute to your marks as you're relating it to present day issues.

Or something along those lines anyway!
Reply 302
Anyone have any idea what the last question could be on? I'm hoping part (a) is along the lines of factors limiting development, part(b) about the use of tourism as a development strategy, but I can't think what a possible (c) could be :/
Reply 303
Hi all - thanks for the thread, it's been really helpful for revision.

And at times made me scared that I don't know anything! :wink:

I was just wondering - and yes I know it's probably a stupid question - do we have to refer to what has happened recently in the region (Libya etc..), as I'd rather not have to :s-smilie:

I just got so confused by what my teacher had said....

Yes! my geography teacher goes on about the best essay he has ever seen beginng with ... "This morning" eg. use as much news as possible. :smile:
Original post by sequences
you don't "have to"- just a brief mention on how the uprisings and political tension in Libya at the moment, especially with the huge media focus on the subject, is both reducing tourism and decreasing chances of investment will contribute to your marks as you're relating it to present day issues.

Or something along those lines anyway!

Oh, thanks so much! I know a little bit about what is happening, but not really in depth, so this is great - plus it means less to have to remember :smile:
Reply 305
Original post by TheRockMaster
Thanks!

Yeah I am trying to be synoptic as possible.
Was it in the special lecture thing in London? I missed that...darn!
Thanks for the help though :biggrin:

No probs! Nope, he came to our college.
Yep definitely need to be synoptic to get high marks :smile:
Reply 306
Original post by LizziePiz
No probs! Nope, he came to our college.
Yep definitely need to be synoptic to get high marks :smile:

Did Dunn by any chance subtly give an indication as to what the section A questions could be-through presentations etc.?
Reply 307

Original post by Ezio
Did Dunn by any chance subtly give an indication as to what the section A questions could be-through presentations etc.?

Nope, not a clue! I wish! It was before the pre-release as well, so no clues there.
Reply 308
would anyone be amazing help and give me a few keyplayers a long with their impacts on development in the Maghreb region

thanks !
Is anyone doing Superpower Geography? Im really struggling to generate possible questions for Section A :/
Reply 310
Original post by sequences
would anyone be amazing help and give me a few keyplayers a long with their impacts on development in the Maghreb region

thanks !

You could have governments, especially with regards to libya, and talk about corruption and uprising against them that is hindering development

vision 2010 developers are players that are helping development by developing the tourism industry in morocco, but could be seen as being unsustainable in some ways

the various tade blocks are all key players, such as the AMU, free trade would aid development

things that like that, if that helps
Original post by Ezio
Anyone have any idea what the last question could be on? I'm hoping part (a) is along the lines of factors limiting development, part(b) about the use of tourism as a development strategy, but I can't think what a possible (c) could be :/

I asked a similar question earlier and am really unsure as well....

The first two need to be like that or I will not be a happy man. For the last one it could be the other approaches in terms of removing the development gap.
E.G top-down and bottom-up..then evaluate the different approaches and maybe even link it too the development theory....then go on to talk about the future (honestly dont know how thats gonna work but hey).
Reply 312
Original post by snowlo18
You could have governments, especially with regards to libya, and talk about corruption and uprising against them that is hindering development

vision 2010 developers are players that are helping development by developing the tourism industry in morocco, but could be seen as being unsustainable in some ways

the various tade blocks are all key players, such as the AMU, free trade would aid development

things that like that, if that helps

thanks so much :smile:
Reply 313
hi i was wondering if there should be any particular structure when writing an answer for section a and b questions? like in part a questions, do we just refer to the data given or do we mention case studies as well. for part a questions, do we have to write an introduction and/or conclusion or do we just get straight to the point?

im not very prepared for this at all compared to other people on this thread. only started revising for this exam 3 days ago, im getting ready to bullsh*t my way through the whole exam tomoro LOL
Can someone please help me on what parallel examples to use.

I dont want to sound desperate but i am lol xxxx

xxx thanks in advance
Hi all - thanks for the thread, it's been really helpful for revision.

And at times made me scared that I don't know anything! :wink:

I just got so confused by what my teacher had said....

The way I see it...this pre-release was probably done with that (not in mind). However it gives you a good example of how political tensions can lead to lack of development...even a development gap.

Basically the rich guys in the Maghreb are going to be the ones who aer the closest to the regimes of the states (Libya and Tunisia). The poorer people are the ones who fight for their rights (opposing the regime). Therefore development in the region is not dependent solely on interregional political and diplomatic relations, however the amount of political stability within a country is also important in terms of GDP.
How can globalisatio be linked in?
Has anyone read up about the Vision 2020! not 2010?

Do you think they will want us to answer the questions with the new infomation or the resource book infomation?

I'm getting confused how to approach these, because a lot of the pre release is out of date etc. e.g. half of the plan azurs aren't going ahead due to funds and stuff, the data has changed. new conflicts, vision 2010 is now vision 2020.

Do we pretend nothing has changed sicne the pre-release!?
hmmmmm thoughts?
Reply 318
Hey guys,
I'm doing Energy & Superpowers for Section A, does anyone have any notes or examples I could use to back things up?
Kinda struggling and panicing!
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Reply 319
Original post by Maxgoodrum
Has anyone read up about the Vision 2020! not 2010?

Do you think they will want us to answer the questions with the new infomation or the resource book infomation?

I'm getting confused how to approach these, because a lot of the pre release is out of date etc. e.g. half of the plan azurs aren't going ahead due to funds and stuff, the data has changed. new conflicts, vision 2010 is now vision 2020.

Do we pretend nothing has changed sicne the pre-release!?
hmmmmm thoughts?

you can use information from the resource booket regardless of it's changed, however using for example vision 2020 shows you've conducted extra research and allows you to evaluate the successfulness of the provided information within the resource booklet allowing you to access the higher levels.

Depending on what the question asks of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending