The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
also because I'm having a shared room, will I find out who my roommate is before going or literally as we move in?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by r05hni
also because I'm having a shared room, will I find out who my roommate is before going or literally as we move in?

If it's like all the other halls you won't know who you're living with until you get there. Not sure if it's different for shared rooms though.

Wednesday Bass
QFA :smile:
Original post by r05hni

You don't find out till you move in. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, the warden's pretty good at matching people up.
I have applied for Harry French.
Will they email me asking brief description about myself and how will they match roommates?
Original post by mint treasure
I have applied for Harry French.
Will they email me asking brief description about myself and how will they match roommates?

Yep, you'll get that email sometime after results day (i.e. when your place at the uni is confirmed) and they'll try match the flats with interests.
Hey, I'm doing the Art Foundation at loughborough, applied for my accommodation this morning and got en-suite at cayley. Anyone else going there or does anyone know much about it?
Reply 746
Original post by Goodtimes.
Anyone here got The Holt for there accommodation?
And could someone who knows about it or have lived there tell me some useful information about it? As it wasnt one of my choices and was the only one left.

Much appreciated :smile:

I got the Holt too :smile: So excited!!! From this facebook page it looks pretty fun, and they have some good pics of the rooms etc... http://www.facebook.com/holthallfreshers2011?sk=wall
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You're guaranteed accommodation, there's just no guarantees about which accommodation. They will try to give you one of your preferences, or at least something similar if that's not possible, but nothing's certain.

Hi i am also in the same situation, applied 1 minute late (tech problem). I just wanted to know when i find out what accomodation i got? Is it also worth looking at accomodation outside the uni?

Also, what are Butler Court ensuite rooms like?
Original post by sweetmango
Hi i am also in the same situation, applied 1 minute late (tech problem). I just wanted to know when i find out what accomodation i got? Is it also worth looking at accomodation outside the uni?

Also, what are Butler Court ensuite rooms like?

You'll find out what sort of accommodation you got after results day if I remember correctly, a few days after. There's a few nice halls run privately in town, but they do tend to be quieter and further out of the way - about a 20 minute walk onto campus alone - although one of my mates is in a private hall called The Cube which is out past the west side of campus which is really nice and about on par with what the university charges - but it is a 10-15 minute walk to the Wolfson building.

See here for a post I made about the Butler Shared rooms.
i cant remember where i read it from but i do remember reading it but it is true that there is a possible switch with other students for their rooms if you're in preference? So once you get your room there is an option to talk to other students about switching rooms? i think that would be another mess but hoping its true :biggrin:?
Original post by IanLim93
i cant remember where i read it from but i do remember reading it but it is true that there is a possible switch with other students for their rooms if you're in preference? So once you get your room there is an option to talk to other students about switching rooms? i think that would be another mess but hoping its true :biggrin:?

Afraid not. When you get an offer from preferences you can accept it or decline it - but if you decline there's no guarantee that you'll get into a Uni-ran hall.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Afraid not. When you get an offer from preferences you can accept it or decline it - but if you decline there's no guarantee that you'll get into a Uni-ran hall.

Pity :frown: i thought it was too good to be true. I'm just praying i get a decent hall and some place i can afford =/ i really don't want to be off campus for the first year.
Reply 752
Morning :smile: I just wanted to ask if anyone knows much about royce hall? I applied a bit late and ended up going for a standard room. Thanks :smile:
Pity :frown: i thought it was too good to be true. I'm just praying i get a decent hall and some place i can afford =/ i really don't want to be off campus for the first year.

I wouldn't worry too much about being of campus if you don't like the offer they give you - some of them can be cheaper/nicer than the halls on campus. I mentioned in an earlier post about a private hall off-campus called The Cube - I have a friend staying there pay about Ā£2 more per week than I am in a Butler shared en-suite and he has a double bed, en-suite, and a living area that came with a 32" TV. The only real issue is that the private halls don't have their own Freshers events (as far as I know), so you could just check each Freshers group for nights out in Freshers week.

You'll make friends either way, tbh.
I wouldn't worry too much about being of campus if you don't like the offer they give you - some of them can be cheaper/nicer than the halls on campus. I mentioned in an earlier post about a private hall off-campus called The Cube - I have a friend staying there pay about Ā£2 more per week than I am in a Butler shared en-suite and he has a double bed, en-suite, and a living area that came with a 32" TV. The only real issue is that the private halls don't have their own Freshers events (as far as I know), so you could just check each Freshers group for nights out in Freshers week.

You'll make friends either way, tbh.

thanks me and my mate who got stucked with preference is going to ask around. Do you know any more private hall off campus?
thanks me and my mate who got stucked with preference is going to ask around. Do you know any more private hall off campus?

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/studentprivatehalls/studentaccommodation_lphs_Loughborough.asp

I know nothing about any of those by the way, but probably a good starting point if you're considering private halls.

Actually it is possible to swap with another student, I don't know how though but I presume if you both ring up the accommodation and tell them the details then they sort it out for you - you have to find someone specific though (so ask around on facebook pages, or here). I've got two friends in Butler who knew each other before and asked to be put together (one of them had been given a place in a different hall - e.g. rutherford, no idea which one it was - and another girl said about wanting to swap on facebook or somewhere and because the friend in butler didn't really fancy living with a complete stranger her friend asked to swap halls with the other girl they didn't know, so now the two friends share in butler court and the facebook girl gets to live in rutherford)

There's an off campus hall called kingfisher, i think the students who have no choice but to go there can affiliate to the nearest uni ran hall (well, that's what happened last year) - so they get to participate in their freshers week. All I know of Kingfisher is that there are quite a lot of art foundation students there because they're not guaranteed accommodation.
Original post by Suhur
Morning :smile: I just wanted to ask if anyone knows much about royce hall? I applied a bit late and ended up going for a standard room. Thanks :smile:

Been a few years since I lived there, but if it's anything like it used to be you have a great year. It's more or less centre of campus too, in the middle of the student village, great location in my opinion.

I had a standard room too, showers got a bit busy before nights out, but everyone would eventually get one. Other than that shared showers/toilets were fine, they're cleaned regularly...

Food is ok, not fine dining, but certainly edible. And St. Fred's day is huge.

Anything else?
Reply 759
Original post by LittleBill
Been a few years since I lived there, but if it's anything like it used to be you have a great year. It's more or less centre of campus too, in the middle of the student village, great location in my opinion.

I had a standard room too, showers got a bit busy before nights out, but everyone would eventually get one. Other than that shared showers/toilets were fine, they're cleaned regularly...

Food is ok, not fine dining, but certainly edible. And St. Fred's day is huge.

Anything else?

Thank you! Just one final thing, the biggest worry that I have is that I don't drink, I'm just slightly concerned I'll have a **** time if everyone else there is drunk every night!

Thanks for the info tho! :smile:

Latest