The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Please could someone help me to understand why the reaction is first order for [C2H4] in experiments 2&3 in the first question? Do you just add the amounts which [O3] and [C2H4] have increased by seeing as the rate increases at the same time?

And also how to work out the initial rate of formation of O2 in the specimen paper? I don't understand where the 4 has come from in the mark scheme :s

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/assess_mat/ocr_7770_sam_gce_unit_f325.pdf
Reply 841
Okay, I'm trying to create a list of colours/ shapes / angles we need to memorise. So far I have :

Colours:
Adding NaoH
Co(2+) ---> Pink solution. Forms a blue precipitate that can turn beige in the air.
Fe (2+) ---> Pale green solution. Forms green precipitate that an turn rusty brown in air
Fe (3+) ---> Pale yellow solution. Forms a rusty brown precipitate

Ligand substituion
Adding Nh3 to [Cu(h20)6] ---> Pale blue precipitate forms. Sultion turns deep blue

Bond angles and shapes (' = degrees)
6 ligands is generally octahedral 90'
4 ligands is generally tetrahedral 109.5'
If a 4 ligand complex ion is Platinum or Nickel, it is usually square planar 90'

Have I missed anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 842
after flopping biology, i now have to ace this or bye bye future :frown:
Original post by Vidja
Okay, I'm trying to create a list of colours/ shapes / angles we need to memorise. So far I have :

Colours:
Adding NaoH
Co(2+) ---> Pink solution. Forms a blue precipitate that can turn beige in the air.
Fe (2+) ---> Pale green solution. Forms green precipitate that an turn rusty brown in air
Fe (3+) ---> Pale yellow solution. Forms a rusty brown precipitate

Ligand substituion
Adding Nh3 to [Cu(h20)6] ---> Pale blue precipitate forms. Sultion turns deep blue

Bond angles and shapes (' = degrees)
6 ligands is generally octahedral 90'
4 ligands is generally tetrahedral 109.5'
If a 4 ligand complex ion is Platinum or Nickel, it is usually square planar 90'

Have I missed anything?

With NaOH:

Cu2+ --> pale blue solution goes to a blue precipitate.

Ligand substitution:

[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- --> [CuCl4]2- + 6H2O
going from pale blue solution to a yellow solution

[Co(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- --> [CoCl4]2- + 6H2O
going from pink solution to blue solution

[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4NH3 --> [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]2+ + 4H2O
going from pale blue solution to pale blue precipitate with dark blue solution (know you had that but need to know how to balance it)

[Co(H2O)6]2+ + 6NH3 --> [Cu(NH3)6]2+ + 6H2O
going from pink solution to a brown solution

Not entirely sure about that last one since it depends on the text book whether it's there (it's in the CGP book).
At least we know for this that most things will come up, whereas for Biology, OCR were c*nts
Reply 845
OCR F215 biology was an absolute nightmare, i have a 2hr 30min geog exam tomorrow and chem on wednesday. Motivation has reached an all time low
Original post by fahimak
just had the ocr biology F215 exam and it went really bad :s-smilie::frown:
cant motivate myself to even try and revise for chemistry :frown:

Original post by 786girl
after flopping biology, i now have to ace this or bye bye future :frown:

Original post by Wor Carroll
At least we know for this that most things will come up, whereas for Biology, OCR were c*nts

Original post by NWA
OCR F215 biology was an absolute nightmare, i have a 2hr 30min geog exam tomorrow and chem on wednesday. Motivation has reached an all time low

You OCR biologists sound like us Edexcel SNAB biologists in January, you'll really be surprised with the results. Just by looking at the general consensus here it was a nightmare, so try to pick yourselves up for Chem! Best advice I can give.
Reply 847
Original post by haydyb123
You OCR biologists sound like us Edexcel SNAB biologists in January, you'll really be surprised with the results. Just by looking at the general consensus here it was a nightmare, so try to pick yourselves up for Chem! Best advice I can give.

I got PMed about question 6d on Jan '11 paper, this is my best attempt at trying to explain, excuse the poor arrow drawing.

Completely agree :lol: although it was a nightmare and it stayed that way for me :colondollar:.

Cheers! I only need around 75 UMS for an A in Biology, but after that paper I still don't feel that confident that I got enough :s-smilie:
Original post by blush.ox
Completely agree :lol: although it was a nightmare and it stayed that way for me :colondollar:.

Damn I'm sure you'll destroy the resit though :wink:
Original post by Wor Carroll
Cheers! I only need around 75 UMS for an A in Biology, but after that paper I still don't feel that confident that I got enough :s-smilie:

You always tend to look on the bad side of exams, so you never know, could be pleasantly surprised! :smile:
Can anyone help on this question (3c i) on this legacy paper on how the sharp rise is at approx 33.3cm3?
Damn I'm sure you'll destroy the resit though :wink:

Just sat it today, dont think i did :teehee:
Original post by blush.ox
Just sat it today, dont think i did :teehee:

how was it? What came up?
Original post by thesimpsons
Can anyone help on this question (3c i) on this legacy paper on how the sharp rise is at approx 33.3cm3?

I'm not entirely sure on this either I normally would draw the sharp rise at 25cm3 lol.. I think it's to do with the different in moles of the weak acid and strong base. If you find out let me know :P
Reply 857
its 0.025dm3 of acid of 0.02 mol dm3 so thats 0.02x0.025moles of acid, and then you're adding the base, so you divide whatever number you get for the moles of acid by the concentration of the base, to give you the volume of base required, which equals 33.3cm3 which is why the sharp rise is there.
Original post by thesimpsons

Ok so the the 33.3 is when pH has gone through 7 and neutralisation has happened
We do 0.02 x (25/1000) = 5x10^-4 = moles of ethanoic acid
As the mole ratio of the reaction has to be 1:1 for ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide there also has to be 5x10^-4 moles of NaOH

We do 5x10^-4 / 0.015 = 0.0333333 dm3

0.033dm3 x 1000 = 33.333333 cm3
So we need 33.3 cm3 of NaOH to neutralise the ethanoic acid, this is why the graph shoots up at 33.3
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anybody have a good resource for these
Transition metal colours in varying oxidation states
Summary of all reaction of transition metals including colour changes
Summary of acid - alkali, acid - metal, acid - carbonate reactions

I just want to print this stuff off and stick it in my room

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending