The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by Kerry92

Original post by Kerry92
yeah same i really hope it comes up! not because its the best topic in the world but just because i am going over it loads!!

ok cool thanks!

haha me too! what other topics are you doing?
Reply 741
Original post by monkajanik
For Frustration-Aggression I've put that frustration doesn't always lead to aggression, and Berkowitz has adapted the model to include aggressive cues in the environment that may make it more likely that individual will behave aggressively. Also, you can use lynching cases, such as Sam Hose to support the model, as he was not a threat to the community, but the lynching took place in times of social and economic tension, and therefore he was used as a 'scapegoat'. You can then criticise it that it uses secondary materials (such as newspaper reports) rather than systematic observations and it has negative social implications - as crowds are labelled as irrational and dangerous.

Hope that helps :smile: x

Thank you so, so much. :biggrin:
Reply 742
anyone doing sleep here?
Reply 743
kinda stuck on the nature of sleep.. the cardwell and flanagan book doesn't really have anything here :\
Original post by MVD_02
tbh I have more AO1 points on meat but not many evaluative! what evaluative points do u have taste averision?

There's a study by Garcia et al who found that rats who were made ill by radiation shortly after eating developed an aversion to the food, supporting the concept of aversion. Though you can get an IDA point out of it, saying that it can also potentially be explaned by a behaviourist explanation of classical conditioning, & then move to perhaps its best to combine these two explanations to fully explain taste aversion (ie how it happens & why is best to maintain an aversion)

do you reckon its valid to say that evolution cannot really explain why food preference changes throughout your life :/ i'm sure there could be a point there, but i dont know how to make it :/
Reply 745
yeahh I just read that one.. added it on my notes, but I dno how u would evaluate it apart from the obvious that they used animals in the study! well this study supports the idea of taste aversion - that the animals do learn to avoid the food as they had been ill because of it?!
you could also talk about the link between food and odour so for example once our ancestors had eaten poisoned food, they knew how to avoid it because of the odour?
Can somebody please shake me and get into my head that I need to start my revision?!?!?!!?

Ugh :frown:
Original post by MVD_02
yeahh I just read that one.. added it on my notes, but I dno how u would evaluate it apart from the obvious that they used animals in the study! well this study supports the idea of taste aversion - that the animals do learn to avoid the food as they had been ill because of it?!
you could also talk about the link between food and odour so for example once our ancestors had eaten poisoned food, they knew how to avoid it because of the odour?

simplying mentioning the study in an evaluative way will give you A02, ie the concept of taste aversion is supported by Garcia et al..., then the typical however the extrapolation of results might not be fully approprate, however it is unethical to conduct a study like this upon humans (more IDA)

thats a good point :smile: thanks
Reply 748
Original post by MVD_02
haha me too! what other topics are you doing?

doing sleep and relationships...then research methods, phobias and media for unit 4! what about you?
Reply 749
Original post by sweet&petitee

simplying mentioning the study in an evaluative way will give you A02, ie the concept of taste aversion is supported by Garcia et al..., then the typical however the extrapolation of results might not be fully approprate, however it is unethical to conduct a study like this upon humans (more IDA)

thats a good point :smile: thanks

yeahh exactly! fingers crossed we ace it!
Reply 750
Original post by Kerry92

Original post by Kerry92
doing sleep and relationships...then research methods, phobias and media for unit 4! what about you?

sleep, eat disorder and aggression :smile:
got a C in jan for unit 4 but im retaking!! doing schiz and media and research methods :smile:
Original post by MVD_02
yeahh exactly! fingers crossed we ace it!

yep!! fingers crossed eh :smile:
Reply 752
Original post by teaandcoffee

Original post by teaandcoffee
Can somebody please shake me and get into my head that I need to start my revision?!?!?!!?

Ugh :frown:

wow seriously start it today!! you got 4 days left! you need to make sure u remember all the studies and points :\
Reply 753

yep!! fingers crossed eh :smile:

really hope it comes up though, because I'm spending more time revision that bit for eating disorders!
Reply 754
I know there's predicting for Evolutionary in terms of Eating... Anything else?

As for Neuro/Genetics, etc and Group Displays for Aggression, hope they come up. Did 2 practice essays today and felt pretty good about them :biggrin:
After listing all of the studies I should know for ALL of the topics together, I've added them up and there's 70 of them... Do you have any tips on how to memorise them? I'm really struggling...
My topics are:
Biological rhythms and sleep (disrupting bio. rhythms, nature of sleep, insomnia)
Relationships (sexual selection, early/adolescent exp.)
Aggression (lynch mobs, neural&hormonal)
(edited 12 years ago)
After listing all of the studies I should know for ALL of the topics together, I've added them up and there's 70 of them... Do you have any tips on how to memorise them? I'm really struggling...

i know that feeling, think mine total about 100. i find it really helpful to write them all down once or twice & then get someone to test me on them, either telling me the researcher or the study
I hope I'll get away with revising only these and rely on my memory if anything else comes up.
My topics are:
Biological rhythms and sleep (disrupting bio. rhythms, nature of sleep, insomnia)
Relationships (sexual selection, early/adolescent exp.)
Aggression (lynch mobs, neural&hormonal)

Ahhhhhhhh I learned an insane technique for memorising names like that. It's kind of a basic Loci system.

Basically mate, you create mental images, linking the names to the content, findings, anything else relevant, but make sure the images are vivid and different.

For instance, for the deprivation model of institutional aggression within prisons (Paterline & Peterson), what I have is Chris Griffin (Peter's son) Patting a line across the floor (Paterline), whilst crying about missing his dad (deprivation!). For the importation model (Irwin & Cressey), I have a piece of cress (Cressey) doing his own impression of Charlie sheen "Err winning" (Irwin), all on top of a big Ferry (Importation).

It may seem like a bit of work, but I actually find it a quite entertaining method of revision, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to recall the images, if you make them wierd enough! You can also link them together, so one could lead on to another, for intance the ferry could run into an island with Chris Griffin rocking back and forth etc.

Sorry about the essay aha, I'm quite passionate about this method of memorising stuff! :biggrin:
Reply 759
Original post by liamcol123
Regarding Herman and Macks experiment, basically they had a group of dieters, and a group of non dieters. They then gave both groups either a high calorie preload (a browine, or milkshake) or a low calorie preload (a cracker). A preload's just a snack thing before the experiment.

After this, they allowed both groups access to food, kind of like an experimental buffet, and found that when the non dieters were given a high preload, they didnt eat much at all, when they were given a low preload, they ate a lot of food.

Dieters on the other hand, when given the high pre load ate a lot more food than when given the low calorie preload, this shows that the dieters had lost their restraint over their eating, and just thought "Fu*k it, I've already had a brownie, lets go all out."

So yeah, Non dieters with low preload - Ate the most
Non dieters with high preload- didn't eat much
dieters with low preload- ate the least
dieters with high preload- ate a lot, well over the non dieter w/ high preload.

Hope that kinda helps, I was going by the 1975 study :smile:

You're an angel! Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending