The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by entertheOJI
Same. I go to school where 18 students got 80+ UMS in January. Everybody found it hard. This exam paper was something else. I believe no one who says the paper was easy/fine/ok. It wasn't. I got 83/90 in January, I am a Biology veteran and after doing that exam all i want to do is lay in bed...thinking of what could have been.

But it was fine. There were no particularly challenging questions.
Original post by jetmanchandi
my teacher told me that succession, ecosystems, speciation, nitrogen cycle and chi-squared test are almost guaranteed to come up

that was so accurate...is your teacher involved in the examining process? :wink:
The only marks I know I have are the 7 marks on tissue culture.
Almost everything else was hell. Literally.

I need a D/C to get a B ( which is what I'm not aiming for after that freakshow of horrors)

I didn't even get the answer to the first question. Nitrogen. ****ing nitrogen. I skipped that. So sure it wouldn't come up. ****ing nitrogen ARGH!
Reply 3123
Original post by susan23
so whats the rule for an A* then? Is it 90% raaw or 90% UMS?

if you are thinking about the boundary for the A* you are better off than the majority of people in this thread I need an A from this or its good bye medical school.

I had 87% UMS in the rest of my A level so I only need something like 72% on this paper, If I get that 72% I will be so happy that I won't even burn down the OCR headquarters... maybe
Its so ironic that the first post of this thread clearly hints us that the xam will focus on ecology stuff!! LOL
Reply 3125
Started off as a fairly reasonable paper I thought, the nitrogen question was fine.
However, after realising I was writing exactly the same thing for all my answers in the rest of the paper, I got seriously annoyed with OCR!!
I worked so hard for this, learned every single enzyme for every single process... I don't think any of them came up.
Where was all the muscle and brain stuff?
I always used to wonder why universities don't specifically ask for biology for medicine courses. now it's just become obvious...

the 11 mark question could either have been very good or very bad. I don't think I used anything like enough key words, I didn't go into all the different types of learned behaviour- the question asked was a bit vague/ ambiguous
Reply 3126
Original post by mortysteve
But it was fine. There were no particularly challenging questions.

That's what I didn't like about it, what about all the people who worked their asses off who are now at the same level as people who did no work at all, because there was so much common sense involved?
I should know, I hardly worked at all and it seemed fine, surely that isn't supposed to happen
Original post by 2141
Stop codons don't have an amino acid.

Yeah your right. Look what OCR have done to me :biggrin:
Original post by slacker07906
Expecting the lowest boundaries ever seen in the history of exams

thats a sure thing...the lowest ever grade boundaries in the history of an OCR exam...hedgehogs:eek:
Haha, just a thought, what if the OCR examiners were just reading this thread along and seeing which topics students hate then put it on the paper!
xD
Original post by susan23
so whats the rule for an A* then? Is it 90% raaw or 90% UMS?

90% ums!
Original post by intellectual1
thats a sure thing...the lowest ever grade boundaries in the history of an OCR exam...hedgehogs:eek:

OMGROFLLOLLMAOPMSL

It's like a draw back to the 'seal' epidemic again.

:biggrin:
Original post by Flugel

the 11 mark question could either have been very good or very bad. I don't think I used anything like enough key words, I didn't go into all the different types of learned behaviour- the question asked was a bit vague/ ambiguous

Exactly cos they are soo much and not every one of them has an advantage you could relate it to, I only said 3. Which ones did you say??
Reply 3133
guys i need 70 UMS marks for a C in biology, i think thats 35/100 for this paper right?
Original post by Jhyzone
Haha, just a thought, what if the OCR examiners were just reading this thread along and seeing which topics students hate then put it on the paper!
xD

Lol I thaught that a few days ago. I could just imagine them sitting with a glass or wine/champagne and laughing at everyones comments :P
Someone please compare answers? :colondollar:

What did people write for the question that said "WHAT MAKES XXXX MORE VALID?

I wrote repeating several times and taking an average......

And for the transect question i said belt or something becsuse you can see the change in distribution/abundance over time??

fml
Original post by abc:)
That's what I didn't like about it, what about all the people who worked their asses off who are now at the same level as people who did no work at all, because there was so much common sense involved?
I should know, I hardly worked at all and it seemed fine, surely that isn't supposed to happen

I know what you mean. I hadn't done work 3 weeks prior to the exam. Just spent a few hours the day before the exam.

It was mostly common sense. It was mostly the same with the January biology paper, imo. A lot of "suggest" questions, or questions given with all the information you need to answer.
Original post by ManPowa
I put substitution/point mutation.. Although many people go 'silent mutation', cos you had to look at the diagram.. and the change would result in the same amino acid.

yeah i put exactly that too.

i didn't think to check it on that circle diagram though which you could have done
Reply 3138
Original post by slacker07906
Hello, everybody :smile: This may seem a bit early, but for the more eager student's this could be a beneficial time to share important revision technique's and any additional information you would like to share.

I know for me, I need a B in biology! And Im scared I won't get it to so have started revising. On ecosystem's at the moment.

Im sure many of you have started revision, so lets share the misery :cool:

all that eagerness for nothing! :frown:
Reply 3139
Original post by b o y
The QWC mark questions was not bad. But the rest? *horrible*

I literally facepalm myself 3 times during the exam

yeah the nitrogen cycle and the hardy principle was majorly ****ed.. hopefully everyone's done **** so grade boundries will be kind to us :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending