The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04ghicks
I did those two questions...

And I only need a low C to get an A over all...

...are we related? :eek:

and me ! this is too much to be merely coincidence, it must have been pre-determined :wink: hahaa did you do ethics as well ?
Reply 941
Original post by max the noob
Question 1 and 2 of Philosophy as well + Only need a low C for the A.... weird... but an awsome paper :tongue:

question 1 and 2 for philosophy, need a high D for an A. wish it was slightly more so I could be in this group! :tongue:

for the soul question i went for:
plato and chariot analogy
descartes, epiphonominalism and interactionism
ryle criticism
dawkins
aristotle

wanted to stick idealism in but didn't think it was worth it.

for language:
early wittgenstein
logical positivim
ayer and verification
falsification and criticisms
late wittgenstein

felt very rushed for the 2nd but hope i went ok! forgot to mention ayer's direct and indirect verification but other than that i'm pretty happy :smile:
Reply 942
Did anyone do the 'visions aren't caused by God, they're caused by science" philosophy question?? what did you include?
Original post by skygirl999
For philosophy I did something similar and only mentioned the falsification and the verification principles...I think perhaps they will have only have expected us to focus on a couple of theories, because otherwise that question encompassed the entirety of the religious language section.

Philosophy
i spent ages chatting on about verificationism, the weak and the stong, falsification and bliks, the parable of the university student. mitchell and the partisan and the stranger. then realised time was of the essence and i hadn't manage to add in about myths, symbols, analogies so briefly looked over that, mentioned univocal and equivocal language, that paul tillich used the flag, and about peter cole saying they deepen our experience and intuition of god rather than lead to unbelief and scepticism yardy yardy yarhh ! butt.. i FORGOT to put in about 'the grounded being' as i was rushing through lack of time :/

i also did the soul question, talked about dualism and monism, and dawkins darwinsim on genese and the covenant between god and abraham verifying it. i also said an after life proves it's distinct, but that was more desperation for a variety of points ! think i allso mentioned the eschatological aspect and so the wicked are punished in god so the idea of the sould being distinct from the body supports the view of an afterlife. i mention reincarnation, but not the kerygma thing, couldn't remember what it was or where to fit it in :/ i managed to get the epicurus quote about death being of no concern in there too !

Ethics

then for ethics i did free will and determinsim, think it was a bit of a disjointed essay but we shall see ! and the meta-ethics one, and spoke of the is-ought gap, gave an explanation of emotivism, put in about prescriptivism, and mentioned intuitionism. and put in the odd quote here and there.

my problem is always timing ! i get to carried away on the first question and don't leave enough time for the second :/ but i only need a low c to keep my a, so i'm confident i got it :smile:
Original post by Katie1404
question 1 and 2 for philosophy, need a high D for an A. wish it was slightly more so I could be in this group! :tongue:

for the soul question i went for:
plato and chariot analogy
descartes, epiphonominalism and interactionism
ryle criticism
dawkins
aristotle

wanted to stick idealism in but didn't think it was worth it.

for language:
early wittgenstein
logical positivim
ayer and verification
falsification and criticisms
late wittgenstein

felt very rushed for the 2nd but hope i went ok! forgot to mention ayer's direct and indirect verification but other than that i'm pretty happy :smile:

damn ! didn''t mention ryles :/ also i think i got hick's replica theory wrong, i said it was him who gave the example about new york and london :s-smilie: soo not right ! but hopefully the other stuff i've mentioned will make up for it.
Original post by purplefrog
wooo! just came home from philosophy paper and ethics paper
I thought the philosophy paper was brilliant and the ethics wasn't bad by any means :smile:

I did the following questions with the following points - feel free to discuss and give feedback:

Philosophy Q1) Rel lang is meaningless

Spoiler

Q2) Body/Soul are distinct

Spoiler

Ethics: Q1) Ethical language:

Spoiler

Q2) responsibility over actions

Spoiler

got 200/200 last year so only need to get a C on the dot to get an A. However, i really hope I could be in the running for an A* this time. either way, hopefully, that's a grade A guaranteed.

How did everybody else find it?

you got 200 ums last year, WOW ! that really is impressive :smile: i got 196 and was amazed with that, but 200, you've clearly put me in my place :P hahaa ! hope you've kept your a* :smile: do you have any idea what the percents may be for the 90 ums ?
Original post by Anna Louise
you got 200 ums last year, WOW ! that really is impressive :smile: i got 196 and was amazed with that, but 200, you've clearly put me in my place :P hahaa ! hope you've kept your a* :smile: do you have any idea what the percents may be for the 90 ums ?

Given the papers went well, and virtually everyone I've spoken to liked it, would say perhaps 61-63/70 for 90% UMS.
Going by the previous two exams, the 90% conversion point for Philosophy was 57 and 58 (jan 11 and june 10) out of 70 and for Ethics it was 61 and 58 out of 70.
Thought both exams were fairly brilliant :smile: philosophy was by far the best philosophy paper i have ever seen!!! Ethics was ok too i guess... had a major fit when i saw it was extra-martial sex and not homosexuality could have cried considering all we done in lessons was about homosexuality :angry: but oh well i thought it was brilliant!!

I think i wrote too much though...about six pages per essay? what do you think?

Can anyone tell me the grade boundaries to get an A and A* please? Would be much appreciated.

Hope my chemistry paper is as nice... :/
... I managed to miss the phrase 'deep ecology' from environmental ethics, in addition to my brilliant 'forget about Gilbert Ryles while addressing Descartes on the soul'. :banghead: I am truly a special kind of stupid.
Reply 949
For the visions arent caused by god its caused by science i wrote about the diff types of experience then the diff types of vision exp then i mostly wrote about swinburne and alston being veridical then the psyiological and psychological arguments..is this right?
Original post by Pseudopsycho
Thought both exams were fairly brilliant :smile: philosophy was by far the best philosophy paper i have ever seen!!! Ethics was ok too i guess... had a major fit when i saw it was extra-martial sex and not homosexuality could have cried considering all we done in lessons was about homosexuality :angry: but oh well i thought it was brilliant!!

I think i wrote too much though...about six pages per essay? what do you think?

Can anyone tell me the grade boundaries to get an A and A* please? Would be much appreciated.

Hope my chemistry paper is as nice... :/

You can lose roughly 7-10 marks per question and still get an A overall for the paper. you need to be in the high 50s to vaguely stand a chance of an A*
I was so happy with the philosophy questions, especially considering how worried i was about it!

I did religious language (1) and talked about:
Ayer and the Vienna Circle
Verification theory (+criticisms)
Popper + Falsification (+John Wisdom's Parable of the Gardener with analysis from Flew)
Via Negative
Aquinas' Analogy of Proportion and Attribution
Wittgenstein's Language Games

Body-Soul distinction (2):
Plato's dualism (+chariot analogy)
Descartes
Christianity resurrection
Aristotle
Hick's replica theory
not sure I evaluated or analysed enough...

Only thing I'm worried about now is that the grade boundaries will be really high because it sounds like so many people did the same questions!

Ethics I thought was harder but I think the questions were fair, just a bit narrow within the topics. I did:

Meta Ethics:
Emotivism
Ayer and Stevenson
Naturalism (and the criticisms of Naturalistic Fallacy and Moore's Open Question Technique)
Aquinas, Bentham and Kant
Hume's Law
Intuitionism
G.E.Moore
Perscriptivism (R.M Hare)

I think it went quite well but I don't know if I've done enough to get the A I want.. wrote about 4 sides for each and finished all the essays (for like the first time ever) but I didn't do enough AO2..
You can lose roughly 7-10 marks per question and still get an A overall for the paper. you need to be in the high 50s to vaguely stand a chance of an A*

Thanks :smile: just need to do the maths-y part now and figure it out....shouldn't be too hard :biggrin:
Given the papers went well, and virtually everyone I've spoken to liked it, would say perhaps 61-63/70 for 90% UMS.
Going by the previous two exams, the 90% conversion point for Philosophy was 57 and 58 (jan 11 and june 10) out of 70 and for Ethics it was 61 and 58 out of 70.

okay, thank you :smile: i'm praying i've kept it ! my only problem is timing, meaning my essays can get a bit disjointed :/ but hey, ho, as long as i get an A at least i'm happy ! though the a* would be nice, just to feel a little superior and distinguished from all the other a grade students out there :P hahaa ! but yeahh,. what's your uni offer ? do they specify an a* ?
Reply 954
Original post by j_09
Did anyone do the 'visions aren't caused by God, they're caused by science" philosophy question?? what did you include?

For the visions arent caused by god its caused by science i wrote about the diff types of experience then the diff types of vision exp then i mostly wrote about swinburne and alston being veridical then the psyiological and psychological arguments..is this right?
Reply 955
I found out that my withdrawal request from A2 Ethics had infact gone through, only to be informed this morning before my exam, after I spent the whole day revising Ethics yesterday... FML.

So I only did A2 Philosophy - Which was lovely, I did Q1 and Q3, I wasn't as strong on Q3 as I was on Q1, nevertheless I hope I got my B overall.

If I did Ethics, I would of failed, I heard that my person worst topics came up lol. Well done everyone though. :h:
Reply 956
Original post by chigzy29

That sounds right! I wrote a bit about religious experiences, bit about swinburne and then some criticisms. I also wrote about psychological and physiological arguments, but found it really hard to link to science :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 957
Original post by Anna Louise
and me ! this is too much to be merely coincidence, it must have been pre-determined :wink: hahaa did you do ethics as well ?

Sneaky little reference there :P

No I just did philosophy, I did ethics in Jan :smile:
i used tiger woods as an example in the extramarital sex question LOL :smile:
Hi all,

I'm new here so apologies if I don't manage to grasp the right ways of posting but just a quick comment:

Cool exam today, I think philosophy went better that ethics... but here's my question - I'm intrigued about how people know what they need to get As this year, like saying "Need a low C to get an A" - can I ask you what I need?

I got 87 for Ethics and 89 for Philosophy (both an A grade) at AS, so any ideas what I had to get in the exam earlier today?

Thanks, and well done everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending