The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Black Butler
there is no relationship between number of feather mites on birds feathers and the breeding success. Something along those lines would be acceptable

yep thats what i wrote:smile:
Reply 981
there is no relationship between number of feather mites on birds feathers and the breeding success. Something along those lines would be acceptable

I think I wrote an increase in feather mites did not cause a decrease in breeding success. Or something along those lines. Oh dear, just thinking about my answers worries me.
Original post by abzzzg
I think I wrote an increase in feather mites did not cause a decrease in breeding success. Or something along those lines. Oh dear, just thinking about my answers worries me.

It was only one mark no worries.
Reply 983
Original post by ruky07
you use it in the ISA

oops
Reply 984
Original post by abzzzg

Omg, i put that, actually i put that you have to reject the hypothesis... it was 50/50 chance.. it seems like thats the one most people put :biggrin:
I just wrote : An increase in the number of feather mites will have no affect on the breeding success per pair
Original post by Boo!xx
Omg, i put that, actually i put that you have to reject the hypothesis... it was 50/50 chance.. it seems like thats the one most people put :biggrin:

You werent provided with enough data in order to reject or accept the null hypothesis so I dont know why youd write that.
Reply 987
Original post by Betsss
I think that went alright! Thought it was easier than the Jan paper, but hopefully grade boundaries aren't too high!
The last long answer questions were lovely :smile: although the feathered mites...not so :P

featheres mites question was gayyyyy! ....

Null hypothesis: There is no significant statistical difference between the amount of mites and the success of the hatching chicks?????

describe the graph - I said that for tits with large oil glands more points are closer to or touch the line of best fit. for tits with small glands few points touch the line. there is a slight positive correlation however.

does measuring oil gland size increase reliability - I said yes because different tits have different sizes of oil glands so by removing this variable a valid correlation can be determined between the amount of mites in relation to oil gland size.

Mites eat pathogenic bacteria and fungus - I said that it would reduce the chance of tits contracting pathogenic disease or fungus infections, so less energy is used in fighting them off and more energy can be used in reproduction and breeding behaviour so it is likely to increase the numbers of succesfull chicks...???
Original post by Nickgooner92
I just wrote : An increase in the number of feather mites will have no affect on the breeding success per pair

thats acceptable
Reply 989
Original post by abzzzg
oops

dnt matter we all make mistakes :confused:,
Reply 990
p+q=1
when 1 falls in number the other increases,
hence directional selection.
Reply 991
Of course that is correct.

would that get both the marks?
Is there gonna be an unofficial mark scheme??
Major Rep!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SK-mar
does measuring oil gland size increase reliability - I said yes because different tits have different sizes of oil glands so by removing this variable a valid correlation can be determined between the amount of mites in relation to oil gland size.

I believe it was asking about the reliability for checking the number and mites and oil gland size at the same time.
I said the reliablilty would increase by doing it at the same time because the oil glands or no. of mites may change in time.
Reply 995
Original post by fsaeed20
p+q=1

yeh but in this case the recessive was present in such small numbers (only 4%) that it was at one extreme of the range of alleles. so by that reducing in percentage, then alleles at the extreme are reduced and alleles at the middle of the range are increased - stabilising selection.
You werent provided with enough data in order to reject or accept the null hypothesis so I dont know why youd write that.

Oh dude i completely messed this answer up i put that there was a corellation but that it didn't show causation. oh man. FFS
Reply 997
Original post by fsaeed20
p+q=1

i wrote directional selection :biggrin:
hope it's correct
Reply 998
what exam board is this?
Reply 999
Horse stores excess substances as fat. Fairly sure as an E "level" question that's right.

Why does the anaerobic tank stop working if not cooled?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending