The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeeMee
I haven't asked my teacher yet but I'm most likely going to ask my 8th/9th grade German teacher whom I don't have anymore but who of all teachers knows me best and will write the nicest things :smile: Plus I think he's one of the few teachers at my school who has an idea of what the reference is supposed to look like so yeah.

I'll be staying at Hertford on the 5th, go to the open day on the 6th, and go to the PPE subject open day on the 7th, and on all days look around other colleges. I haven't completely decided what college I'll apply to yet, but probably St John's or Hertford. Whichever I like best on October 15th I suppose :biggrin:

Oh that's great, I wish I had a teacher who has known me for such a long time, but I changed school so I'm going to ask my Economics teacher. I don't know whether he knows how a reference should look like but I will explain it to him and give him some material :biggrin: Are you planning to ask him before summer vacation? Or after? I don't knwo whether I should bother him with this during the summer vacation :biggrin:

I just chose Merton College because the way they introduced themselves in the undergraduate prospectus seemed the nicest out of all :biggrin: But I heard Merton College is one of the academicly strongest Colleges out of all... So that scares me a little bit as I don't think I am a genius or something :biggrin:
But maybe we will see each other during the Open day if you choose to take a look at merton college you gotta let me kno :wink:
Original post by Reminisce

I'm sure I was on the list in the first post, but I seem to have disappeared, so when you have time:

Username: anyone_can_fly
SG/Int 2: 5 1s, 2 Int 2 As and A in higher maths
Highers: Maths (AH), Physics, French, History, Music
Advanced Highers: Physics, French, Statistics
Subject: Mathematics!
College: Probably Merton

:smile:
Hey guys, should I apply for the open day? I was planning to, and then decided to dramatically drop all my Oxford plans and give up... but now IDK!?!?!??!!?
GCSEs (aren't that great for an english/Oxford applicant) A*A*A*AAAAAABB
A2 predictions likely to be:
Drama: A*
R.S:A*
Eng Lit: A/A*
Spanish: B/A
General Studies: A.

I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE A CHANCE OR NOT!?!? AHHHHH FECK.
Reply 1083
Original post by nightmare91
Oh that's great, I wish I had a teacher who has known me for such a long time, but I changed school so I'm going to ask my Economics teacher. I don't know whether he knows how a reference should look like but I will explain it to him and give him some material :biggrin: Are you planning to ask him before summer vacation? Or after? I don't knwo whether I should bother him with this during the summer vacation :biggrin:

I just chose Merton College because the way they introduced themselves in the undergraduate prospectus seemed the nicest out of all :biggrin: But I heard Merton College is one of the academicly strongest Colleges out of all... So that scares me a little bit as I don't think I am a genius or something :biggrin:
But maybe we will see each other during the Open day if you choose to take a look at merton college you gotta let me kno :wink:

Most likely before summer break because I live in Ba-Wü and we only get back to school in mid-September which would kind of be really close to the deadline. I'll just tell him that I would like him to write it, then give him all the details I want to be included before summer break and check back with him after.

Since I never got the undergrad prospectus even though I ordered it twice and they sent me an e-mail asking for my address again since something was wrong with it in their sytstem... Oh well. Maybe I can pick one up at the open day. Are you only staying in Oxford till the 6th or are you gonna be there on the 7th as well?
If I decide to check out Merton I'll let you know :smile:
Original post by MeeMee
Most likely before summer break because I live in Ba-Wü and we only get back to school in mid-September which would kind of be really close to the deadline. I'll just tell him that I would like him to write it, then give him all the details I want to be included before summer break and check back with him after.

Since I never got the undergrad prospectus even though I ordered it twice and they sent me an e-mail asking for my address again since something was wrong with it in their sytstem... Oh well. Maybe I can pick one up at the open day. Are you only staying in Oxford till the 6th or are you gonna be there on the 7th as well?
If I decide to check out Merton I'll let you know :smile:

Ah you're from Ba-Wü.. I am from SH/Hamburg and our summer vacation starts at the end of June. So I would still have time if I asked my teacher after the vacation I guess. But I don't know :biggrin:

Yea it was kind of difficult to even fill out this form of the undergraduate prospectus xD So I didn't know how to do that but some on TSR explained that it should be like first your housenumber, then street etc. So a different order than we have over here :biggrin: But I did receive the prospectus, it's pretty :biggrin: and it did help me to chose a college :smile:) BTW what Leistungskurse do you have?

May I ask whether you have some backup choices if you don't get into Oxford since it's sooo damn competitive... :smile:
Reply 1085
Original post by AlexusWelsh1993
Hey guys, should I apply for the open day? I was planning to, and then decided to dramatically drop all my Oxford plans and give up... but now IDK!?!?!??!!?

Your grades are good enough that you should be able to make a competitive application, so apply if you want to.
Reply 1086
Original post by nightmare91
Ah you're from Ba-Wü.. I am from SH/Hamburg and our summer vacation starts at the end of June. So I would still have time if I asked my teacher after the vacation I guess. But I don't know :biggrin:

Yea it was kind of difficult to even fill out this form of the undergraduate prospectus xD So I didn't know how to do that but some on TSR explained that it should be like first your housenumber, then street etc. So a different order than we have over here :biggrin: But I did receive the prospectus, it's pretty :biggrin: and it did help me to chose a college :smile:) BTW what Leistungskurse do you have?

May I ask whether you have some backup choices if you don't get into Oxford since it's sooo damn competitive... :smile:

Yeah I did that, I think the thing I did wrong was to enter Baden-Württemberg because I read somewhere that you're supposed to enter your state as well, and I think they had trouble with the Umlaut (So does UCAS btw, I couldn't enter the name of my elementary school properly, it has an ö in it, had to change it to oe).

We don't have LKs. We have 5 4-stündige Kurse, which are like LKs I suppose and then a bunch of 2stündige that would then be GKs. We all have to do Math and German, I do English, French and History in French as well. I'm doing something called the Abi-Bac which is the Abitur and the French Baccalaureat...
Original post by BJack
Your grades are good enough that you should be able to make a competitive application, so apply if you want to.

I don't think my GCSEs are though...? I had predictions which were a lot higher, and unfortunately just had a bit of a bad run around exam time I think :frown: It would be a shame if they overshadowed my a levels. If I get all As, I'll apply, but I pretty much screwed Spanish ahh it was horrible even though I did loads of revision.. I'm hoping for atleast a B! Ahh :frown: Also contemplating a gap year :/ If applying to Oxford was just a matter of 'if you want to' and I wasn't using a UCAS slot/having to put in my PS early/do an entrance exam then I would obviously do so :L
I want to do English Lit btw, which is extremely competitive!
I want to do English Lit btw, which is extremely competitive!

Everything is competitive dear. In fact MORE competitive in other universities. You might aswell die trying (not actually die obvs) or regret it later

p.s. It's actually English Lit + Lang. Oxford doesn't do seperate degrees
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Everything is competitive dear. In fact MORE competitive in other universities. You might aswell die trying (not actually die obvs) or regret it later

Well yes, I'll try not to die. I'm just going to wing it.

And yeah I know :L I've done lots of research! I thinks there's only one paper called 'the english language' anyway, it's mostly literature based. Also, what is everyone's opinions on English and Spanish? I'm interested in that too, and if I hadn't recently screwed the exam I'd be looking into that! :frown: x
Can't quite be bothered to quote, so my response...

My Extended Project is a play which I am directing and casting myself. It doesn't sound like much, but unless you have directed a Shakespeare play with only about six weeks of rehearsals (7.30 every morning, fabulous) all yourself, you will not know how much time that swallows. I know normally people write a 5000 word dissertation but I have no idea what I have to do. I'm just going with it.

Erm, if I get anything less than aabb (at the very least) I will probably have to redo the year -PLEASEGODNO- so I'm really hoping I get at least aaab.

Oxford still managed to be beautiful in the rain- ohmygosh, did you guys SEE that mental downpour that lasted all yesterday!? Crazy! Plus South West Trains decided they fancied a spot of engineering work, so my 1.5 hour journey ended up taking 3.5 hours. I was outside for a lot of that. In a skirt. It was pouring and COLD. And I'm now single and a little heartbroken. Also lost my favourite book as well as an almost full packet of lovehearts, so annoyed!

We're starting Enduring Love in Lit which ... wait for it ... is set in Oxford. I probably won't want to look at it ever again if I don't get in!

How do you START a personal statement!? Like, the first sentence!? I've bullet pointed it but can't WRITE it :frown:

Also loving the little German community here. Hey, I'm studying EHEC at college :biggrin:
Reply 1092
I don't think my GCSEs are though...?

I thought it would be clear from my post and your limited selection of grades on show that I meant your GCSE grades are fine....

Be careful not to confuse having more applicants per place with being more competitive. Yes, Durham gets more applicants per place for English than Oxford or Cambridge (probably more than both combined, I would have thought) but that doesn't mean it's easier to get in to Oxford than some of these other places with more applicants, and it's how hard it is to get in that really determines how competitive it is.
Original post by BJack

Be careful not to confuse having more applicants per place with being more competitive. Yes, Durham gets more applicants per place for English than Oxford or Cambridge (probably more than both combined, I would have thought) but that doesn't mean it's easier to get in to Oxford than some of these other places with more applicants, and it's how hard it is to get in that really determines how competitive it is.

Yes, but that requires me wasting another minute of my life, and taking up another paragraph (not to sound patronizing or anything)
Original post by such_a_lady
Can't quite be bothered to quote, so my response...

My Extended Project is a play which I am directing and casting myself. It doesn't sound like much, but unless you have directed a Shakespeare play with only about six weeks of rehearsals (7.30 every morning, fabulous) all yourself, you will not know how much time that swallows. I know normally people write a 5000 word dissertation but I have no idea what I have to do. I'm just going with it.
:biggrin:

My friend did the same thing! Not shakespeare though, it was Antigone in which she directed, re-wrote the script to make it hers and original and all that malarky. Good luck! do you know which play you're doing yet?

:smile: and in no way is that lesser than the dissertation! EPQ is about doing something outside of the curriculum that interests you! In fact, I think you'll find it might take longer than the essay. Good luck!
Original post by BJack
I thought it would be clear from my post and your limited selection of grades on show that I meant your GCSE grades are fine....

I was just surprised. Thanks for your response. Are you speaking from experience?
My friend did the same thing! Not shakespeare though, it was Antigone in which she directed, re-wrote the script to make it hers and original and all that malarky. Good luck! do you know which play you're doing yet?

:smile: and in no way is that lesser than the dissertation! EPQ is about doing something outside of the curriculum that interests you! In fact, I think you'll find it might take longer than the essay. Good luck!

Ah oui, d'accord, merci! Oui, je sais, c'est Much Ado About Nothing :smile: It's part of the Shakespeare Schools Festuval meaning we perform - they perform - at Leatherhead Theatre with three other schools THE NIGHT BEFORE THE OXFORD DEADLINE. Hectic! Auditions started today. It's part of GandT meaning my budget is amazing :biggrin:
Original post by such_a_lady
Ah oui, d'accord, merci! Oui, je sais, c'est Much Ado About Nothing :smile: It's part of the Shakespeare Schools Festuval meaning we perform - they perform - at Leatherhead Theatre with three other schools THE NIGHT BEFORE THE OXFORD DEADLINE. Hectic! Auditions started today. It's part of GandT meaning my budget is amazing :biggrin:

Ahh I see! ooo Leatherhead, that's kinda near my school (well ok its quite far but both in Surrey!).

Ah no ways! But I bet you'll probs send your app in waaay before the deadline! GandT? HOW AMAZING :frown: Lol My friend's budget = didn't actually exist. Costumes were made my mums out of bedding... oh yes. Sets donated by ART dept. Lol
I'm currently deciding whether or not to do an EPQ (had the guy running it try to sell it to me on Friday) - I know that it would improve my application, but I might not have the time (I'm down to do 5 subjects (Further Maths (2 option slots), Politics, History and AS German, so would have to do it over the summer and in my own time) - does anyone know how heavy the workload is and how much it actually makes you a more appealing candidate?
Ahh I see! ooo Leatherhead, that's kinda near my school (well ok its quite far but both in Surrey!).

Ah no ways! But I bet you'll probs send your app in waaay before the deadline! GandT? HOW AMAZING :frown: Lol My friend's budget = didn't actually exist. Costumes were made my mums out of bedding... oh yes. Sets donated by ART dept. Lol

Our school deadlines are pretty strict. Hence the current PS panicking. Where is your school?

Original post by dragonmeister
I'm currently deciding whether or not to do an EPQ (had the guy running it try to sell it to me on Friday) - I know that it would improve my application, but I might not have the time (I'm down to do 5 subjects (Further Maths (2 option slots), Politics, History and AS German, so would have to do it over the summer and in my own time) - does anyone know how heavy the workload is and how much it actually makes you a more appealing candidate?

Apparently you have to do loads of questionnaires and things. I'm only doing it because I happen to be able to submit the play as an EP- I've intended to do a play for a very long time, I'm just lucky I can kill the proverbial birds with one stone.

Latest

Trending

Trending