The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meerar20
Okay, so:
GCSES - 9A*s and 2As
AS: As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology
UKCAT: Average 600
BMAT: 6.3, 5.2 and 4A

Applied to: Birmingham, Nottingham, Oxford and Leeds (and Aston for Pharmacy)
Interviews from: Birmingham and Oxford
Offer from Birmingham (3As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths)

Yeah, for my year birm said you needed 8A*s, but I think you needed 9 really. So I guess for your year it will be 9. I also think their offer has gone up to A*AA?

The birmingham interview was okay I guess, pretty average. About 20 mins. Theres so stuff which you need to learn, like the roles of the GMC, MMC, BMA etc. The questions I got asked where -
- Did you come on an open day here?
- Why do you want to come to birmingham?
- Tell us about your voluntary work
- Tell us about your work experience
- Do you still volunteer at MIND charity shop?
- What did you gather from the doctors on your work experience about the most negative aspects of medicine?
- You've mentioned paediatric work experience in your personal statement, tell us about that
- How does paediatrics differ from other branches of medicine
- Did you see an example of communication with a child who does not speak yet?
- What is the role of the General Medical Council?
- How long does it take to become a paediatrician?
- Have you got any other experience working with children?
- Everyone dies eventually so medicine fails. Discuss.
- Should we always be working to prologue the length of life?
- What do you do to relax?
- Tell me about badminton
- Which scoring system in badminton do you play, and which do you prefer?
- Tell me about a book you have read recently
- Do you play a musical instrument
Not necessarily in order after the first few, but there you go (:

Also, my advice would be to hit ukcat hard, practise loads about it, because although it is a really stupid test, a lot of unis put a lot of emphasis on it, its probs more important than your AS grades in terms of getting an offer. I think that was what let me down!

Work experience - 2 weeks of hospital observation, one in theaters and outpatienst, one in paediatrics.
Also did a 4 week nuffield bursary project last summer, in a hospital, auditing missed drug doses during inpatient stays.
Voluntary work - special needs kids club, charity shop, primary school
Miscellaneous - chair of student council, young enterprise, journal club, first aid course

Hope that helps! (: Any other questions feel free to ask (:

Wow that's amazing!
veryy well done with that :smile:
May I ask, what is the 4 week nuffield bursary project? :biggrin:
and also, how did you prepare for the BMAT test?

you fully deserved that offer, and I wish you the best of luck with your course :smile:
Original post by Catatonia
Hello - I'm not a med student yet but I went through the application process this year for 2011 entrance. I applied to Cambridge (Gonville and Caius), Edinburgh, King's College London and Leicester for medicine so if you have any questions about these med schools or if you have any queries pertaining to UKCAT, BMAT, interviews (I was interviewed at Cambridge, KCL and Leicester) do let me know!

Just don't expect a speedy/detailed response until the 27th when my exams end! =P

Good luck x

Hey!

What sort of GCSE grades do you need for Kings/Edinburgh? and BMAT/UKCAT how can I prepare for it, any tips of websites/books other than 600Q
Also, where did you get an offer/s from?
best of luck with your exams :smile:
Reply 3942
Original post by AishaTara
Wow that's amazing!
veryy well done with that :smile:
May I ask, what is the 4 week nuffield bursary project? :biggrin:
and also, how did you prepare for the BMAT test?

you fully deserved that offer, and I wish you the best of luck with your course :smile:

Haha, it feels like I did a lot more now that Ive written it all down :P
Aww thanks! (:
The nuffield bursary was something that was in my school buliten, it was really good actually, and I think its a national thing. You get paid (£80 week) and conduct some sort of research activity that actually needs to be done, if that makes sense. I think they do them for science, maths and engineering. So I did an audit of missed doses, spent about 2 weeks on wards collecting my data, and then another 2 weeks analysing it and writing up a report and stuff. But one of my friends did a lab experiment and studied dna of mice and for a particular allele and made comparisons and stuff, so theres loads of different things.
You should be able to google it and see if they have anything, but I suspect they will have mainly been allocated for this summer now ):

BMAT wise, I had the offical textbook thing from amazon, and just did all the questions, and the 3 papers on the website. With bmat, there really isnt a great deal you can do, because the questions are quite varied. I think people say that 'brain training' excercises help aswell... To be honest, the first time I did a full essay was in the exam! Whereas I felt like I did quite a lot of practise for ukcat, and that didnt go aswell! But ukcat I think if you did lots more practise, you could 'train' for it more, because you know exactly what the questions will be (as stupid as they are!)
So yeah, with bmat, just go over the style of the questions, and do a few practise questions and essays, and see how you do. There really isnt a lot more than that you can do, unfortunately!

Ahh thankyou, need to get the grades first though! :O
x
Reply 3943
Original post by Catatonia
Hello - I'm not a med student yet but I went through the application process this year for 2011 entrance. I applied to Cambridge (Gonville and Caius), Edinburgh, King's College London and Leicester for medicine so if you have any questions about these med schools or if you have any queries pertaining to UKCAT, BMAT, interviews (I was interviewed at Cambridge, KCL and Leicester) do let me know!

Just don't expect a speedy/detailed response until the 27th when my exams end! =P

Good luck x

Hi well done on your offer!
Can you tell a bit more about what questions you got asked at interview at Cambridge? That's the part I'm most worried about.
Original post by meerar20
Haha, it feels like I did a lot more now that Ive written it all down :P
Aww thanks! (:
The nuffield bursary was something that was in my school buliten, it was really good actually, and I think its a national thing. You get paid (£80 week) and conduct some sort of research activity that actually needs to be done, if that makes sense. I think they do them for science, maths and engineering. So I did an audit of missed doses, spent about 2 weeks on wards collecting my data, and then another 2 weeks analysing it and writing up a report and stuff. But one of my friends did a lab experiment and studied dna of mice and for a particular allele and made comparisons and stuff, so theres loads of different things.
You should be able to google it and see if they have anything, but I suspect they will have mainly been allocated for this summer now ):

BMAT wise, I had the offical textbook thing from amazon, and just did all the questions, and the 3 papers on the website. With bmat, there really isnt a great deal you can do, because the questions are quite varied. I think people say that 'brain training' excercises help aswell... To be honest, the first time I did a full essay was in the exam! Whereas I felt like I did quite a lot of practise for ukcat, and that didnt go aswell! But ukcat I think if you did lots more practise, you could 'train' for it more, because you know exactly what the questions will be (as stupid as they are!)
So yeah, with bmat, just go over the style of the questions, and do a few practise questions and essays, and see how you do. There really isnt a lot more than that you can do, unfortunately!

Ahh thankyou, need to get the grades first though! :O
x

Thank you so much for all this information! I shall be giving you a rep ( if i've got some, otherwise I'll give it tomorrow) but thanks! I've got more confidence now, and hopefully I'll be looking into the Nuffield Bursary scheme abit more for next year. What year were you in when you did it? :smile:
take care x
Reply 3945
Hi people :smile:

I'm not here to show off, or moan and ask "am I good enough..."
I'd like to know how important the UMS mark would be for Cambridge.

I did IGCSE, achieving 10A*'s and 3A's (if u convert this to % of A*, then it's below 80% so unfortunately Oxford wouldn't be my option..)

I did CIE(international) AS Math, Physics, Biol, Chem
expecting % UMS of 95, 98, 95, 88 (messed up practical test :mad:) respectively

I know those UMS are not bad, but since application for medicine is so damn competitive I don't think they are fantastic either (especially Chem!)

Do you think my UMS (not talking about interview or BMAT here. I know they're very important) will affect my application in any bad ways?

Thanks
Reply 3946
Original post by JChoudhry
Wow! That's crazy! :eek: I have no luck with hospitals (yet) :p: The psychiatrist seems quite interesting! Jealous! :p:

I know :smug: That's next week, so I'll hardly have time for tsr :emo: Haha.

Just keep bugging them, and ringing up :yep: Surely you have some contacts in hospitals, what with you being asian :tongue: Should be easy peasy.
Reply 3947
Original post by LJY0560

I did IGCSE, achieving 10A*'s and 3A's (if u convert this to % of A*, then it's below 80% so unfortunately Oxford wouldn't be my option..)

I know those UMS are not bad, but since application for medicine is so damn competitive I don't think they are fantastic either (especially Chem!)

Do you think my UMS (not talking about interview or BMAT here. I know they're very important) will affect my application in any bad ways?

Thanks

Hey there :smile:

And I would not suspect so, I mean your other 3 UMS scores are fantastic, and although 88 is in Chem, it shouldn't pull that much weight. Just do a lot of prep. for the BMAT and interview and provided you do as accordingly on those as possible, I don't see a problem :smile:
Original post by sablarrr
I know :smug: That's next week, so I'll hardly have time for tsr :emo: Haha.

Just keep bugging them, and ringing up :yep: Surely you have some contacts in hospitals, what with you being asian :tongue: Should be easy peasy.

Haha! Me and contacts? :laugh: Nice joke :p: I've only been in this country for like 5 years lol and most of the asian people I know are failsians :p:
Original post by LJY0560

Original post by LJY0560

Thanks

Your UMS scores are amazing, even Chemistry, it's a very very high A. :smile:

Cambridge can be abit anal about UMS, and Chemistry is one of the most important ones, I think you still have a shot because the others are so good, but you would really have to work on all other aspects, a lot.
Reply 3950
Original post by JChoudhry
Haha! Me and contacts? :laugh: Nice joke :p: I've only been in this country for like 5 years lol and most of the asian people I know are failsians :p:

(I can get away with that joke, cos I am of the asian brethren also) :ninjagirl:

Ooh, where did you live before? :beard: What attracted you to England? (apart from the "failsians" :lol:)

You have it lucky mate, there's loadsa idiot rudeboi asian gangstazz where I live :colonhash:
Reply 3951
Just downloaded the UKCAT practice test from the website and it is hard :eek: Surely the BMAT is easier than the UKCAT? Anyone agree?
Reply 3952
Original post by Nator
Just downloaded the UKCAT practice test from the website and it is hard :eek: Surely the BMAT is easier than the UKCAT? Anyone agree?

I've downloaded those! But I've yet to start them...I'm too lazy for my own good. What's the BMAT like? I always thought it was harder for some reason.
Reply 3953
After a particularly horrible biology test, I'm beginning to wonder if it'll be bye bye medicine.
Reply 3954
I've downloaded those! But I've yet to start them...I'm too lazy for my own good. What's the BMAT like? I always thought it was harder for some reason.

Haha kool :biggrin: Well I just started one without any prep and it seems impossible :eek: And the BMAT is hard as well (especially section 1) but I'm really liking the section 2 :biggrin:
Reply 3955
Original post by cz100
After a particularly horrible biology test, I'm beginning to wonder if it'll be bye bye medicine.

Don't worry if it was a hard test then the boundaries will be low :cool:
Reply 3956
I have the oppurtunity to go to Lesotho , to visit , to help and go to a link school over there. Also to go to HIV clinic, orphanage, school and hospital. Going with a group of people some who have been a few time before and have friend out there and we take supplies.
BUT we are going october half term which is the week ending in Sunday the 27th of October and the BMAT is the 2nd of november. Should I go any way and do work on the plane and in the evenings or is it stupid ?

I've got 7A*'s and 2A's and i'm thinking of applying to oxford.

Like the course structure, will go for it if i feel like doing so/confident.

either that or imperial.

:smile: if i get four rejections, then lets do it. i'm going with my heart now.

if i don't make the BMAT, they still select 10% of students solely on the basis of other elements

:smile: ^^ one BMAT uni though, because it's a big risk.

low chance of success, massive risk, what are we waiting for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cz100

There's no mountain to great. Here these words and have faith
(I can get away with that joke, cos I am of the asian brethren also) :ninjagirl:

Ooh, where did you live before? :beard: What attracted you to England? (apart from the "failsians" :lol:)

You have it lucky mate, there's loadsa idiot rudeboi asian gangstazz where I live :colonhash:

Oh haha :laugh:

I used to live in NYC (Manhattan). Family things brought me to London lol. Actually, that's exactly what my area is like :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending