The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nano198
I got 40.1% lol

but thats if you divide your value by the total, but it asked for percentage decrease, so wouldnt you have divided by the biggest value, which was 6 hundred sumthin
Original post by jungdao
You choose a base in one of the four big letters in the middle and that is the first base in the amino acid. Then choose the second and then the third base, moving towards the outside. The very outside tells you what amino acid that triplet codes for.

yeah i did understand it in the end but it was so weird haha worst paper ever
I really liked that paper. Honestly, it was great.

Although, everyone else said it was awful, and now I'm not sure whether I've done well or not. Gaaarrrgghh.
Original post by nano198
I got 40.1% lol

:frown: so failed that. i'm retaking f214 next week so hopefully will get an A in that and an A overall. Biology is soooo hard this year! last year i got 100% in unit 1 but this year its all gone downhill
Original post by mortysteve
Did anyone else think that 6 marks for describing and explaining what happened to the wader population after the introduction of the hedgehogs was a bit weird? They'd told us why the population decreases (the hedgehogs eat eggs), so I wasn't really sure how to get 6 marks out of it.

I worked out the percentage decrease for each and then explained why some had a higher decrease than others. I cant remember which was which but i said for the one that had the highest decrease that perhaps it was unable to hide its eggs as well as the one with the lowest % decrease or that the hedgehogs preffered the taste of that one.
Reply 2805
I'm sorry to hear how unrepresentative of the syllabus the paper seems to have been. I have spent the lest two months helping my daughter and her friend revise for this paper and it sounds like we have wasted most of our time. OCR have a responsibility to ensure that the paper covers the whole range of topics, not just those aimed at bearded ecologists.
Reply 2806
Ahhhh that was so bad 3 months of revision waste of time..... it was more like an ethics paper with a few biology questions thrown in
Looking forward to unit 4 next week .. every bio paper this summer has been weird
Reply 2808
Original post by Kaph
No idea if it's right, I just mentioned digestion, some waffle, break down proteins into amino acids, more waffle, then distributed and used in translation to make proteins.

Tbh it was probably the most sciencey question on the stupid paper. Better than sheep.

Now i feel really stupid :ahee:

It's something I should actually know but couldn't produce in the exam.

Rawwwr :angry:

Lol you think sheep was bad; how about killer hedgehogs and whether we should kill them or not?

OCR :sigh:
Reply 2809
For the change from UUU to UUC did people get silent mutation or point mutation?
Original post by angelbones
I really liked that paper. Honestly, it was great.

Although, everyone else said it was awful, and now I'm not sure whether I've done well or not. Gaaarrrgghh.

I was honestly waiting for someone to say this and ask,"Are you on drugs?" :tongue:

Seriously, if anyone found this paper easy, you're a very clever person who is going to defo get into a good uni.

Alas, all those that studied, might be for nothing :frown:
Reply 2811
Original post by healthyandhappy
i got 0.86 and 0.14 for the last q?

SAME!!! im pretty sure it's right x
What did people get for Molecular Analysis??
Original post by eddie90
1A) plant protein - animal protein (3)
b) humus question regarding process (2)
?) question regarding use of a plant to restore nitrogen into soil (3)
?) refer to letters on diagram how nitrogen decreases (3)
?) why rare sheep kept in existence (2)
?) processes involved in allowing sheep to eat sea weed (lol) (2)

only parts of question 1 i can remember :/ any1 feel free to add to it :P

1)a) Plant protein - animal protein (3)
b) Processes that lead to process B (humus) (2)
c) How the processes C and D contribute to plant growth (reference to nitrifying bacteria).
?) What plant could the farmer use to restore nitrogen the soil? (2)
?) Why rare sheep should be kept in existence (2)
?) The two processes involved in allowing sheep to eat seaweed (2)
?) The two major problems that cause these sheep to be rare? (2?)
?) What are the three stop codons? (1)
?) Why do stop codons stop translation (or some ****)?
?) What are the other 4 amino acids in the chain?
?) Differences between Somatic Cell Therapy and Germline Cell Therapy (2)
?) Differences between PNS and CNS (4)
?) Differences between Prophase 1 and Prophase 2 (2)
?) Describe and explain what happens to the population of waders after hedgehogs are introduced (6)
?) Percentage decrease of Swipes in area 2 (2)
?) Advantages of learned and innate behaviour (11)
?) Describe the process of tissue culture? (7)
?) Describe a suitable method for the student to measure ladybirds up the hill?
?) Explain a more suitable method to list the data collected (frequencies of ladybirds)? (2)
?) The student says, "positive correlation = ladybirds survive better in high altitudes". Is he correct in saying this? (3)
?) Work out p and q (hardy weinberg) (2)
?) Hedgehogs are being trapped and killed. Discuss the ethical implications (3)
?) Explain why nearly all the Elm trees were wiped out when the disease hit (3)
?) Molecular analysis to show they're clones (1)
?) How do Elm trees produce clones [or something] (1)
?) The disease causes the leaves to turn yellow and die. Explain why? (2)
?) How does the leaves dying cause the roots to die? (2?)
?) UUU changed to UUA. What mutation is this? (1)
?) What DNA makes up the sequence of amino acids above? or something

???
(edited 12 years ago)
i really needed an A in this!! And like all the stuff i mainly focused on wasn't even in the paper! Why did ocr make such a stupid paper
Reply 2815
Original post by Boompw
For the change from UUU to UUC did people get silent mutation or point mutation?

I got point mutation then again I didnt pay attention to the question cuz I was running out of time
Woops mistake..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JakeChocz
"explain the ethics behind killing hedgehogs" didn't realise we were sitting a WS/GS exam

3 points...! I was like "errrr...people dont want to kill animals and...thats it?" In the end I said it was perhaps preferential over keeping the hedgehogs in captivity for their whole lives as some people would think this is more cruel than killing them. So i reckon I got 2 marks...
Original post by whc23
I'm sorry to hear how unrepresentative of the syllabus the paper seems to have been. I have spent the lest two months helping my daughter and her friend revise for this paper and it sounds like we have wasted most of our time. OCR have a responsibility to ensure that the paper covers the whole range of topics, not just those aimed at bearded ecologists.

I wish i had a beard lol :ahee:
Original post by sarian2
SAME!!! im pretty sure it's right x

i got this too but everyones got different answers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending