The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by lgam_x
Hey guys,
I'm doing Energy & Superpowers for Section A, does anyone have any notes or examples I could use to back things up?
Kinda struggling and panicing!
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

i'm doing those too :smile:
here's some summary notes on superpowers: (hope they're helpful!)
Reply 321
Original post by abc-123
i'm doing those too :smile:
here's some summary notes on superpowers: (hope they're helpful!)

Thank you so much! I've just skim-read quickly and it's just what I need! :smile:
Thank you all SO much for these posts - I have learnt so much and feel a little bit more confident about the exam tomorrow. Good Luck to you all, you all deserve to do well! x
Reply 323
I've got a feeling that a question will be focussing on what are the future routes for the Maghreb because of the little signpost picture, but i would have no clue how to answer it :s-smilie: I know that Morocco have gone down the Europe route which links in with core periphery but what about the others?

thanks
Im scared of memory blanks on the actual exam! It's like you read the question and it freaks you out.
parallel examples anyone??

:smile:) ) )) )
Reply 326
My predictions/hopes

Maghreb
1) What are the barriers that are preventing economic growht
2) What ways are the region reducing the development gap
3) What are the envrionmental implications of the growht of the region
3) Is tourism an economically sustainable way for the future

Energy
What are future energy resources

Superpowers
what are the soc and envrionmental implications of the brics
Reply 327
Anyone know who funded the Vision 2010 (TNC or Internation Group?)

Anyone think there could be a superpowers question based solely on the theories of development?
Anyone have any ideas of how Maghreb fits in with Rostows model / dependancy theory etc ?

Oh and also https://sites.google.com/site/cambridgea2geography/home/synoptic scroll down there are loads of resources for Maghreb :smile:
Original post by fathead_09

I have not really placed much emphasis on parallel examples but I guess you could say Chinas development.

It has been highly unsustainable to the environment in many cases...did not use tourism however manufacturing. Therefore tourism may be a more sustainable approach?
Reply 331
Original post by kingoftv

3) Is tourism an economically sustainable way for the future

Superpowers

how would you go about answering these two?
for tourism i know you'd include things like multiplier effect, job opportunities, diversification of market etc. but how would you address the sustainable side of it?
and for the superpowers question would you just talk about them as emerging powers/what could you say about social/environmental aspects? :s-smilie:

thanks in advance x
Reply 332
Original post by kingoftv
My predictions/hopes

Superpowers

Isn't this question aimed more towards bridging the development gap especially with the social aspect of it?

How would you go about planning this question?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 333
Original post by fathead_09

Tourism -
Seasonal employment in Spain linked with potential employment in Morocco brought about by Plan Azur
Impacts of poor management/ leakages - Masai Mara again linked with Morocco

Sorry it's not much...

:bubbles:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheRockMaster
I have not really placed much emphasis on parallel examples but I guess you could say Chinas development.

It has been highly unsustainable to the environment in many cases...did not use tourism however manufacturing. Therefore tourism may be a more sustainable approach?

thank you so much for this
x

x
Reply 335
Original post by abc-123
how would you go about answering these two?
for tourism i know you'd include things like multiplier effect, job opportunities, diversification of market etc. but how would you address the sustainable side of it?
and for the superpowers question would you just talk about them as emerging powers/what could you say about social/environmental aspects? :s-smilie:

thanks in advance x

Bics question - Rich poor divide in india. Then cultural reach of the Brics. More people speaking chinese. People leaving the west to the east for jobs. Economies in the east dictating markets.

For environmental. 2 coal powers stations a week in china. India river pollution. 3 gorges. Deforestation in brazil.

For the other one i think it will be more like assess the sustainability of plan azur/tourism. So introduce Bruntlands theory then say how it is/isnt socially environmentally and economically sustainble. Then come to a conclusion. HTH
Reply 336
Original post by Maxgoodrum
Anyone have any ideas of how Maghreb fits in with Rostows model / dependancy theory etc ?

Oh and also https://sites.google.com/site/cambridgea2geography/home/synoptic scroll down there are loads of resources for Maghreb :smile:

Rostow's model we were told about Morocco and maybe Tunisia using tourism as their 'take off' to enable them to develop this industry and so further develop
Reply 337
Original post by ben05
Bics question - Rich poor divide in india. Then cultural reach of the Brics. More people speaking chinese. People leaving the west to the east for jobs. Economies in the east dictating markets.

For environmental. 2 coal powers stations a week in china. India river pollution. 3 gorges. Deforestation in brazil.

For the other one i think it will be more like assess the sustainability of plan azur/tourism. So introduce Bruntlands theory then say how it is/isnt socially environmentally and economically sustainble. Then come to a conclusion. HTH

Bruntlands theory? :confused: never heard of it? ahh, panic.
Reply 338
Original post by abc-123
Bruntlands theory? :confused: never heard of it? ahh, panic.

Bruntlands work "Our common future" in 1980 i think. First described what "sustainbaility" was :smile: really good for a small introduction
Reply 339
My teacher just sent our class these attachments, they might be of help for some people :biggrin:

They are about Water & Superpowers for section A

Hope they are of some use! :smile:

:bubbles:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending